“Realy, really good” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Chester

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Chester to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Chester
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Trinity Street, Chester CH1 2BD, England (Formerly Chester Moat House Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 45 hotels in Chester
“Realy, really good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

No complaints whatsoever. The room was clean and the bed huge. Reception fine and really helpful. Really easy to get to the centre of Chester. Buffet breakfast was as good as any I have had. I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel and will stay again without doubt.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us.

I am very pleased to read that you have no complaints from your time with us and you found our location to be a particular boon. I’m very happy to read that you would recommend us without hesitation and I hope to welcome you back soon.

743 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel dozens of times. Here's the lowdown:

Exceptional: the attentiveness and quality of their service. They are all friendly personalities and super professional, whoever was recruiting and managing there these past few years is doing a great job. Really helpful. I have never experienced bad service in the years I've been staying there. It's the main reason I've kept going back.

Annoyances: top of the list is the Car Park. It is a massive source of stress because it only has enough space for about 25% of the guests staying there. You get to the point of deciding not to take the car because you don't want to lose your space and have to drive round Chester late at night to find one when you get back. The lack of space also tends to cause anti-social behaviour amongst the other guests. Sometimes the barrier will let you in because they think there are spaces free, then you find some idiot has parked their car inconsiderately across two spaces, so you have to do a 45 point turn in the narrow lane to get back out again. All of this means it can easily take you 20 minutes from arriving at the hotel to actually walking through the front door. You have been warned :)

The only other annoyance is the rigmarole at breakfast. You have to stand and queue for ages whilst they take your room number, as the entrance area is not manned but depends on someone noticing you there and sauntering over. On occasion I have stood there for 10 minutes getting looked at blankly as the staff rush about. This delay is annoying in the morning when you need to get off to work, and is not necessary. Having held you up that way, they then complete the process by not supplying tea and coffee machines in the breakfast buffet area. You actually
have to ask for it when they seat you. Literally half the time they will then forget to bring it to you. Most people are pretty desperate for tea or coffee first thing in the morning, so I've no idea why they insist on doing it that way.

The only reason I put up with those two things is the quality of the service generally, particularly at reception, and the very central location in Chester.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your time with us.

I am pleased to read that you continue to stay with us and find that our team members are excellently trained and they continue to make your stays memorable. I am sorry that the size of our hotel car park is too small for your needs and that the breakfast service was slow. It is our busiest time of day but your comments have been taken down for consideration and I will be sure to mention them to our team members at the earliest convenience.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Staff were incredibly helpful at this hotel, ensuring that we had excellent service and were made to feel very welcome. The hotel is close to the Race course, but also within short walking distance of the centre of the city - a very interesting place with lots of history. Very good choice of breakfast, and there is a strong emphasis on helping guests get a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as these ensure that staff do not carry out routine maintenance between 9pm and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found that our breakfasts were what you needed to set you up for the day. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed here in March 2013. It is a lovely hotel and the reception staff ere great, very friendly and welcoming. The room was nice and spacious although not much of a view but it didn't matter. The bed was really comfortable with good quality bedding, the little extras; coffee sachets, hotel chocolate and biscuits were great. Disappointingly the kettle didn't work and looked as though it had had the fuse removed! As only there for one night didnt bother asking for a replacement. Great hotel all in all. Parking was extra, I think about £12. Although when we arrived there were no spaces - there is a council carpark next to the hotels. It is locked at night and was only a couple of pounds (between 5pm and 9am)

Room Tip: There is a council car park next to the hotels if the hotels is full. Cheaper too!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found us to be a great hotel with good team members. I’m sorry your kettle wasn’t working but I’m glad it did not impair your stay. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Parking at the hotel was a nightmare, small car park with some very difficult spaces. It took over five minutes of shunting backwards and forwards to get into the only available space ! Quite a nice executive room but pretty small and just a small window in the corner that only opened half an inch.
We visited the exec lounge for pre dinner drinks, it was quite small so hard to get a seat, the canapés were not much to write home about at all and not much choice in drinks either.
Dinner was a pretty poor experience, you had to ask for everything, can we have a wine list, of course. Can we order some wine ....no because no one came back to take our order. Can we have a desert menu....no because no one came near us so we couldn't ask for one. Can we have the bill....no because still no one had come near us. We got up and left....still no one came over, oh well I expect they'll manage to put it on our room. Yep they did, amazing what they can do when they try!
Breakfast was a better experience because they had a very good supervisor in charge and she made sure they were on the ball. The carpet was covered in food in places which a few guests commented on but it was just left. Breakfast was nice and better than dinner.
Our room was unbearably hot even with the air con blowing as cool as it would so not a lot of sleep was had.
All in all a pretty disappointing stay for our anniversary. Not Crown plaza standard at all and nowhere near as good as a Marriott.

Room Tip: Think twice about an exec room as they are in the rafters and unbearably hot at night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am disappointed to read that your stay was not to the standard we hope our guests find their time with us. I have taken your comments into account and I will be sure to discuss them with our team members at the earliest convenience to ensure this does not happen again. I hope that this has not deterred you from returning to the hotel and I hope to welcome you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss your concerns in More detail

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed here for one night on a combined business/pleasure trip with my wife. Someone else chose the hotel and booked the room. I do not like to have to enter the hotel through a gloomy underpass. Nor do I like the Crown chain's pretentious aesthetics once you get indoors - much to much red and bling and cheap marble - but I realize that many people will disagree.

On the plus side the hotel is centrally located, the staff in the reception was very welcoming and helpful and our (third floor?) Executive Room was spacious and clean - with a stunning view over the race court towards the mountains in Wales.

On the minus side the window had net curtains that could not be drawn unless you stood on a chair to unhook it in the corner - only to discover that one of the double glazings had been punctured and was misted over. And even worse, the windows could not be opened - a real turn-off in any hotel room. The King Bed was good but the pillows were all the same: Too big and too firm.

Also, Executive meant access to a lounge, which turned out to be a crowded, confined space with no real windows and a television on full blast. This was also where the included, continental breakfast was served - or rather, set out, since there was no staff in sight. The selection was limited and not very good, several of the plates were dirty, and there was not enough cutlery.

On top of that, you had to pay for wifi access. Really, in 2013? If that's executive I am glad we didn't end up in a regular room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

I am sorry to read that although you found several aspects of your stay good, you left feeling disappointed with what you experienced. Firstly, I would like to explain why our bedroom windows do not open due to safety reasons. I understand this is uncomfortable for some guests but it is a Health and Safety necessity. I am pleased to announce that should you be a Gold or Platinum member of our IHG Rewards Club (formally the Priority Club) you will receive complimentary WiFi for the duration of your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Ashbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Took my wife for her birthday... hoped my platinum status and the fact I sent an email, would get us some little extras but it got us nothing! Room ok, good location. I expect there are much hotels in Chester, don't expect their loyalty scheme to count for anything.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am sorry to read that you found your platinum status was not taken into account during your time with us but I am pleased you brought it to my attention so I can ensure this never happens again with our guests. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Mark Thacker

Been to Crowne Plaza Chester? Share your experiences!