“Fabulous food, service and wine” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Chester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food, service and wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Went to francs last night with a groupon, five courses with matching wine. As this was on a deal I didn't expect it to be so good but how wrong, the food was excellent especially the trout mousse and the wine matched very well, the place was busy and the service was very good. We will be going back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Connah's Quay, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food, helpful staff, all round excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but I feel I have to write about Franc's as it is a real hidden gem that more people need to know about. I wasn't sure what to expect as many restaurants in Chester market themselves as offering a cuisine from certain parts of the world and they are all a bit of a parody rather than an authentic take on the real thing (in fact one of the biggest culprits is right next door), however I was more than pleasantly surprised.

There was a choice of menus for my friends and I to choose from. We decided to go for the special fixed price menu. There was still plenty of choice and we all had something different so we could share and try each others'. I chose soup to start, with divine little crisps on the top. It was a perfect starter; an appetiser and not too filling. For main I had steak, which was cooked perfectly, and I was most definately asked how I would like it cooked (I have read the other, more negative post on here where they have complained that they were not asked how they wanted it cooked, but I have to say in all the restaurants I have been to in France if you don't have it rare or blue you are seen as a bit strange, plus I'm pretty sure that if they wanted it ruined by having the life cooked out of it I'm sure the chef would have kindly oblige as he was very accomodating for us fussy buggers). For dessert I had at tart, which was so perfect I'm sure Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood would have trouble faulting it.

My friends were also impressed. The dish they were raving about the most was the pigeon; something we wouldn't have normally had but were pleased we did. We asked the waiter for recommendations for wine and he showed that he was extremely knowlegable (we're hard to please on this score) and each bottle complimented the course perfectly. It was my friend's birthday and we had told the waiter this early on in the night but we were completely bowled over when he brought my friend's dessert out complete with a sparkler and candle. Such a lovely touch.

Patrons on adjoining tables were also raving about their food and the ambience in Franc's. A little bit of Paris in Chester. We look forward to going again in the near future.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Warrington, United Kingdom
“A sadly disappointing visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We'd both been impressed by the canapés at networking events we'd attended here, so were looking forward to a full meal between Christmas and New Year.
The starter was the only highlight. The main course really disappointing and the final course simply annoying.

The waiter - who said he only worked there occasionally, suggested that we might like a French port with the pudding course, when we ordered the cheese board - with me noting that I didn't want any blue cheese. He brought the port and then returned to say they only had one cheese, and it was blue. So he served my husband, and left me with no cheese and no offer of an alternative. He then spent the next twenty minutes studiously avoiding our table - so we had to follow him around to get our bill.

We were at no point difficult or spiky, so thee was no justification for this. The fact that I'm still annoyed by this several weeks later serves as an indicator of our disappointment.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Babell
“dissappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Having looked forward to the meal sice Christams as it was a present I must say how let down we feel, the website and all advertising material boast "real tablecloths" , where? not any napiery in sight apart from disposable napkins. The website also shows a wonderful menu for the " Five course chefs menu" not the one we were offered in fact we were not offered a menu merely told what we would be having. Aperitifs ordered and suddenly first course arrives, even before the time we are booked to eat. Alternatives to things we said we could not eat we were never told about they just arrived indeed our main course was a surprise till it arrived--steak but were werenever given the courtesy of saying how we would like it cooked, prioriy given to people ordering chateaubriand, and as for the peach melba dessert, a transprt cafe can do better than the half a mass produced meringue nest, blob of icecream 3 raspberrys and 2 sliced of TINNED peaches with which we were served.
Overall quality of food good but nouvelle cuisine is very much a thing of the past, even bread seemed to be rationed.

We left after 5 courses and came home to have something to eat, absolutely disgusted.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chester, England, United Kingdom
“Good food, excellant service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

First vist to Francs in Feb 2013 after it reopened under new management. Nice initial welcome where were show to our table on the first floor overlooking the balcony. Very nice relaxing surroundings and pleasant varied background music which set the tone for the evening ahead. Found the staff very helpful and knowledgeable about the food and drinks avalable. Our waiter for the evening (Rob) was especially helpful and very attentive. The food we had was really good but not the usual rich French style we were expecting. Even though on this visit there were no ciders available there was a good selection of wines to suit all tastes and the beer selection was amazing. We will definately return to Francs in the future and looking forward to trying some different dishes.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere