“Great ambience Great food Great service” 5 of 5 stars

+44 1244 303100
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chester Fields is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 454 Restaurants in Chester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Reading
“Great ambience Great food Great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Decor was very nice and unusual, staff were very welcoming, food was excellent. Best Rib Eye Steak we have had in ages cooked perfectly, also the fat chips are to die for, You must also try the chocolate brownie, must also mention the lovely waitress Sian who is a credit to The Chester Fields.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
MARK J, Managing Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Hi TriciaEdwards,

Thank you very much for such a positive review on The Chester Fields. I am glad to hear that the steak was so good, you should join us on a Wednesday where we offer deals on all of our steaks.

Sian most certainly is a credit to us, thank you for mentioning her. She has been rewarded for all of her hard work over the Christmas period with a trip away with some of the other hard working team members. We certainly couldn't do it without them!

England
“Very nice Christmas meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Enjoyed a meal from the Christmas menu which was very good. Terrine starter excellent and main turkey dinner was very good - only exception was the very hard sprouts! Dessert was a little disappointing but overall the dinner was really good. If they offer the same next Christmas will definitely return. The house wine was good value and we were served by a very young but excellent waitress.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi Interested1328,

Thank you for your review of your Christmas Meal, as well as the feedback. I am glad to see that you enjoyed this time more than the last visit to The Chester Fields. I am glad that you enjoyed the starter and main course, except for the sprouts. I'm sorry that you found the dessert disappointing, in future if there are ever any problems it would be helpful to tell us at the time so that hopefully we can rectify the problem without you leaving feeling disappointed.

I am sure we will have a similar offering next Christmas. We hope to see you then, if not before.

Thanks again for your comments.
Oakmere, United Kingdom
“Unusual visit this time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was the third Visit to Chester fields after previously having lovely food. We met some friends for lunch and a catch up. Three of us had the steak sandwich and one fish pie of the day. The fish pie came with veg, no chips and was small in portion. The steak sandwiches were good in portion and came with chips, I asked for salad instead of chips which came heavily laden with dressing( I would have preferred to add my own dressing). My Husband said his chips had been dropped into the fryer a second time as they were greasy. The steak on the sandwich was a little Tough and we weren't asked how we wanted the steak cooking, they were all overcooked. On the menu it said the steak sandwich was with horseradish mayonnaise, which was actually just mayonnaise. The service was a little slow, however saying that we weren't in a rush. Our friends were disappointed after we had recommended it to them. A little inconsistent after having delicious food previously.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
MARK J, Managing Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Dear Stevenhector123,
It's such a shame to read this review after your prvious excellent review last month.
My apologies for what seems like a very poor visit on this occasion.
I would like to rectify a couple of your points though. Firstly, the fish pie, like any fish pie comes with mash on top so is unlikely to have chips as well.
The steak on the sandwich is a minute steak so it's not customery to ask how you'd like it cooked because of its thinness.
Regarding dropping the chips twice that is something that we don't do and would never do so I would have to speak to the chef to find out how that happened.
My apologies once again for all the other points. I sincerely hope you will judge us on your previous visits and not this one.
Feel free to ask for me next time your in as so often people use TA to vent their dissapointment but by that time there's not much we can do about it to turn the experience around of which I assure you we would have done.
Thanks once again for writing this review
Chester, United Kingdom
“Very Welcome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Once again a very pleasant experiance. Staff are supberb and very attentive. A lovely location. A good selection of food.

Visited December 2013
Dear Allan G,

Thank you very much for your review on The Chester Fields.

We have a great team here who take pride in what they do, I am glad to see that this is noticed by our customers.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Me and my boyfriend visited for lunch last week. Despite being poor students we thought the food was well worth the money! I had the BLT sandwich and he had the pie of the day, both were thoroughly enjoyed and the chunky chips were delicious! The restaurant itself has a lovely atmosphere and our waitress Gemma was lovely. Definitely hope to come back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear KatherineM93,

I am very happy that you enjoyed your lunch with us, we aim to have reasonable prices and it's nice to see that they don't break the bank. Even for the students!

We have passed on our thanks to Gemma, she is a valued member of the team.

Thanks very much for your kind words, we hope that exams don't get in the way of you coming to visit us soon.