“Central location with depressing entrance area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Chester

You added Crowne Plaza Chester to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Chester
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Trinity Street, Chester CH1 2BD, England (Formerly Chester Moat House Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Ireland
“Central location with depressing entrance area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Coming out the front door of this hotel and you feel like you're standing under a motorway flyover - it really is very depressing. On a glorious weekend in June, somewhere to sit outside would have been nice. Otherwise, delivered as advertised. Room was excellent, and clearly they had put some nice touches in it, to make up for the shortcomings. Would have been nice if the curtin had fitted - sunshine streaming through the cracks at 5am wasn't great. Food (breakfast) was alright without being anything special. Also tried the gym - equipment limited, but all in perfect working order. Staff were (mostly) very good. Had to pay for parking!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
north wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Family Weekend away, double birthday celebration - what a nightmare! Checked in to an executive room on the Friday evening, on entry all seemed well, good sized room and clean. After being in there only 10 minutes the heat became unbearable, having found the air conditioning unit we set it on full and went out for dinner, on returning the room was still boiling hot. We had approximately 3 hours sleep, extremely uncomfortable and had violent headaches. I spoke to reception, they were aware of the problem, the conceirge even said " I know, I know, don't tell me??" A fan was put in our room and the window opened by staff which contravened health and safety guidelines.

We spent the Saturday at the races and had booked a table for that evening in the Kings Suite for the Comedy Show. After the show my 25 year old son went outside for a cigarette, as he was gone some considerable time his partner went to see if all was okay. What she found was my son had been violently attacked on the staircase inside the Hotel. Apparently as he was walking back inside four men ran in after him and started to beat him up, it turned out to be mistaken identity?? What became apparent was there was no security on the entrance or inside, the Duty Manager saw some of the assault and did absolutely nothing to help my son, when he was challenged as to why he replied " I phoned the police, what more do you want" The way he handled this was appalling. The police arrived and watched the CCTV footage which clearly showed the attack, this is now being looked into.

My point here is, as guests of a hotel you expect a degree of security and protection, neither are available here. Throughout this whole upsetting event not one member of hotel staff asked my son or our family if we were okay, no support was offered or room to speak with the police, we were left in reception, visibly upset and trying to deal with the situation infront of passing public. The Duty Manager was an absolute disgrace in his manner and support, he did not at any time help or apologise for what had just happend. His constant shoulder shrugging in reply to my questions was unbearable. No one was able to tell me why there was no security, had there been this would never had happend, a fact acknowledged by the police!! I hold the Crowne Plaza fully responsible for this.

When we did eventually get to retire, the room was once again like a furnace. I sat up crying for most of the night and checked out at 7.30am without taking breakfast. The receptionist apologised for the room conditions and offered us free parking - £15.00 for the two nights. I paid £518.00 for the room, so an offer of £15 compensation was insulting.

I am going to take this complaint to the top with media coverage as I feel people need to be aware that this place is not safe at night and If you are faced with the same nightmare then you can be assured that the staff will not help you, infact I would go as far to say that the Duty Manager was entirely responsible for the nightmare we found ourselves in as he handling of events was questionable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
gm_cpchester, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chester, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Dear Pandora22

I would firstly like to apologise for the air-conditioning fault. I can appreciate how uncomfortable this made you feel due to the high temperatures we experienced during your stay with us. I would also like to apologise for the way that this was handled after you reported the air-conditioning fault to my reception team. Please be assured that I have personally spoken to the team members involved and reiterated our procedure when dealing with such matters, to ensure a speedy resolution is found. I can also confirm that this was the only room in the hotel affected.

With regards to the very concerning incident that happened when your son went out for a cigarette and the subsequent assault on him by members of the general public, I can confirm that this is the first unprompted assault of a hotel guest in my time here as General Manager.

I would also like to reassure our clients that we take the health and safety of our guests extremely seriously and as such take all the necessary steps to ensure that we do every thing in our control to maintain this.

As we have already communicated to you this was a most unfortunate random event, which could not have been foreseen. Assistance was offered to your son immediately, and the team members involved, then followed our internal accident and incident management procedures regarding such incidents.

I would also like to note that we do provide security personnel at the hotel, when the city has events on, to ensure the entry and volume of guests is controlled, and they remain on duty until the numbers return to normal business levels, which happened on the date in question .

Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night. It was an average hotel. The staff were friendly enough and the room was clean. Nothing to complain about but nothing to write home about either!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Stirling, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

We only stayed one night as we were headed elsewhere, but we will try to return. The room was fine. A normal hotel room, with all you need, but very clean. And well maintained.
Reception was efficient and friendly - but the real delight was the fantastic service at breakfast. The manager seemed to have a pleasant relationship with the staff. They all appeared to be very well trained. No dirty dishes left on tables, tea and coffee offered before you knew you needed it! All done efficiently and discreetly. It was a real joy to watch.
Unlike another reviewer, I thought £7.50 for city centre car parking was fairly reasonable.
We will use this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We Stayed at the Crown Plaza Chester for two nights 3rd & 4th June as a last minute getaway first impressions were not good as we couldnt access the car park and when we did we were charged £7.50 per day to park there! I think this is a bit steep personally I do understand that this is a city centre location but I wish the hotel was a little bit more upfront about the car park charges in the booking process as we most likely would not of booked!!

Also my partner was then charged twice upon check in but this was refunded straight away as we had booked via last minute who had taked the payment so not a great first imppresion!

But that said the hotel is really nice great big bed very comfortable and a fab breakfast and really close to the city centre all the staff we encountered were excellent the pool was great way to cool down after a days sightseeing

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in May, we looked at all the central hotels in Chester but decided in the Crowne Plaza as we have previously stayed at other Crowne Plazas and never been disappointed. The hotel can appear a bit cold and corporate at first but this is quickly overcome by the friendliness of the staff throughout. We had an Executive Room on the third floor with views over the Welsh Hills and the racecourse, very comfortable, lovely and quiet on a night allowing a good nights sleep, really good breakfast. Location is superb, you are less than five minutes walk from the centre of Chester with its plentiful shops, bars and restaurants. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will no doubt return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Peak District Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

We have had a great weekend at the Crowne Plaza, the service provided is 1st class and nothing is too much trouble for the staff, they looked after us from start to finish. As it was our wedding anniversary a complimentary bottle of wine and lovely little greetings card was delivered to our room! The hotel is spotless and the rooms VERY well designed and thought out, very comfortable, and they seem to have thought of everything. The breakfast is very extensive with many choices and very good - highly recommended. The pool, jacuzzi and beauty salon is very theraputic and the staff are very nice in there. We stayed here many times when it was the Moat House Hotel and it was very good then, but now the Crowne Plaza is superb. We will be going back on a regular basis as we can be sure that we will be very well looked after. Why can't all hotels be like this? We highly recommend the Crowne Plaza - IT'S GREAT!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Chester? Share your experiences!