“Good hotel, shame about the room!” 3 of 5 stars

Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wrexham Road, Chester CH4 9DG, England   |
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Good hotel, shame about the room!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

The hotel is situated in the village of Pulford, about 10 minutes drive from Chester but an easy drive in the city centre. The building and grounds are lovely and the venue is geared towards weddings. We stayed here for 2 nights in a standard double room. After an easy check-in, we found our room which was a ground floor room around the courtyard. We were disappointed to find a small room which could do with some updating and a small bed. We rang to ask for a room with a bigger bed as it barely looked like a double (just a big single) but we were told that the only rooms with queen beds were the bridal suites which were all occupied. The receptionist even agreed that the beds in the rooms were very small. The bathroom was clean with lots of goodies! There was also no air conditioning in our room so we had an uncomfortable first night (apparently they're in the process of installing air con but it's taking longer than anticipated!). We asked if there was a room with air con we could change to but the only ones that had air con were used by wedding guests so they gave us a fan instead.
On the plus side, the spa and pool facilities were excellent and the staff at the spa were very helpful and friendly. We used the gym and the pool both days and had a massage at the spa. We ate at Nelsons and the food was very good and our waiter was lovely. Breakfast was in the main restaurant which was bright with Roman decor!! The selection of food was good and regularly replenished.
Overall, this was a great hotel but we felt the room was overpriced and disappointing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
West Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We stayed here for one night for my husband's birthday. Plenty of car parking, a nice looking old building in a village about 10 minutes drive from Chester. Dark wood and leather sofas in the reception/bar area. Check in was quick and easy, staff were friendly and helpful.

We opened the door to our room, there was a sofa and wardrobe and a spiral staircase leading up to the bedroom/bathroom area - a nice surprise. Comfortable bed, flat screen TV, double aspect windows, tea & coffee making facilities. The bathroom was large and very white and clean.

We used the pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi facilities. Roman style decoration and unusual shaped pool. All the facilities including the changing room were excellent and spotless. There is a spa where you can get treatments, but really you need to book in advance - it can be difficult to get what you want if you leave til you get there. But we weren't really bothered about the spa. There's also a tennis court - but we didn't use that. We did use the gym the following morning, small but has good equipment and only a couple of locals in there.

We had dinner in Ciros Brasserie which has more of the Roman style decoration. Very light, conservatory feel makes you feel like you're sitting outside. The service was very good and quick. Food was excellent. Breakfast is also served in Ciros - it's buffet style but there's everything you could ask for - cooked, cereals, juices.

We really enjoyed our stay at the Grosvenor. All the staff were polite and helpful. The decoration and atmosphere was good. Everything was spotless. Absolutely no complaints. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Blackpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Visted hotel for a friends wedding. Excellent location and beautiful hotel. The perfect setting for a civil ceremony. The staff were superb and very attentive. The spa area looked excellent and the gym and pool area were really good. Only fault I have with this hotel is that I thought our hotel room was overpriced. Decor needed a serious update and the room was so hot. The included toiletries were a real treat though. Overall, a recommended hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010 via mobile

My husband and I got married at the grosvenor pulford hotel in May 2010. The venue and grounds were lovely and all of our guests commented on this. I stayed at the hotel the night before my wedding with my family and bridesmaids. We used the Spa facilities and had a meal in Nelsons bar. from the minute we arrived the staff took amazing care of us and catered to our every need. Nothing was too much trouble for them and the management team continually checked how we were throughout the day. The day before the wedding was made extremely relaxing for me and my maids!On the day if the wedding I couldn't have asked for more from the staff! All of our guests commented on the level of service and friendliness of the staff througout the day. My husband and I both felt so relaxed on the day as we had total confidence in the professionalism of the staff. They made our special day run so soonthly. The wedding meal was fantastic and the clean plates were testiment to that! The staff took time to become part of our special day; talking to us and our guests and learning about them and us as a couple, which really helped to give our wedding a personal and individual touch. The management team and their staff are of the Highest quality at this hotel and the service second to none! My husband and I had the wedding day weekend we had always dreamed of and I have no doubt that much of this was down to this hotel and it's fantastic team!
Thankyou!
Hannah & David.

