“Excellent value - friendly efficient staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse

You added Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Racecourse on New Crane Street, Chester CH1 2LY, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Blackpool
“Excellent value - friendly efficient staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Booked through laterooms and got a good deal for the food and drink festival held at chester racecourse over Easter. Have to say I wasnt at all disappointed and didnt realise we would be so close to the city centre aswell. Our room was very clean, maybe a little small for the 4 of us but i was expecting that and the beds were very comfortable. Mini easter eggs on my daughters pillows were a lovely touch. We had breakfast included which was described as a continental breakfast. Seeing as I dont eat cereal or pastries I wasnt expecting to eat anything so I was delighted to find sausages and scrambled eggs and not the powdered rubbery tastless egg variety either - they were yummy. Staff were happy for us to leave our car in the car park for the day on the morning of our departure and were keen to know we had been happy with our stay (if only more hotels were as concerned). Chester was lovely and we will be returning for the festival again nxt year - wouldnt hesitate to rebook us into this hotel. I dont know what more people want from a 3 star hotel, it was ideal.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
ExpressChester, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review on The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us during the Easter period and glad you enjoyed the chocolate eggs. It is always great to see that a guest has taken the time to send a positive review.

We look at all reviews and learn from them and ensure we make the correct amendments whilst also keeping the things our guest love.

I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast offering and you may be glad to know when you stay next year we have now introduced cheese portions, bread rolls and baked beans.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Chester next year.

For any assistance booking for 2012 please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Steven Scoullar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Greek first
world traveller in Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Holiday Inn Epxress Chester racecourse is excatly like any other holiday inn express. Rooms are standard but good and roomy enough. Shower is ok but a bit smallish. Breakfast is poor, with basically some continental breakfast offerings and some overcooked scrambled egg.

Location is excellent as it is next to the racecourse, within easy walking distance of the centre and great parking space. Therefore it has not the usual disadvantages of other hotels in Chester.

Disadvantage is that the hotel is next to the railway, therefore trains start waking you up if you happen to be at the wrong side of the hotel. Please ask for a room not next to the railway!

Room Tip: There is not a best room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

We are always happy to read our reviews and use them to make improvements and also maintain the things our guests love. I would like to thank you for your positive comments and also for the constructive criticism.

We seen there was an issue with our scrambled eggs and have now changed the way in which we cook and present our eggs as well as introducing cheese portions, baked beans and bread rolls. Unfortunately brand standards prevent us from serving a full cooked English breakfast.

We always try and allocate rooms away from the railway tracks as we are aware that their may be noise from the occasional train, however occupancy levels don't always allow this. All requests are also accommodated to our best ability.

Once again thank you for your comments and should you require any accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Fab location right next to Chester racecourse & just outside city walls with only a 5 minute walk to the centre. Managed to get a really good deal (due to time of year) but would happily pay full going rate. Stayed just one night but room was clean and comfortable and a hearty breakfast was included. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

We are always happy to see our guests recommending our hotel to others and that the current guests like yourself are happy with what we offer.

I hope the next time you visit Chester or the surrounding areas you will choose to stay with us again.

For any assistance booking in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Morecambe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Checked in for two nights last Thursday with four friends.
The rooms were fine except that I hardly slept the first night as I was not accustomed to the traffic noise which continued all night long. I was going to ask to be moved across the corridor but my friend said there was noise from a generator or something there! I suppose that's city living!
We really appreciated the complimentary drinks machines in the dining room/lounge as we were able to congregate there instead of all in one bedroom.
We enjoyed a meal at the 1539 racecourse restaurant and were happy to receive a 10% discount for hotel residents.
We were able to leave the 3 cars in the free car park for the duration as the city centre was on the doorstep.
The free wi-fi access came in handy.
I've had better breakfasts in other budget hotel chains but it was still quite adequate.
Thanks to the staff for their friendly attitude.

Room Tip: Book advance rate to get best value
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

We are always grateful to hear comments from all guests whether good or bad. As a hotel it is important that we listen to our guests and learn from them ensuring we make the relevant alterations whilst keeping the things our guest love.

I am sorry to hear that you had difficulty sleeping on the first night and we would have been happy to move your room away from the roadside. We have been made aware of the noise made by one of the generators from Chester Racecourse and a timer has now been fitter which means the noise is limited at night.

Unfortunately as a Holiday Inn Express we are unable to serve full cooked English breakfast however we have now introduced baked beans, cheese portions and bread rolls to accompany the continental breakfast with hot offering of scrambled eggs and sausages.

