“Good hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse

You added Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Racecourse on New Crane Street, Chester CH1 2LY, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel is in a great location for the racecourse and the city. The rooms are comfortable and quite well equipped. The staff were all excellent giving lots of good advice as well as great service. The only problem is that it is close to a railway line and the hotel rooms are so hot (even though we stayed in October) you have to open the window. The train noise didn't bother me but if you want to keep the windows closed bring a fan to keep the room cooler. Why this hotel has to heat the rooms so much when each room has a good quality heater I cannot understand.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, your kind comments will be passed onto the team who I am sure will be thrilled.

I am sorry that your stay may have been disturbed by the noice caused by the nearby rail way tracks, although this is a rarley used line I understand how this may have caused noise with the window open. We try our best to allocate rooms accordingly however when we are full this becomes difficult and every room is required.

We have also purchased a large number of fans to keep the rooms cool during the summer or for any guest who requires one as we are aware every guest has different needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Chester in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Greek first
Belper, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was expecting a lot more from this stay at Chester. We were only there over night and were visiting Chester Zoo the next day.

The room was quite small and with the sofa bed down there was very little room in the room.

There were a lot of families in this night and some of the children were noisy as children are, but the walls must be paper thin because we could hear everything.

The breakfast was ok, the usual 3 hot buffet style you get at Express's.

Good parking and generally clean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Bangkokram,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast, parking and cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the room size and the noise during your stay. We will look into this. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Your Name
Case Manager
IHGCare
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was pleasantly suprised by this hotel.

Centrally located, my room had a fantastic view overlooking one of the straights of Chester Racecourse.

Very clean, nothing to complain about regarding this hotel, and great value.

Ideal for race goers.

Breakfast was a bit basic, with not the full selection one may not normally expect in a Holiday Inn, but this was a Holiday Inn Express, so I should have expected it - still quite acceptable though.

Would stay here again.

Room Tip: As for a room with a view overlooking the racecourse
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Scoullar, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of your stay here at the Holiday Inn Express, Chester race course.

I'm please to see you enjoyed your time, thank you for your lovely comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel. I shall pass this on to my housekeeping team, I'm sure they'll be please to see their hard work being noticed.

As an Express we are limited to certain breakfast items for brand standard but we do try and have plenty of continental options also.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future

kind regards

Operation manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The hotel is decent for the money that you pay, the room itself is ok with a comfy bed, TV and coffee facilities. The only criticism I had with the room is it was far too warm and I woke up a few times in the night due to being hot. Also the windows need to be triple glazed as the traffic is quite loud.

The check in was quick and professional with polite staff who told you all the basics like when breakfast is etc. The hotel was situated about a 10 minute walk from Chester city centre and there was a large car park that I felt happy to leave my car in.

The Breakfast was good - sausage, egg, beans toast etc. There was also cereals, fruit and croissants. I found it an enjoyable stay and would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hotel away from the main road and facing the racecourse itself.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay; your kind comments will be passed onto the staff who I am sure will be pleased.

I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast experience as you know we are limited to what we can offer due to brand standards of a Holiday Inn Express. I do however feel it is important to offer high quality items such as sausages sourced from a local butcher, fresh free range eggs and well known branded items such as Kellogg’s.

I am sorry your stay may have been disturbed by the noise from the road, I am aware that this is busy between peak times and when you return we will do our utmost to allocate you a room overlooking the race track as this is quieter.

During the summer we purchased a large number of fans to ensure the rooms remained cool and to cater for everybody’s requirement during their stay. On your return please see the reception staff who will be more than happy to assist.

Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

For the room rate, this hotel is hard to beat for a good nights sleep. Efficient polite staff, very clean rooms and comfy bed, meet the needs of many a traveller. Stay here in preference to some of the more apparently swish hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main road
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the 4 star rating you have issued.

Your kind comments have been passed on to the staff who are also delighted.

It is great to receive any review as I feel it is important to use each review as a tool to enhance what the hotel has to offer whilst keeping the things our guests love. It is great to read that you feel we offer great value for money.

We hope to see you again soon.

manchester (uk)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Check-in
This was a slow process and there was only a small queue.
Any his was because the poor girl was trying to serve at the bar and check people in.

Rooms
Clean functional room with the usual amenities, but No biscuits. had a strange smell to that I could not put my finger on.

Breakfast
This was ok, what you expect for a free breakfast.

Other
this is in a great location for the racecourse, as it is on the racecourse! It's also only a 10 minute walk from the town centre, but it is up a hill so be warned if you plan to walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the racecourse.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear jason r,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Location
Perfect for the racecourse and is only five minutes walk to the city centre and is situation just off the walls. There is a large onsite car park that is well lit is ideal for those driving. If you are on the train, a taxi will probably cost around £5.

Staff
Perfectly friendly and helpful as usual for Holiday Inn Expresses. They were courteous and efficient.

Room
Spotlessly clean, large TV with lots of channel. Well laid out. The bed was comfortable if a little bouncy! Good choice of pillows. There was plenty of desk space to work.

Bathroom
Small as is usual for this chain but well laid out and clean. Lovely shower and huge mirrors.

General
The bar area was really comfortable and clean and the prices weren't too bad. Apparently there is a 10% discount for Priority Club members but as I'd joined online I didn't have a card to prove.

Annoyingly, the wifi was out of action during my stay and the 3G reception in the hotel is poor so any plans to do any real work went out of the window. Unfortunately the staff seemed to be unable to rectify the wifi issue.

The noise level in the hotel was fine despite being next door to a railway line. The only issue I had was with fellow guests slamming doors and shouting at random intervals throughout the night. Because of this I had a poor night's sleep.

Unfortunately I had to check out before breakfast was served so cannot comment on it other than it smelt wonderful!

Overall
Lovely hotel, fantastic location, great for drivers, worth the £65 I paid. The only drawback was the fellow guests' noise levels and the wifi being out of action. I'd probably give it another try.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I am sure many future guests will find your review helpful.

We are very lucky with our location, having the city of Chester on our doorsteps enables all guests to experience this historic city to the full.

Your kind comments regarding the staff will be passed on as I am sure they will be pleased.

I am sorry you were unable to take advantage of the 10% off at the bar; a member of staff could have checked your details on line and confirmed your membership details.

I am sorry to hear that the Wi-Fi was down during your stay and can assure you that this problem has been rectified accordingly and available throughout the hotel now.

It is always disappointing to hear that someone’s stay was disturbed by other guests. This is extremely hard to manage; we do however have a night’s team who carry out security walks regularly to ensure noise is kept to a minimum. We also employ a security guard each weekend to assist the night team.

Once again thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated and we hope to see you again soon.

Operations Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse? Share your experiences!