“Review of spa area only. ” 5 of 5 stars

You added Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wrexham Road, Chester CH4 9DG, England   |
Ranked #5 of 44 hotels in Chester
“Review of spa area only. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I adore the decor and feel of the spa here. Around the pool needs a bit of TLC but in the actual spa area it's divine. A real treat to spend a day there. Great lunch and great Hamman.
The staff are all very attentive, polite and professional.
This is my second visit and I would return again.

Stayed December 2013

938 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Booked an executive room for one night stay, arrived at 6.30pm so car park and hotel were pretty busy (Christmas party night!) Christmas decorations were beautiful, lovely atmosphere, open fire, very welcoming, very helpful & friendly Reception staff. But then we arrived at our room and I was very disappointed! The door to the room was in a large conservatory area which was cold and quite uninviting, the guests in the other rooms were quite noisy and this seemed to travel into the conservatory area. The room itself was a real let down, the bathroom was very early 1990's and the furnishings and décor were fairly average, it just wasn't what I was expecting. It actually looked like the website pictures of a standard room but the reception staff assured us it was an executive room. We were advised that the hotel was full but they did have a deluxe room that hadn't been offered for booking as they'd had a problem with the heating in there. One of the reception staff had taken some portable heaters in there & we were welcome to have a look. It was lovely; spiral staircase up to the bedroom and bathroom, very nice décor, beautiful modern bathroom, comfy bed, lovely views and it was nice and quiet (did hear the fountain outside when it came on in the morning but it was quite therapeutic!) We ate in Cirros restaurant for dinner and then for breakfast, both were excellent, dinner in particular and the restaurant looked stunning in the evening. Nelsons bar also looked very nice, more relaxed than the restaurant. The spa area looked lovely although I didn't get to use it. I was very impressed with the reception staff and the way they dealt with our complaint about the room and arranged the complimentary upgrade. I would return to this hotel but I would only stay in a deluxe or superior room, definitely worth paying a bit extra for!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, ENGLAND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Well, what can I say? What a shame.

I consider myself relatively well travelled (ex Travel Agent) and my high expectations of this hotel (going on previous comments) were genuinely dashed.

As much as I tried to get a real 'feel' for the place (continually thinking about the glowing reviews other travellers had stated on here) I just didn't 'get' what it was that they were all raving about. I really didn't.

On arrival (Thursday) we made use of the spa. The spa reception staff were helpful, kindly explaining where to go etc. In the ladies changing rooms there was ONE private changing cubicle. Other than that it was communal changing only.

The pool was relatively cold. There were a handful of people swimming. BEWARE OF THE VERY BOTTOM STEP ON ENTERING THE POOL! How dangerous? Both my partner and I thought there was another final step, as we entered the pool .... there wasn't! For us both to make the same mistake I consider this to be rather dangerous. The bottom step (which I thought went down to the last step) was about 18 inches high. I made the same mistake again on getting out and banged my knee on the edge of it, of which I have a big bruise.

The jacuzzi was ok. Not the best I've been in, but it served its purpose.

What I did think was extremely weird was that, as a hotel guest, you had to literally walk through the middle of the restaurant (amongst diners) to enter the spa. Other than going out of the front of the hotel and right round to the side of the building, this was the only way in.

Had I have been dining in there, I certainly wouldn't have wanted spa users walking in and out, by my table. Particularly when you consider the prices of the meals and the formal atmosphere in there.

I had the worst two nights sleep I've had in years. I'm still trying to recover, prior to going back to work tomorrow! I'm shattered. Literally. My back and hips are killing me, from the old double bed. It was rock hard with absolutely no bounce in it whatsoever! Standard sized at that. (Note to self: DO NOT ever book to stay in a hotel again, that only has standard sized double beds)!!

I'm of an age now where I want the standard of accommodation that I stay in to be at least the same as, or preferably better than, my own home. Even we have a Superking size bed ..... Why can't hotels all have nothing smaller than at least a kingsize? It's beyond me.

I've stayed in better, more modern places (like Premier Lodge) for half the price. I was generally disappointed overall.

There was black mould marks around the bath, shower curtain (who uses shower curtains nowadays?), a rubber bath mat (come on!), no hand rail, clumps of grey dust in the corner of the bathroom, both lamp shades on the bedside tables were wobbly and not straight, scuff marks everywhere, worn/shabby carpets, pieces of wallpaper torn off the walls.

The hotel must be doing something right, as according to the reservations staff (on asking for an complimentary upgrade) the hotel was full.

