“As Comfortable As Home Without The Washing Up!” 5 of 5 stars

+44 (0)1244 303100
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chester Fields is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 411 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Chester, England, United Kingdom
“As Comfortable As Home Without The Washing Up!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Myself, my wife and 2 kids, have been coming here since my 40th Birthday in June 2011, and yet 2 years on, we still love going.
Theirs an ambience about the place I can't quite describe, but I know I like it. From Mark the boss, to the serving staff, the customer service is way above standard, to the point where my 2 girls, are treated like customers, and not just additions to the adults (one has even had a cocktail named after her)
The surroundings are fantastic, and the restaurant is impeccably clean, as are the toilets, but it's
the food why you go to any restaurant, and we've never failed to be impressed by the quality and taste, the price is not much more than other restaurants in the area, and with regular offers like 2 meals for £20.13 and discounted theme nights, it's affordable. But it's the whole package I enjoy, and so, it's my number 1 recommendation for a meal out, or just a coffee in the afternoon.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
MARK J, Managing Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Jedmc571,
Thanks so much for this very impressive review. We can't identify you through your TA log on name but I can only assume that you are a loyalty card holder.
I'm glad we named a cocktail for your daughter but I now have to check the ingredients with our Bar Manager to see how much alcohol it contains (assuming she's under 18, I hope it's a smoothie!)!!!
Thanks again and i'm sure we'll be seeing you again soon.

North Wales
“Second visit and just as good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Wife and I had lunch on Saturday 17th August.
The food was excellent , the young waiter who served us was extremely polite and attentive. Whilst perusing the menu I asked if the 2 course,2 people for £20.13 was available at the weekend. The answer was No and if we had received an email then it was a mistake.
Not a problem we chose two course from the full menu. We both had for starters the smoked salmon and poached egg on muffin.... ( can't remember the name of the dish ).
we both enjoyed it.
For my main I went for the Gammon steak. As I often go for that I reckon I can appreciate a good one.
The gammon was thick and a fair sized steak, it was absolutely superb, not one piece of fat at all, My wife had the Salmon with mash and she was more than pleased with that.
The total bill for the food plus a couple of half pints of lager and two G & T's came to £56.00. Not the cheapest two course lunch but well worth the money in my opinion.
As we left the car park I was surprised to see a large sign stating that the two course set menu for £20.13 was available Monday to Saturday.
I think that had I seen that sign on arrival I may have questioned the fact that it was NOT available.
Management need to address this issue to avoid upsetting future Saturday diners. This issue aside you cannot go wrong eating at this Cheshire pub.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
MARK J, Manging Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear H20TGP,
Thanks very much for reviewing us again and i'm glad we met you expectations for the second time.
Thank You for pointing out the outside sign that wasn't re-written. We've only just dis-continued the 2013 menu at weekends. The reason for this is that we've become increasingly busier allowing the chefs little time to prepare an additional menu on top of our main Lunch menu prior to a very busy evening ahead.
The dish that you liked so much is the Eggs Florentine. It's one of our more popular dishes as a starter and a lunchtime main course.
Thanks once again and we hope to see you again soon.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Great impulse stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Travelling back along the A56 from Chester, following a 7 day at Chester Zoo we were in need for food and drink.
First time we had noticed the Chester Fields and pulled in hoping we could get a table.
Not disappointed
Fabulous outdoor seating areas with individual booths, great idea
Wonderful interior décor and great atmosphere in the bar area. Recommend a pint of Cheshire Cat
Great menu choice, simple bar food, but lots of choice
We had the sausage sampler, sirloin steak and sunday roast beef - all cooked and presented superbly
Well recommend a visit here
as a previous review states, Great bar, Great food, Great staff
Well done
looking forward to our next visit

Dear Scottmaxsted,
Well, 7 days at Chester Zoo must have left youi needing that pint or 2 of Cheshire Cat!!!! I'm glad we were here to supply it for you!
Thanks for posting these great comments and I hope you'll visit us again next time your in Chester.
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Fab food, fab beer, fab staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I've eaten here several times in the past and have never had a bad experience. The food is outstanding, the beer well kept, the staff are friendly, efficient and will stop for a quick chat. The full menu is available in the bar which means you can take your well behaved dog with you and the staff even provide dog biscuits and fuss!! I love eating here, last night I had the cod with cockle chowder, it was luscious! The steaks are wonderful, the fillet is pricy but it's worth it, particularly with the bearnaise sauce, I cant praise this place enough and no, they haven't paid me!!

Dear sweetpea26-3,
Thanks for these great comments. No we haven't paid you for them but I would have struck a deal!!!!! There are too many positive comments to go through individually but I hear your point about the Fillet being pricey. All of our steaks are aged on the bone for a minimum of 21 days which in itself demands a higher cost than your average cut. My reccomendation is always to avoid the Fillet because it's the least flavoursome cut on the cow. Most people perceive it to be the best because it's the most expensive. However, the reason it's so expensive is because there's only a small amount on each beast (5 kg) as opposed to Ribeye which is by far the best cut for flavour and tenderness which has about 25kg per cow.
It sounds like I was a cow in my past life doesn't it? !!!!
Many thanks agiain for your kind and thoughtful comments and I look forward to your next visit.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great food and lovely setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Have been here for lunch on several occasions and have never been disappointed. The food is great, reasonably priced with generous portions. The service is friendly and staff are very helpful. The views across Cheshire are delightful from the outside dining area. Would highly recommend.

Dear BW,
Thanks for posting these fabulous comments onto TA. We are very spoilt with the views that we have and the lunch deal goes from strength to strength for its value for money.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
As you dine with us so often, I hope we've issued you with a loyalty card. TA doesn't show us your identity, so I can't check. However, if you don't have one then please ask next time your in and we'll arrange one for you.
Thank you once again.