• Stayed July 2010
Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I came up for a friends wedding during May 2010 and stayed 2 nights.

The Hotel gave a discount on the rooms for wedding guests, the rooms were excellent, with a nice deep reclining bath, with a quiet setting to sleep as well.

The main things that stood this Hotel Head and Shoulders above most others I have stayed at were the following:-

1) Friendly staff, nothing too much trouble for any of them.
2) Setting gorgeous, with a small lake in the grounds and lots of attention to detail throughout this hotel, such as real relaxing lighting, lots of indoor plants and all set in a very Romanesque sort of way.
3) The breakfast was great, evening meals great and the Spa, which the ladies would die for!!
4) Easy links to most places from here as well.

I will be returning again, although a fairly long drive for us from Berkshire, I think I`ll bring the missus and the kids next time, as the wedding was midweek and we couldn`t take the kids out of school.

This time round, the wife can spend all her time at the Spa making her even more gorgeous than she already is and I`ll take the kids out for day trips or even a bit of indoor go-karting, as I found a track about 10 miles away which the Hotel staff advised me on, as I`m a bit of a karting addict!!

Bottom Line.....You`ll visit this hotel once and then you will just keep going back and back and it must be glorious in the true Summer.

There were a young couple staying when I was there who only lived 2 miles up the road, but they love the place and stay there once or twice a year apparently.

Now that says it all for me, if someone 2 miles up the road stays twice a year, it must be good!!

I am hooked!!

Dave Nickless
www.RiverbankFinancial.co.uk

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Treated my hubby to the 'romantic package' at this hotel. The room was certainly different, with a small lounge area as you walked into the room, a built-in wardrobe in the corner and then a spiral staircase leading up to the bedroom and bathroom. The romantic package included a bottle of champagne (decent make, very nice) and a box of chocolates (cheap, nasty and some had 'bloomed' so not sure where they'd been stored or for how long).
We used the pool and associated facilities. It was extremely warm in the pool area but pleasant enough. The jacuzzi was very warm; the sauna was nice; the steam room was not so good as it had a plastic looking interior which - and I'm not being snobby here - looked kind of cheap and not so nice. The changing area was small with only 1 private cubicle available. The spa looked lovely but we didn't use the facilities there as they weren't included in the package.
The meal at night in Ciros' restaurant was pleasant enough apart from the wine - if I'm paying £23 for a semi-decent bottle of red wine, I want to enjoy it and you could tell that they'd just unscrewed the top and poured it as I could clearly taste the tannins. When I asked if it could be decanted and allowed to breathe for a while, the restaurant manager abruptly said this was not possible as they had no decanters. Hmmmm.....in a hotel ??
When we got back to the room, it was very warm but there was a table fan in there which cooled things down a bit (bear in mind this was during a heatwave). My 2 biggest gripes were that the wardrobe was downstairs so unless you remembered to bring your clothing upstairs, when you'd finished in the shower you had to go down the stairs to get dressed; the other gripe was the window over the spiral staircase which could not be accessed to draw the curtains shut.......the window had full sunshine from 5am so you can guess what time I awoke !!
Breakfast was ok; some items were lovely, others not.
Hotel staff were nice - receptionist was very friendly, restaurant staff too - even though the restaurant manager was abrupt with the wine problem, she was still checking we were enjoying our meals etc.
Would I stay there again? No, probably not - for the price, there are better hotels in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Stayed here for Chester Races weekend with ten other people, what a little gem fab food (Resturant Manager gave us top class service), great service by all staff, spa beautiful and relaxing.. only wee down side the standard rooms were a little small but hey how much time do you spend in your room. Would defo return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!