“Just about "OK" !” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Worcester UK
“Just about "OK" !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

After reading the many positive reviews about this hotel, we booked to stay for one night during the bank holiday weekend. Unfortunately , despite its four stars, it really felt like a three star with a four star spa. When we arrived the reception desk was un-manned but after waiting a few minutes the receptionist appeared. There was no greeting or welcome. We said we had a reservation and she informed us the room wasn't ready - not a problem as it was only 1.15pm so we had some lunch in the bar whilst we waited. We asked the receptionist could we book a table for dinner but instead of making a note or picking up the phone, she said we had to go to the brasserie and do it ourselves (That didn't feel like four star service !) The room though clean, was the tiniest room and bathroom I have slept in outside of London. In fact I have had cabins on cruise ships larger than that room (12). Despite being bank holiday Monday, there was a wedding reception on so we asked if we were likely to be disturbed by wedding guests in the early hours returning to their rooms after the party, but she assured us the room was quiet - which it was, until that is 8am when the builders arrived right under our window and started up their Kango hammer drills. Beware if you are staying in the next 6 months or so as this work building the Spa Zen garden is going on for some time ! Arriving at the Spa later for our treatments we noticed right next to a big sign politely asking for mobile phones to be switched off and for talking to be kept to a minimum as it was a "quiet area" was another sign saying "Do not enter wedding reception in progress" ! and there was loud cheering and clapping going on to the bestman's speech !! Our treatment - a couples massage was again, Just about ok - the therapist clearly hadn't bothered to read my consultation form and the treatment ended abruptly when they obviously ran out of time ! We were shown back out to the spa reception without use of any relaxation area afterwards which is actually quite dangerous after lieing sedately for an hour due to the change in blood pressure - this is really bad practice and a basic spa no-no. Dinner was very nice in the brasserie though the music was too intrusive as only 4 or 5 tables were occupied. The staff were able to turn the speaker off which was right over our table so that was quickly rectified. The waitress though again inexperienced and told me I could only have my rack of lamb rare or well done ! But I like it medium !!!! so I asked for pink and well rested !! as I hate blood on my plate. I have to say the chef did exactly that and it was very nice. In fact the food was probably the best part of the experience with the exception of breakfast. The buffet looked very "tired" (just like me having had poor quality sleep as the room was so hot) the fried eggs had rock hard yolks and the bacon was so dried up I gave up trying to cut it. The receptionist on check-out was much better and did ask if we had enjoyed our stay and apologised for the early start of the builders - though there is little they can do about that ! All in all it was only just OK . So my tips if you must stay here are:- Pay the extra for a larger room (executive or above?) Request a room away from the building work and away from the function room (assuming you are not attending a wedding !) and order items on the breakfast menu that require freshly cooking ie., poached eggs. Alternatively, just stay somewhere else !! Oh a last note on the swimming pool - the last step getting in is really deceiving and is a big drop down (4' 6" end) because of the pattern in the tiling, you think there is another step so its a bit dangerous, I am only 5ft 2" and I went under dropping off the last step. Likewise on the shallow end the mozaic pattern that goes all around looks like a continuation of the pattern, but there is a step ! which my husband stubbed his toe on quite badly. I know, it sounds a bit nit pikky, but there is an accident waiting to happen ( & no lifeguard on duty ).

Room Tip: QUIET ROOM ! & with Aircon
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Where do I start? Absolutely nothing to criticise, from arrival to departure, faultless. Staff so friendly, food gorgeous and reasonable, rooms beautiful, pool best one I've seen in a hotel, grounds superb, a real gem..
In fact, as soon as I arrived I knew this was the place I wanted to celebrate our vow renewal next year as its our silver wedding. We always were going to renew our vows but couldn't find the 'right' place, I am so glad I waited until I found the perfect place.
I have just returned from a meeting with Natalie the wedding planner who was lovely, no hard sell, could see exactly what we wanted to do and agreed it all at a very reasonable price.
We have stayed in many hotels and some of those are supposed to be of the same standard as the Grosvenor, not one of them came anywhere near. This place is a gem, and what is best about it, unlike some of the huge chains is that they do not charge ridiculous prices for churned out mass produced food. The food is reasonably priced, great quality, fresh and not mass produced. Presented really well by very attentive yet discreet staff. What you see is what you get and first class all round.
When we stayed overnight, the hotel was extremely busy and a wedding was also taking place. Yet it was run efficiently, and each and every guest made to feel special, there was no waiting around to be served and not one thing was compromised during what must have been a very high pressure evening for the staff.
This has to be the best hotel I have ever stayed in. It takes a lot to impress me, and they did, in spades.
Really looking forward to April 2012 Thank you

