“Excellent Staff, Hotel Could be Better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

You added Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Whitchurch Rd | Christleton, Chester CH3 5QL, England (Formerly Ramada Jarvis Hotel)   |
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Southampton, Hampshire
“Excellent Staff, Hotel Could be Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights as part of a conference, and took my 8-month old baby.

I e-mailed beforehand, asking whether they could store medications and possibly some food for him. The reply came back quickly, that they would happily store both food and medication, and where they would do this.

On arrival, they were as good as their word, and the staff were very obliging, getting the medications and food out for us whenever we asked. I was alone with my baby for the first night I stayed there, and one member of staff even held my baby for me as I administered his medication.

Every interaction with the staff was positive: they were always helpful and polite.

Breakfast was fantastic and plentiful: an array of continental, cooked (including vegetarian, which makes a nice change) and porridge, and plenty of a variety of fruit juices. Tea and coffee were good. Staff willingly provided a high chair for my baby.

Dinner was also great; with a good choice and high-quality cuisine.

The conference lunches were variable: from excellent to poor.

The downside of the stay? As others have previously noted, the décor is tired; there are strips of gaffer tape across some of the hall carpets.

On the first night, I took baby to our room to find it a sweltering 25 celcius, despite the radiator being cold and both windows open. The fan provided was broken. I called reception, and a staff member searched empty hotel rooms to provide a replacement. This enabled the area around my baby's cot to cool to 22 celcius, which was a bit better. I would expect air conditioning in a 4-star establishment.

The next morning, I noticed that there are hot pipes around some of the walls just above the skirting board. This explained the heat source, and provided a concern that my child could have crawled and burned himself on them, as they were not boxed off, nor was there a warning that they were there at all. This could well be a health and safety issue.

The room was small, but that wasn't important to me; storage was a drawer and a hanger for a few items. Again, this was not what I came for, so that didn't matter.

As I was staying as part of a conference that lasted for 3 days and 3 nights, bringing in a nice bit of revenue, I thought that they could have made a bit of an effort with the check-out time in my special circumstances. I asked whether my sister and baby could stay in the room until the conference ended at 4pm (check out is midday). I was told that there would be a £10 charge per hour or part thereof. I found a hotel which charges for rooms by the hour to be a little unsavoury!

Overall, the staff made it a very positive experience, but the hotel itself could do a lot to be improved.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your recent stay. I was delighted to read that you felt that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you were well looked after by the team here.

I am in conversations with the owners of the business about a ten year investment plan and I hope that when you next visit you will be able to see some of the improvements that we will have made.

The pipes that run through the bedrooms feed the radiators and as such will only be as warm as the radiators, however we are looking to insulate these in an effort to save energy. To clear up any misunderstanding about the additional bedroom charge, we absolutely do not rent rooms by the hour however if you wish to take advantage of using your bedroom for additional time after the stipulated checkout time then we will charge a fee for this.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Yours Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
DUNFERMLINE SCOTLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Went to Mercure as part of a coach party from Scotland for 4 nights. Found this to be a first class Hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The food was excellent and rooms were spacious and pleasant. The only comment was the lack of drawer space and open clothes hanging space. We stayed in Studio Rooms so perhaps these were meant for one night stays,however, this did not detract from the very pleasant stay and would most certainly use this Hotel again.
The proximity to a Park & Ride would be an advantage for motorists wishing to go into the City.

Room Tip: If staying longer periods ask for rooms with wardrobes and drawers assuming they are available.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The room, bathroom, and bed were very small. The floors creaky, with some shabby detail on carpets in the corridors etc. The bed was of below average quality and the room furniture dated and cheap looking.

What seems like a rather trivial (yet turned out to be quite a significant) factor was that the curtain rails did not extend across the complete window (no blackout lining either) - allowing significant space where considerable light shone into the room - particularly inconvenient at 6am when more sleep is needed, and especially when you have a girlfriend who got rather grumpy about it!!!!

On a plus note - all the staff were helpful and friendly, and the Jacuzzi and pool facilities were rather good. However, this could not make up for the fact that the hotel is just rather tired, poorly designed, and in need of a significant refurbishment/overhaul.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Take a sleep-mask!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your stay. I was disappointed that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay and your bedroom in particular, but pleased that you rated service so highly and your kind comments about the quality of the leisure facility.

Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and found the hotel very comfortable with large, well sound-proofed bedrooms - the only quibble with the bedrooms was that there were no drawers for storing clothing, only a very short hanging rail. The bathroom was a good size and well equipped. Breakfast was excellent, as were the staff both there, and in reception. Bar prices were a bit steep, but probably normal for that class of hotel. Well located with enormous car park.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012 via mobile

Me and my family recently stayed here during a trip to Chester. As other reviews have said its definitely not a 4 star hotel.
If you can get your stay for the right price it's fine.
The leisure facilities were great and we got good use of them even though we only stayed 1 night.
I found the staff very friendly and helpful but I was extremely disappointed in the length of time it took for our evening meal to come . It took over an hour which was fine for me and my wife but for my 5 and 10 year old it was unacceptable especially when the dinner room wasn't even that busy .
All in all the hotel and rooms are fine if your looking for a night or 2 getaway with the family . If you get your stay for the right price and dont set your expectations too high its fine. as like I said its more a 3+ star than a 4 .

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your stay. I was pleased to read that you found the service to be of a high standard but disappointed at that the length of time it took for your dinner to be served to you.

I am pleased to report that I have recently recruited a very experienced Head Chef, who will be looking into this and I’m sure will make a big improvement in this area.

Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Excellent hotel for location and service. The only let down was our room was looking a bit tired and in need of some attention. The window did not close properly which would have been a problem apart from the fact that we had to keep it open because of the heating being on. We could turn the radiator off but not the hot water pipes that ran through the room. All the staff were very helpful and the food was great. We stayed in a family room which is basically a normal room with two extra beds put in and there was plenty of room for the four of us. The swimming pool, steam room, jacuzzi and sauna were all a great addition to our stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel following your recent say. I was pleased to read that you found the service and location to be of a high standard but disappointed that the condition of your bedroom failed to meet your expectations.

We have recently spent some time repairing a number of windows in the hotel and I hope that your room was picked up in this.

James Lake

Been to Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel? Share your experiences!