“My Favourite Restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

+44 1244 303100
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chester Fields is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 454 Restaurants in Chester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Chester, England, United Kingdom
“My Favourite Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have eaten at The Chester Fields a few times over the last few months and have never been disappointed. I have eaten at the Montparnesse Tower in Paris but tonight's meal of 7 hour braised lamb was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. The staff are so friendly and helpful while maintaining professionalism. We always feel welcome and special even when just calling in for a light lunch. We promise ourselves another visit soon.
Doe Littley

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Doe Littley!
Wow, well what can we say other than thank you for making us your favourite restaurant!
I will certainly share your feedback with the team and very much look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
We will focus on keeping up the good work that has impressed you so far!
Thank you again!

Chester , UK
“Another excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We have enjoyed every visit to The Chesterfields pub since it has opened. Consistently good food and drinks, fab location, great service and some brilliant offers.
Lunchtime offer is excellent and well worth it for an early tea before 5. Looking forward to more winter walks there from Hoole followed by hot cider and delicious food

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hello Kayster!
Thank you so much for your comments.
I see that you have sampled our gorgeous Rekorderlig warm winter cider?! It is new in this month and has surpassed even my overly-optomistic expectations!
Thanks again and we will see you back very soon.
Chester, United Kingdom
“Fresh fields”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

A welcoming restaurant serving excellent food that is good value for money. Really good levels of service from all staff and somewhere we would heartily recommend. We shall definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dear Chester Voyager!
Thank you very much for your review and reccommendation. It is brilliant that you feel we are good value for money and the team looked after you so well.
We look foward to welcoming you back very soon.
Chester
“All style and no substance”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Dropped in for lunch, great decor, looks fab, slightly over attentive staff, we had just been given the menu, (we had met 3 staff at the point) when a 4th waiter asked us if we wanted to order! My husband had the Artisan Pork Feast, served on a wooden chopping board..why do restaurants do this, it is not great, the juices absorb into the wood, it is not hygienic and just seems another 'style over substance'. Well it certainly wasn't a feast and at £18.50, it should have been, there were very small sample portions of each item. not impressed. I had the burger, it was ok, small burger, raw in the middle, would have been nice to ask how I would like it, cheese on top, but not melted, would have been a lot nicer had they melted it under the grill. (Said it was on the menu) The whole thing was cold, as the only hot ingredient, the burger, was too small, and it was overloaded with a relish (again according to the menu) but it seemed to be a mayonnaise with rocket, a slice of raw tomato (again said it was grilled on the menu).

So all together disappointing, and I won't be returning. If you can't get the basic's right it's not worth risking another visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear BidsChester,
Thank you very much for your review.
Firstly, I am pleased that you like the look of the place - it is something we get a lot of positive comments on!
Please can I ask that you contact me at The Chester Fields to discuss the rest of your experience? I would like the opportunity to go through your visit in a bit more detail - understand when you came so I can follow up on the food and service points. Getting the basics right is something the team strive to do on a daily basis, so it is disappointing to read that we have dropped the ball.
With regards to your burger, you are absolutely correct in saying that we should be asking our guests whether they would like it pink or cooked through. The garnish is stated on the menu as Melted Cheese, Hand Cut Chips and Roast Plum Tomato Relish. The tomatoes are roasted and then made into a relish and served in a sauce pot on the side, no mention of grilled tomato I am afraid. We serve the burger with cos lettuce bound lightly with some mayonnaise, a slice of tomato and sliced gherkin. Bacon is an additional extra.
I am very surprised that you feel the Artisan Pork Feast portion was inadequate. In fact, often our guests struggle to finish this dish and feedback has been that it may be too big! But, again, we will look at the portions and make sure that there is ample. I understand what you are saying about being served on a board, but the concept fits nicely with the food we are trying to serve and the dish itself, so will continue to serve them as we do.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to us. As I have mentioned earlier, please can I ask that you contact me directly at The Chester Fields and I can see if I can persuade you to risk another visit!
Cheshire, UK
“Unlikely to return”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The "pub" seems purpose built and is in a very attractive setting. Outside tables, etc would make for a lovely afternoon in the sun but we were there on a Sunday evening and went inside for a meal. We were entertaining a colleague from the US and were disappointed by the very limited menu. We seriously considered leaving but had already ordered drinks. It was a bad start when our meals came out but not our guest's. He had ordered the rump steak. When it finally arrived (5 minutes after our dishes), it was okay but it was a bit tough and to call the side a portabello mushroom was definitely putting on airs; small crimini more like. I had the Sunday roast beef. The portion was fine and the beef was well prepared and tasty but the potatoes were over cooked and tough and the veg was really not good. My husband had the trout which was tasty but overcooked. We did not order puddings but did have a cheese plate. Decent selection of cheese but a fairly small portion. Chutney was tasty but there were not enough crackers. So nothing about this visit was really horrible but everything together just did not make it a place I would bother to visit again. We tried it based on Trip Advisor recommendations which just goes to show that you can only trust reviews so far. We rarely take a chance on a new place when entertaining so perhaps this was our warning to return to that school of thought.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Michael S, General Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear VMJengland,
Thank you for your review.
Firstly, I would like to apologise that the experience wasn't as you expected. Our menu is reduced on a Sunday in order to accommodate the number of guests we have on what is our busiest day of the week. Overall this has been well-received, but something we will look at again, specifically Sunday evenings.
There is no excuse for a fragmented delivery of your food and I completely understand that it is even more uncomfortable when you are entertaining guests and their food arrives after yours. This is a training issue and the team will be briefed about this.
Finally, I will pass on your feedback about the food to the kitchen, particarly the roast potatoes. We have a brigade of very talented chefs and the basics you mention should be achieved on a consistent basis.
It would be great if we could have the opportunity to welcome you back and demonstrate our normal form! Please can I ask that you contact me directly at The Chester Fields and I can go through your experience in more detail.
I very much look forward to hearing from you soon.