“Great pub, food & service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #57 of 376 restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Sportmans Arms in Tattenhall has reopened, unveiling a brand new look.The Burwardsley road local has been transformed to a cosy, traditional village pub following a two-week refurbishment.Our country village pub with dining in the heart of Cheshire. We love great pubs and we believe that The Sportman's arms is one! We have a good selection of guest beers, fine wine, and wholesome food, prepared and served daily. So please enjoy our pub as much as we do!
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Great pub, food & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Booked this following the great reviews it had got. Went here with my 2 daughters aged 11 & 12. Great pub with several eating areas means you do not feel you are packed in. The service was great as was the food, plenty on the menu to satisfy all three of us. The portion sizes are generous and great value. Would definately recommend a visit if in the Chester area

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Sportsman-Tattenhall, Manager at The Sportsmans Arms, Tattenhall, Chester, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your review, I'm very pleased that you and your daughters enjoyed our village pub. We hope the next time you are in the Chester area you'll come and visit us again. Kind regards Andy

87% Recommend
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Michelin starred food in a wonderful village setting. I have eaten here with various family and friends, and sampled both the a la carte and bar menu and the food was delicious. The service was very good with friendly staff, good selection of beer and inexpensive wine list.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review, we are glad you have enjoyed your dining experience at the Sportsmans,
but we would like to state for the benefit of others reading this, that we are not Michelin rated.
We do very good pub food and some seasonal specials that have a bit more technical skill and knowledge, but if you are after Michelin star food inn the Chester area. Then I recommend Simon Radley at the the Chester Grosvenor(1 star) and Sticky Walnut in Hoole which is certainly on its way to getting a star!
If however you want great pub food in a relaxed informal setting, with a budget to match then get yourself down to the Sportsmans.

Hope to see you again soon. Kindest regards Andy.
Sunderland
“Good Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed in a local farmhouse B&B and we ate in this local pub twice. Both times we had excellent food and good friendly service. Would recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review, I'm really pleased you visited us twice, whilst staying in the area and that you enjoyed our village pub. Hope you can visit us again if you are ever down here! Kind regards Andy and Emma
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fab, Fab, Fab!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stopped off in Tattenhall just to see what the village was like and stumbled across the Sportsman's Arms by chance. We decided to try their 3 course set menu for £12.95. What a good choice!! Great food, good portion sizes. We both opted for fish and chips. Nicest fish we've eaten in a restaurant in a long time and all courses were well presented. Very good service too. Can't wait to go back. Would highly recommend this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for a great review, I'm glad you enjoyed our fish and chips off our set Sunday menu, and I hope you get the opportunity to visit us again soon. Kind regards Andy
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
“Homely welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stopped here last night after a day at the Races, and was welcomed by the friendly staff. We sat on a very comfy sofa while we decided what to eat, decisions, decisions. I decided on the chili con carne on a bed of nachos and salad and then had a freshly made banoffee sweet, very tasty.
We were ushered into a lovely corner of the dining room, very private. Would I go back - most definitely. Everything was home made and fresh, and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Thank you, I will be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review. I'm very happy that you wrote this review, as I was away on holiday when you visited, and there is always a worry that 'the mice will play', so it is great that I came back to your review and other great feedback from my regulars! I hope you can visit us again soon, I'm off to look where I can go on my next holiday now. Thanks again Andy.