PROS:

- Lovely looking hotel
- Traditional (as opposed to contemporary)
- Nice atmosphere
- On the main bus route into Chester
- 'Nelsons' bar (attached to the hotel) was cosy, busy and had a great atmosphere
- Homely and welcoming
- Lovely, traditional Christmas decorations
- Warm welcome from receptionist, who was very helpful and knowledgeable
- Powerful, gravity fed shower with plenty of hot water
- Friendly bar staff and waiting staff

CONS:

- Quite expensive overall
- Relatively small rooms & small bathrooms
- Noisy (creaking floorboards above us, bedroom doors literally slammed to continuously, wind howled around the hotel and the worst thing for us was that the fountain in the courtyard came on at 7AM - right outside our bedroom window!!! Who needs that on a Saturday morning?!
- Single glazed windows
- Due to above, windows continually steamed up
- Standard sized double bed that was rock hard
- Dated, shabby, tatty, tired, (on closer inspection)
- Dirty settee covers in the lounge area, outside the spa
- Two open fires in 'Nelsons' which was welcoming but made the room boiling hot. Even the bar staff were beetroot red and commented how hot it was to work in!
- Everything was 'tired' ... Worn settees, worn chairs, worn carpets, worn chairs. Back in the 80's/90's it would have been top notch but not nowadays
- Relatively dear prices for drinks and food
- The bedroom was boiling hot. We didn't have any heating on and didn't want to keep the window ajar as we were situated on the ground floor (room 6), knowing that the fountain would come on at 7am!
- The courtyard that we overlooked was very unkempt
- Breakfast tasted nicer than it looked. There wasn't a massive choice and it all seemed relatively small. I get the impression that the hotel's smaller than I had imagined. The breakfast area was generally 'chatty' and just didn't feel clean. I felt as though I'd been transported back to the 80's! It's all self service, other than the waiters brought tea/coffee and toast to your table.

I don't really don't know how to sum our stay up. I would say that it's relatively expensive (overall) and I wish I'd paid more money to stay in one of the centrally located hotels in Chester.

Room Tip: Pay as much as you can possibly afford to upgrade from a standard room!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Forest of Dean, Gloucester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Five couples have just returned from a 3 night stay at the hotel.

Every aspect of our stay was excellent, from the initial contacts with Michael the accommodation manager to the final departure.

The staff are exceptional in all departments with a customer care service approach which is second to none. Everyone was so friendly, helpful and gave the impression that they love what they were doing. How refreshing in this day and age!!!!!! Everyone knew their job. Phil on reception was particularly helpful and the e[itpmy of professionalism.

Rooms were immaculately clean and well appointed and serviced daily, very warm and comfortable.

The meals were outstanding and dining room service fabulous.

A big thank you to everyone in the hotel for making our stay in Chester very memorable.

Pat & Brian and all our friends from the Forest of Dean

Room Tip: Rooms 35 and 36 are in the top of the hotel. Nice and quiet with all the facilities you need.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Visited the hotel on a Travel Zoo promotion, expecting a steady away hotel. My god, how wrong we were! The arrival was pleasant and told us we had been upgraded. Got to our room and it was a spiral staircase room, great seating area downstairs, spacious bedroom upstairs. Coffee etc was basic but the room itself was fab. Had breakfast in the Ciro restaurant (please see review for dinner in Ciro's), it was a buffet breakfast but was excellent. But like nearly all hotels, they bring the toast out with the coffee, why cant they bring toast out after you have had a full English? I know I could ask for more toast and get it warm, just a little pet hate of mine but shouldn't distract from this excellent hotel. The spa, gym and pool is excellent. The Asian quiet garden at the back of the Spa is stunning and is so unique. I couldn't fault any staff member, so professional but at the same time friendly and helpful. This is somewhere we will be returning, this is a gem of a hotel and I cant believe how it is not the best hotel in Chester and that it is not fully booked all the time, that good....

Room Tip: Get a spiral staircase room, we stopped in room 37...wow!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

When I arrived to check in I was told that there was "a bit of building work going on, but it won't affect you." Ok, but in order to get to my room I had to walk through a building site. A whole wing had been completely gutted and the rooms rebuilt. There was muck, dust, hammering and banging and my room was 2 doors away! Every time I left my room I had to walk through all this. I like to have a sleep in the afternoon when away but there was no chance. The work started before 9am as well. I went to reception the next day and asked to be moved. After a bit of wrangling I was moved. I have to say that if I had known about the building work I would not have booked. No mention was made. For £120 a night I expect better.

After being moved, my stay was great. The food is excellent. The gym and swimming pool also excellent. The breakfast was very good - a buffet self service with everything available.

Overall I would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cheadle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

olde worldie style front of hotel and main bar. oak panels - fab fireplaces etc. friendly helpful staff. Spa facilities brilliant. our suite was really outstanding. fab stay. food great - really had a treat of a time. deffo go back again . close to Chester town park & ride too. great weekend break place to stay.

Room Tip: one at the back - looks over mountains and the spa garden and is very quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!