“Worthwhile visit” 4 of 5 stars

Chessington, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Worthwhile visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

A very interesting visit. A very rich red sandstone building with fantastic stained glass and a beautiful carved choir screen

The cloistered garden is also a lovely area for quiet contemplation

Leeds, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
“A cosy cathedral”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

It's big but it feels somehow cosier that other great cathedrals - maybe it's the red sandstone. It has a fascinating mix of the old (Victorian refurbishment and decoration - the mosaics are outstanding), the very old (the choir stalls, the church court and so on), and the new - don't miss the 'Creation' window in the refectory, even if you're not having anything to eat/drink. Free to get in but I would urge everyone to leave the suggested donation of £3 - I've paid more for less - it's definitely worth it.

West Midlands
“Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Great place to visit for an hour or so. It was fairy quiet when we visited with a few people milling around. There was no charge to enter but a suggestion of a donation. Interesting things to look at and nice gardens outside.

Bangor, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
“Loads of history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I don't usually visit British religious houses, but having plenty of time in Chester, I thought I'd pop in for a look. The suggested donation entry fee is much better than charging a set price, and I was happy to donate after looking around. The building is very well maintained and has been set up with informative panels near places of interest. I loved the stained glass windows in the clositers, especially the personal and sometimes quirky additions to the classic images.

Visited September 2013
“A peaceful gem in the city centre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stumbled across the Cathedral on a recent family day out and I'm so pleased we did. The medieval court, relics of a saint, fabulous cloisters and when we were there, the sound of the most beautiful music that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. My young sons enjoyed it and some delicious ice cream from the cafe sealed the deal. Actually we ate our treat in a perfectly manicured secret garden that just added to our sense of discovery. The website mentions a new tower tour so we will be back.