I will ensure your positive comments are passed on to our restaurant ' Restaurant 1539' who I am sure will be thrilled with your comments.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Just got back from a 1 night trip to Chester. Hotel is well situated and overlooks the racecourse (well the carpark and then the racecourse!). The rooms were ok, tired looking and in need of modernisation. The toilet was blocked in the bedroom but we were moved straight away. Windows had a strange yellow tint to them. The bed wasnt very comfortable and wasnt well made as the sheets kept rucking up - grrr!
There was an external freezer unit in the carpark and the generator or whatever it was made a loud buzzing noise ALL night, which the reception staff claimed to know nothing about....
Breakfast was included and was ok if you dont expect much.
In my opinion there are far better budget hotels, where everythings premier but the price (if you see what I mean!!)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
ExpressChester, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse, responded to this review, July 9, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

I am disappointed to see you never enjoyed your stay with us however we do appreciate your comments. We use all guest feedback to make the relevant amendments whilst keeping the things our customers expect.

The hotels refurbishment programme is ongoing and all rooms have now been decorated and had new lamps, flat screen televisions and sofa beds throughout. I am glad to hear the matter of the blocked toilet was resolved for you swiftly and efficiently. The Windows do have a yellow tint to them and are the same in each bedroom due to the design of the hotel.

After being made aware of the noise caused by a generator based at Chester Racecourse a timer has now been installed meaning the noise issue has now been reduced over night.

Unfortunately due to brand standards we are unable to offer a full English breakfast however our continental breakfast with hot offering of scrambled eggs and sausages has now been improved with an addition of cheese portions, bread rolls and baked beans.

Obviously we are never happy to hear one of our guests would rather choose to stay with one of our competitors instead of staying with the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse. I would therefore like to invite you back to Chester and would be happy to offer a heavily reduced rate (excluding race days).

I hope you do choose to stay with us again and give the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse the chance to restore your confidence with us.

Once again apologies for the issues that you experienced during your stay and hope to hear from you soon.

Should you require any accommodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

West Lothian
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

Partner and I stayed here for 2 nights midweek. Check-in was poor as the young lady did not acknowledge us in any way or even make eye contact and answered in one word, i.e. yes, no etc. The allocated room was of a very poor standard:
Net curtains hanging off, ready to fall off.
Bathroom door handle hanging off, ready to fall off.
Floorstanding lamp broken.
Bedside reading lamp broken.
No sofa as they were being replaced (maybe the removal men broke all of the above).
Poor WiFi reception.
However, when I approached reception about all of the faults, the young man was very quick to move us to another floor/room where everything worked, except the hairdryer broke on the second day and the new sofa never arrived, but it was a big improvement on the first room offered.

Location is excellent as you can walk into the centre of town in 5-10 minutes where there is a very good selection of shops, restaurants, hotels, pubs etc.

Breakfast was self service buffet with the usual cold croissants, cereal etc and 2 hot/warm choices of sausages and scrambled eggs and you are required to clear your own table when you are finished. On the first day I had to wait 20 minutes for staff to replenish the scrambled eggs tray.

I would suggest you avoid using the two tea bags, two coffee sachets and two putrid milk sachets in the room as I am sure you won't drink it when you taste it.

Thankfully we were able to spend virtually all of our time in town and only went back to the hotel to sleep.

I would only recommend this hotel if you use it only for sleeping and you get it cheap. If you require more facilities, choose somewhere else as there are a large number of better hotels at around the same price in Chester.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

I am disapointed to hear your expectations were not met during your stay and would like to appologise for the faults you found in your room. The hotel's refurbishment plan is always on going as you mentioned during your stay we had new sofabeds installed in all rooms and recently had brand new lamps put in all rooms, all rooms have been decorated and flat screen televisions have also been installed. We are currently looking at fitting boosters into our free high speed wi-fi system which will then ensure every room recieves a good signal.

I am glad to hear the reception staff were able to assist you when moving rooms, however again I am appalled with the service you experienced on check in. I have since sat with all members of staff to discuss the matter as this is not acceptable and is not the standards we adhere to at the Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

Unfortunately brand standards prevent us from serving a full english breakfast however our continental breakfast with hot offering of scrambled eggs and sausages has improved with the addition of bread rolls, cheese portions and baked beans.

Regarding the products in the bedrooms I am disapointed to read you were not impressed as the products are all branded names such as nescafe and tetleys. A member of staff would have been more than happy to supply you with fresh milk as we are aware that the milk portions are not always the nicest. We also offer complimentary drinks from our hot drinks machine situated in the reception for all guests during their stay.

I would like to offer my sincere appologies for the experience you had when staying with us and would like to invite you back to the hotel. I hope you can give the Holiday Inn Express the chance to reedeem your confidence with us and also enable us to provide you the true experience we have to offer.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to book with us.

Once again please accept my sincere appologies.

cannock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Very clean and helpful Staff . really enjoyed my stay here breakfeast was great also. going back ASAP.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us at The Holiday Inn Express Chester Racecourse.

It is always good to see our guests taking the time to reveiw our hotel and find we are meeting their expectations.

Thank you for your kind comments, these will be passed on to the team and I am sure this will boost their morale further.

Should you require accomodation in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

You may be happy to know we have also improved our breakfast offering which now includes cheese portions, bread rolls and baked beans.

Once again thank you for the positve comments.

Operations Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Express Chester-Racecourse? Share your experiences!