“Break” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
Bingley, United Kingdom
“Break”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights in the premier suite. I booked this B&B after the reveiws and photos. The hosts were lovely, helpful and full of advice on the best places in Chester to visit. Breakfast was excellent. We were disappointed with our room though. It was clean, but had large cracks in the ceiling in the bathroom. Some of the paint looked in need of refreshing. There was plenty of furniture and the room was very bright but the spider splat mark above the bed and holes where hooks had been removed made the room seem tired andin need of tlc.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
cheltlodge, Owner at Cheltenham Lodge, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
I am sorry to hear through tripadvisor that you were unhappy with your stay with us at the Cheltenham Lodge.

I am extremely upset that you did not mention these points prior to your departure, As prior to your payment the day before you left I asked if everything was to your satisfaction and as you left on the day of departure of which on both occasions you stated that every thing was fine and making no mention of the points that you decided to reveal on tripadvisor.

I think I gave you every opportunity to air your dissatisfaction directly to me. I do disagree with you that the bedroom is tied and in need of some tlc and feel that our picture just recently taken on bed and breakfast in chester portrays a true likeness of all the rooms at the Cheltenham Lodge.

However, I do agree that the bathroom ceiling has some cracks; with all of the heavy rain we have been experiencing we had developed a leak; on the back of this we had reduced your room rate for you and feel that this more than compensated. You must have noticed that next door had scaffolding up fixing their roof that joins our property on the side that the bathroom which is where the leak originated from.

For future guests I had prior enlisted the roofer to come and fix this problem out and this wiil all be at the end of this month.

The splat over the bed that you mentioned was not of a spider, it was actually fresh strawberries that a couple that had the room prior to you, were throwing at the ceiling whilst they were in bed, I know this as I was up there picking them off and trying to clean the ceiling prior to your arrival.

You unfortunately didn’t make any mention to me on your departure that you had walked in the contents of the plastic bag coffee granules that you brought with you, into our wool light beige carpet that was only fitted last year, which also continued through all over the bathroom floor. I found this extremely disheartening as this took me all day to tidy the room prior to our next guest’s arrival. This is the problem with many people to day; they want everything to be perfect but are unwilling to look after other people’s property for future guests.

I can assure possible future guests that our rooms are of good quality and well maintained

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights here recently on a city break in Chester, and the B&B was perfect. Our room (facing the rear) was large, very clean and had everything we needed, along with peace and quiet. We slept so well!

Breakfast was fantastic. A great choice and we didn't feel hungry during our entire stay. David was a wonderful host, friendly and full of information. We didn't feel it was over the top at all. It was welcoming.

There was indeed a "do not clean the room" sign if you wanted that option.

The only suggestions I have (and these did not affect our opinion of our stay at all) is that I would have liked a clock in the room, and blinds in the bathroom. There was a net curtain but I could see into the next room along so wondered if they could see me. I ended up cleaning my teeth in the dark!

If we visit Chester again I would definitely return to this B&B.

Room Tip: Rear facing are quieter
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Accrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

ann and dave made us feel very welcome. Location was on the main rd straight into chester town centre . very good public house across road .Accomodation was brill big family room very clean and en suite bathroom my family would go back without a doubt thanks again ann and dave

Room Tip: family room was very clean and could not here and road noise what so ever
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

just returned from a weekend break with my sister in laws 3 and what a spotlessly comfortable stay well kept and the breakfast was first class would highly recomend what one person has complained about on here is petty

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

I found the stay at the cl quite over bearing in the sense that David will not back off. A lot of reviews are happy with the service but I found it intrusive . You do not get the 'do not disturb' option. I was appalled to find my room had been tidied and soiled underwear had been shook out and placed on a pile of clothes. It is too familiar. We are not visiting friends, we are paying for a room and it should be left that way. I'm not against a friendly smile in the morning but a line needs to be drawn.

• Stayed July 2012
cheltlodge, Owner at Cheltenham Lodge, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Madame

Your first written review on trip advisor and I’m sorry to hear that you were unhappy with our service.

I have noticed that you have made no mention of how well maintained, clean and comfortable our rooms and beds were that your mother mentioned to me prior to departure and how I helped you with your luggage to your room.

All hotels and guesthouses have a duty to clean their rooms daily as this is a requirement made by the tourist board. If you don’t want your room tidied all you have to do is say. It would have saved my cleaner the trauma of having to move them (they would not have been shook out), to be able to do her job, clean. We like our guests to come back to a clean and tidy room.

However as you found our service so intrusive I have now implemented for future guests, a notice to hang on the door stating that you do not require the room to be cleaned. I put laundry bags in all of the room for used items of clothing that need to be taken home to be cleaned.

A short note to add to readers.

I am a happy, helpful person who loves his job in the service sector looking after guests, giving them advice during their visit to Chester and my home.

If you don’t require my help, please just say, I won’t be offended in any way.

Kind regards

David
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

With the rain pouring down outside, it was the most comforting thing in the world to be served the most fantastic full cooked breakfast from the charming and cheerful host. Absolutely delicious bacon, sausages and eggs - pride of Chshire. Nothing was too much trouble, and the green tea was especially appreciated. The beds were comfortable, the rooms spacious and were perfectly quiet from the noise of the traffic. Terrific value for money.

Room Tip: The downstairs family room is next to the breakfast room. Bear in mind unless you are early risers.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Very disappointed - our experience differed from the other trip advisor posts. The room was large but had a musty smell, the beautiful leaded light windows had mildew growing on the inside, to the side of the shower cubicle was disgusting and had not been cleaned for some time. The breakfast was extremely limited and they didn't even have Earl Grey tea. It could be improved with very little additional effort - such a shame as the owners were lovely.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
cheltlodge, Owner at Cheltenham Lodge, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for your review, however I found it quite a perturbing read. As you quite rightly state it does differ significantly from other reviews and a countless number of comments of happy guests during their stay and as they leave.

All of my rooms are freshly decorated and cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis; this has been noted by the professional hotel inspector from the AA, who each year gives us a through inspection of all of our rooms with out any notice, until their departure the next morning after breakfast.

You are correct we do not carry Earl Gray tea, as we do not personally feel that this is a valued blend of tea. However you would have been offered an alternative tea that milk should not taken with (Green Tea), of which we do stock and is of a better quality. Please understand that we are unable to stock all of the choices of tea that are available, but what we do carry is popular and of good quality. It is hard to cater to everyone’s individual taste.

With the comment of a limited choice of breakfast, I do feel that this is an incorrect comment, for people reading this review please see our new website where you can see our full breakfast menu from a full English breakfast to Scrambled eggs with smoked Salmon or for continental freshly baked croissants & pans au Chocolat with fresh fruit and yoghurt and pictures of the presentation of which the customer was offered and would have received. You will also be able to view pictures of all of our large en suit rooms.

I do wish that you would have mentioned all of your unhappiness during your 2 night stay, either on the 1st morning or even on your departure rather than leaving unhappy.

I do feel that we offer a good standard of service, breakfast and quality of rooms for the price that we charge.

Yours truly
David

Been to Cheltenham Lodge? Share your experiences!