“Nice stay in a nice location - good value” 4 of 5 stars

Grosvenor Place Guest House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   2 Grosvenor Place, Chester CH1 2DE, England   |
Ranked #27 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Nice stay in a nice location - good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here one night in Chester and was very pleased. Nice location close to the city centre and the racecourse. Very good breakfast made to order the next morning. The host was wonderful and friendly. I thought this was very good value for money compared to similar places in the area.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Turkish first
Bolton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

The Grosvenor place is in an ideal spot for shopping, sight seeing, night out. Just bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.
The room, room 2, was large, clean, comfy bed, nice big wardrobe. As previously mentioned, the bathroom needs a makeover but that's no big deal, though if I might offer some constructive criticism ....I think no toiletries or just one small shower gel would give a better impression than a refilled radox bottle .... Also the kettle is past its best (Sorry)
The stained glass windows in the room are gorgeous, and the tv and free wifi excellent.
Iain was very helpful with advice about free parking and we were impressed with his new voucher scheme - on our first morning we took the option of an £8 voucher for his panini press cafe around the corner and really enjoyed the option of a lie in then fresh coffee, bacon and cheese panini, at a time that suited us.
However breakfast at the b&b on Sunday was faultless, excellent quality sausage and bacon, as much toast and coffee as we could manage, cereal and juice as well. A 5 star brekky. And very accommodating, portions were gone to me, but I've no doubt if you said what you wanted, 2 eggs for example, you could have it. Tomatoes and mushrooms were fresh too, fantastic.
We enjoyed drinks in the pub across the cobbles, the saddle, also the kings head, very nice. And good food at la Fattoria and the Indian on lower bridge Street.
I'd definitely recommend this b&b, on location and breakfast alone it's good value. And Chester is a fab city to visit
Thankyou Iain and colleagues x

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Grosvenor-Place-Mgmt, Owner at Grosvenor Place Guest House, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased you had a good stay and I accept your comments fully. I'm redecorating throughout in January so I will take the opportunity to renew the kettles in all the rooms then.

Maybe it would be better to provide the disposable mini bottles of shower gel as you suggest.

I hope when you come back and stay again I will have completed some changes to room 2 which I think will make it my favourite room.

I hope you will be presently surprised

Iain
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great location, friendly staff, clean rooms and great breakfast, first time we have been offered smoke salmon as an alternative to your regular cooked breakfast, made our weekend stay in Chester really enjoyable, would happily stay again on a short break

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
I am so happy that you had a pleasant stay with us.
Costa Blanca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at the Grosvenor Place Guest House for two nights. We found it to be an idea place to explore the city from. The beds were extremely comfortable and there was everything you needed in the room including a jar of biscuit's that we put a sizeable dent into. We arrived outside of the check-in times and so called the phone number to see if we could drop off our bags which was no trouble and the owner was there within 2 mins.
As for all the people that have left reviews complaining about the rooms/ plastic chairs/ scuffs to the paint (Which I didn't even notice!) each to their own but I can only presume that they paid significantly more than I did
An excellent place for an excellent price we would definitely stay here if we were to visit Chester again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
I know it takes time to put together a review so thank you for going to the trouble of rating us. I am going to redecorate throughout in the first 2 weeks of January so the few scuff marks in the stairwell caused by guests' cases will be gone. I am so happy you had a good stay and feel it was value for money.

I hope we see you again soon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

This is a wonderful B and B in the centre of Chester. We arrived early but were able to leave our suitcases to go off and return later. On our return we were greeted by the owner and friendly staff who made us feel very welcome. We were suggested a lovely Italian restaurant to eat at during our stay. The twin room on the top floor was clean and comfortable. Loved the stained glass window. Although the bathroom was small there was plenty of hot water and an electric shower. Very comfy beds with crisp linen. Did not find this room noisy at night. Only woken by the glass recycling one morning from the opposite pub.
Thoroughly enjoyed the full English breakfast during the 3 day stay. Staff always courteous and nothing was too much trouble. Extra tea, coffee or toast was always on offer. Enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere at breakfast and chatting to other guests.
I loved the fact that within a couple of minutes walk from the B and B there were lovely coffee and tea rooms, excellent restaurants, fantastic shops and a weath of history around the centre. Enjoyed the visit to the cathedral and walking around the city walls.
I would highly recommend Grosvenor Place and would stay there again if returning to Chester. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay in Chester.
Brampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

We stayed here on our wedding anniversary on our way home from a sad occasion. Our hosts were incredibly kind and helpful, making good suggestions for eateries and managing our parking permits so we didn't have to worry about getting fined. I mentioned in passing that it was our anniversary and behold, next morning there was a box of chocolates for me at breakfast! I was very touched. The room was comfortable and breakfast was tasty. Restaurants were within easy walking distance and altogether it was a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review the Guest House. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Salisbury, Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2014

This is an amazing b&b right in the heart of Chester with really helpful owners. Its not a five star hotel but a friendly b&b with a nice atmosphere and there were some lovely people staying there. The wonderful shops are less than a minute away as is Café Nero (I love Café Nero). I have just stayed for three nights and although there is no off street parking, this was not an issue. I was given two hour parking permits which allowed me to park outside the b&b for this period. After 4pm the Crown Court Car Park is available and completely free and this is only a minute away. You have to move your car by 7.45 am and then another two hour parking permit enables parking just outside the b&b. I needed my car during the day so all this was just perfect. The single room is very much on the small side but I didn't help matters by bringing far too many clothes (usual story!) so I found it hard to keep the room tidy. For the final night I was moved to a double room at the single rate and this was just brilliant. The beds are very comfortable, the heating was on and there was lots of hot water. Despite the proximity to the city centre there is really very little traffic noise and I am convinced that the pub opposite is a ghost pub because I heard nothing at all from it and saw no customers go in or out! A great place if you want to explore Chester and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: If you book the single room be prepared for the fact that its small and don't take too many clot...