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Lots of things are right about this hotel. The food is very good, the courtyard is lovely, the pool is excellent. We stayed in an executive room, which was a bit tired looking: the bathroom door wouldn't lock, and a coat of paint would help. I would still retuinr though, the whole place has an excellent atmosphere.

Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

I would just like to thank you and your staff for making my stay last weekend a lovely experience. Your staff are very welcoming and their customer service is first class. The room was very comfortable with everything to make our night away enjoyable. The restaurant staff in Ciros were excellent and catered for our large party to a very high
standard - please pass on my thanks. With kind regards, Jackie Hudson

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Nantwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

I had the best spa experience ever at Spa by Kasia at the Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa. The ultimate indulgence. I had the Arabian Rasul, Hamman, one of the Elemis facials (the best facial I've ever had) and a French polish. The spa is beautiful, a real world away, with gorgeous decor and incredible facilities. The staff are superb and the spa lunch menu and quality of the food, second to none. It's the best spa I've been to in the UK. Not to be missed!

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Decided to get away for 1 night for a change of scene. Started off with lunch in the Nelson's Bar - food was very good. The room (66) described as an Executive Room was very dated. Cobwebs hanging off aircon fan directly over the bed. Building work going on directly underneath the window outside. Room did not look anything like the picture on the website. The Hotel is on a main road, not the impression you get from the picture of the hotel. Railway nearby which can be heard from the room. No normal electric sockets at the side of the bed. If like myself you need to plug in an oxygen machine to sleep you have to be very inventive and either move the bed or stretch the lead all way accross the room. Now, the bed! I have never tried to sleep on an harder bed in all my life. At one point during the night I did think about getting out and trying to sleep in the chair. My wife described it like sleeping on the floor. The bathroom has an heated towel rail which you can't switch off. We had to sit on the loo side saddle otherwise you would burn your right leg on the towel rail. The shower rail was full of rust on the inside of the shower. The bedroom walls are paper thin and you can hear everything going on in the next room. If like the chap in the room next door but one to ours you have a loud voice you will be heard 2 rooms away. Noise from the corridor was also very loud. We decided to order Breakfast to be served in our room and asked for delivery between 9 - 9.30 am. At 8.50 am we had a knock on the door and naturally thought it was our Breakfast coming early. However, this was not the case, it was in fact a little foreign woman who could barely speak English asking my wife when would we be leaving. As checkout is 11 am I could only understand this from 10.50 am onwards. I mean we could have still been asleep. I suspect that this Hotel is still only open due to the food and spa. The food in both Nelson's Bar and Ciro's Restaurant was excellent. I would highly recommend the rack of lamb in Ciro's.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
Tarleton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Stayed here over the weekend, it was easy to find, ample parking and good location.

Check in was relaxed, informative, gave us all the information we needed and made us feel welcome. Our room was cozy and was equiped as we would expect from a 4 star hotel. However if we were going to be really picky although the room was clean, the decor was looking a little tired and dated - but we weren't staying to watch paint dry so it wasn't a problem!

We used the pool and sauna - all very clean and found the staff we spoke to in the spa very helpful and friendly.

In the evening we ate in Ciro's - great surroundings, lovely decor. Generally the food and service was very good, again if i had to be picky the staff were possibly too attentive for my liking - asking us for our order every 2 minutes after sitting down! There were 3 large groups also in the restaurant but they weren't taking over like in so many places.

Breakfast was very well presented (we took reception's advice and came down early) the choice of hot buffet items was impressive although there was an absence of continental items which was shame. The staff were again all very attentive and friendly.

Overall a very nice relaxing stay which is just what we were after! Compliments to the staff especially Phil who checked us in and the next day checkedd us out!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!