“Great for kids” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Great for kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Fab fab Sunday lunch, kids played outside on the wonderful play ship which has astro turf so not dirty. The kids menu is £7 for meal and pus, make your own pizza and pasta which they loved and the puddings were huge, they ate really well as they had been playing out! Waitress was lovely, really good with kids. Would recommend for family's and also friends night out.

Uckfield
“A new exciting venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

In the middle of the racecourse, with its own carpark, the White Horse is quite a different sort of pub - all green oak beams and plate glass - with loads of outside space and kids play area. The food is excellent and slightly adventurous, certainly enjoys playing with words on the menu. One starter: a scotch egg of spicy tender lamb with a soft egg inside, sitting on a bed of coronation sauce. Brilliant!
Starters £6 or £7, mains £12 to £17
The atmosphere in the pub is excellent, with gentle but bright light in te evening. I'm sure its just as good in daytime. One problem: this out-strips the racecourse's more formal 1539 Restaurant, which is a shame. The owners are competing with themselves, at the same level, and 1539 is losing the battle!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“Disappointed on second visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We visited here with some friends up from London and were pleased they managed to fit us in at short notice on a race night and I just was hoping that the service had improved since my first visit. But alas I was disappointed to find the some old scenario - long waits for service and having to seek out staff to settle the bill and leave. The food was nice but expensive for what it was, I have since experienced much better service and food at an alternative venue near by. I will go here again probably only for a drink with my friends who have children and love the child friendly aspect with free parking.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Just had to come back with all the family!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

As is the case for many, September/October is a busy time for most with birthday celebrations, and this year, it was my Mum's 60th. Family was travelling from all over, Dundee, Liverpool, Manchester, Prestatyn etc. and my sister and I were tasked with picking a relatively central location for all. Chester was suggested, and due to my previous experience of The White Horse, I happily recommended it as the venue of choice.

I phoned to book and was greeted cheerily on the phone by a lady called Debbie, who could not be more friendly or helpful in accommodating a party of 21 on a Sunday afternoon. We were advised that Sundays can be quite busy so it was a good thing we booked in plenty of advance.

On arrival, due to the variety of locations people were coming from, some guests had arrived, and we were waiting for others. As not all were here, we were shown to the rather comfy couches by the fireplaces (thankfully not lit on this occasion as the late summer sun was rather warm!) and the children quickly went out to make the most of the weather and the fantastic play area.

Typically, the guest of honour was late, as is often the case, but this was no issue for the staff, despite our arrival being in the midst of a day when it was so busy, inside and out. We had brought our own cakes, made by my other half, and again it was no problem for these to be stored safely away until later on.

Despite the busy day and the large number in our group, we were looked after wonderfully by a young gentleman called Dan - always smiling, pleasant and efficient, everyone commented and appreciated his efforts. By this stage on the Sunday, unfortunately the kitchen had run out of the dish I really wanted - Mussels cooked in cider with wilted greens and bacon. But by all accounts we were informed the kitchen had served in excess of 300 customers already by that point and didnt show many signs of slowing either. Instead I opted for the Roast Pork Loin - and my word, it was wonderful. Generous servings of meat and veg - but the pork especially was beautiful and succulent. Something you wont ever find going for a cheap carvery Sunday dinner. On looking at talking to the other guersts, it was soon apparent that everyone was raving about their own selections, the roasted beef, fish and chips, pasta, - apparently I would have equally enjoyed them all (and of course the make your own pizza - I dont think my little one will ever choose anything else!).

Time for cakes and again the staff came to the fore - candles, plates, napkins and a knife - everything was provided for us and more than a couple came over to join in the obligatory rendition of Happy Birthday!

Dessert was quickly turned into a challenge, with two White Horse Sundae's ordered - and when they arrived everyone was stunned at the size! One was shared between 4 (and unfortunately still defeated them) - I shared the other with 4 others and we just about polished it off! A fantastic dessert to finish of a celebration and just the right amount of indulgence!!

Once again I was thoroughly stuffed but extremely satisfied. Not least by the bill which was extremely reasonable, especially given the size of our group. They have a nice incentive / loyalty card scheme too which I most certainly will be utilising. All guests also said they would happily make the trip especially to dine here again (even my sister in Dundee, though they might have to stay at the hotel on the racecourse as its a bit of a drive..!).

Above all, the birthday girl was made up - she loved the venue, the food and everything about her special day. I got a lot of the credit for it, but to be fair, that credit deserves to be shared between the staff also, they helped make the day (and the venue) spectacular. Thanks!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ewloe, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, log fire and first class restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The White Horse pub inside chester racecourse is an excellent place to go for food. Very clean and tidy building, very modern, with large glass windows to view the racecourse. It has an excellent outdoor children's play area making this a good place to go with the family all year round and not just on race days.

Visited September 2013