“Excellent all round!” 5 of 5 stars

+44 (0)1244 303100
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chester Fields is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 411 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
“Excellent all round!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Visited Chester Fields for my wife's birthday after reading the excellent reviews on TA.

Rang and booked a table only 3 days in advance and was fitted in with no problem. Had a courtesy call on the Friday lunchtime to confirm the booking which was a nice touch.

The actual restaurant was excellent. Lovely building, great decor, lots of privacy around the tables so you can talk to people you're with without all and sundry hearing you.

Food was exceptional- I had the bubble and sqeak potato cakes for starters and the Beef and Mushroom pie with mash for main. Both dishes were spot on.
My wife had the chicken strips for starters which I tried and were great. For main she had gammon and vegetables, this was meant to be with chips but she asked for veg which was delivered with no problems.

This is a good quality place without being stuffy and pretentious. It's also not the cheapest place to eat but it's not over the top expensive. 4 drinks, 2 starters and 2 mains for £45.

Would definitely recommend and can't wait to visit again.

The waiter was excellent, continuously checking that the food was good, and asking if he could do anymore.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Hi there Mark and thank you so much for reviewing us. We really do appreciate all of our guests comments and I am delighted that you had such a nice experience. We are just in the process of finalising our new menus and you’ll be pleased to hear that we are keeping the Bubble & Squeak potato cake on ... it’s one of our favourites too !
I’m so glad that you commented on the privacy as this was a real focus when we were designing the building .. cosy, intimate tables were a top priority.
Thanks again Mark and I very much look forward to meeting you and your wife soon.

Cheshire
“A real find we will be returning!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012 via mobile

We have just had a fantastic first meal at the Chester Fields and what a great place it is!

My husband and I opted for the roast beef Sunday dinner, beautiful! My son liked the children's menu especially the doughnut, marshmallow and chocolate dip dessert (afew starter options for children would be the only change I would like to see) and he loved the arcade games upstairs in the games room, a nice touch.

The place is very nicely decorated and the service was attentive and friendly. It is not a cheap place, 2 adult and 1 child mains and desserts with a drink each came to just over £50 but we will be calling again! it would be nice to maybe see some midweek or early dining offers in which case we would be here alot more frequently!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi there pendragonk and thank you for writing this review for us ... really good feedback for us and whereas our children’s menu has gone down very well so far – you are the first person to make these suggestions, perfect timing as we are just preparing our new menus!
It isn’t in our immediate plan to promote dining offers, we do feel that our product is a balance of good value and good quality, but nothing is ever set in stone and we are totally at the mercy of our customers so the suggestion will most certainly be investigated! Thanks again and please say hi next time you’re in, it would be nice to thank you personally.
north wales
“The Chester Fields”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We went to the Chester Fields last night after reviewing the glowing reports from satisfied guests.On arrival we were really impressed, a really impressive place, very much to our liking. We were eager to sit down and place our order.
We started with the sharing loaf with balsamic vinegar. Lovely fresh bread but it was not a loaf, it was two bap sized loaves stuck together. I was disappointed that about that but more so that the bread was stone cold and I mean cold.
The starters were the potato cake which my husband said was very good.I had the cod cheek starter. It was delicious but the two cod cheeks were minuscule. Perhaps I was unlucky there?
For our mains, my husband had the burger, which he said was very nice but the twice cut chips were very greasy and had absorbed the fat. I had the braised beef.The beef was nicely cooked but the sauce quite tasteless.
We didn't have a dessert because it was getting late.
There was one thing that I personally would address at this restaurant.One of the waitresses was wearing jeans!! Even McDonalds staff are better presented than that !!
All in all, a lovely place to dine but has a few teething problems. Next time I would try the lunch but I wouldn't dash back for an evening meal. Sorry.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Hi there baal and thank you very much for writing this response – we really appreciate each and every review that we receive as we believe this is how we learn, and make our product better.
I have had a chat with Chef and he whole heartedly agrees with the chips issue (on this particular night), we agree with you that it is not acceptable to serve sub-standard chips in a country Pub! We have talked about the other issues and we are sincerely sorry that your experience didn’t match up to your expectations, of course we would very much like you to return to show you how well we can do. My email address is izzy@thechesterfields.co.uk, please book with me directly.
On the issue of uniform – and therefore an integral part of our brand – we are indeed a pub! Jeans are a very important part of the overall look and feel of The Chester Fields and we do believe that this is in-keeping with our overall pubby, rustic feel. I’m sorry you don’t agree on this point.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back, so as mentioned, please email me directly to make your booking so we can make sure you go away next time with a much more positive view.
Kindest, Izzy x
Chester, United Kingdom
“Definitely worth a visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012 via mobile

We have been looking forward to trying out this place which is conveniently just down the road from where we live.......our only regret is that we didn't get there sooner! It really is excellent.....friendly, efficient staff,a good, varied menu to accommodate all tastes using local produce. The portions were great, my husband has a huge appetite, and the quality of the food is superb! It is great to have somewhere where you can guarantee things are homemade and not simply defrosted and cooked through a microwave. We cannot wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Hi Charlotte and thank you so much for your kind words, it’s very nice to meet another of our neighbours ! We are proud of our menu and very keen to work with local producers – in fact we are just about to start a series of blogs about our suppliers which we will be posting to facebook and twitter so watch out for those ... Thanks again Charlotte and very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Chester Fields.
Cheshire, UK
“Fab butties”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Went here with a friend for lunch. Their 'Build your own Butty' menu is really good and just right for lunch time. We had the soup to accompany our butties; the day we were there it was carrot and parsnip and it was absolutely delicious.
Staff were friendly and attentive and I'll definitely be back to try the evening menu in the near future

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hi there and thank you for reviewing us. Very pleased that you enjoyed your butty! This has gone down very well – especially at lunch times – so thank you for your comments. We are just about to bring a new menu out but we certainly won’t be changing our ‘build your own butty or salad’ sections ! Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Chester Fields.