“Unfriendly staff” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Inn   |   Higher Burwardsley, Tattenhall, Chester CH3 9PF, England   |
Ranked #32 of 79 Chester B&B and Inns
“Unfriendly staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Myself and 4 friends went for a drink and snacks after a walk along part of the Sandstone Trail.

Pros:
-Great views over the Cheshire Plain towards Liverpool.

Cons:
-Understaffed.
-Long queue at bar.
-Tables not cleared - we had to move the cups and plates from the previous visitors onto an empty table.
-Poor customer service - I revisited the bar to order a second round of drinks and was bluntly told that, "The table is needed from 6 - just so you know".

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Nantwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Amazing place, great location, beautiful views and outstanding food - must see. There is a candle workshop close to and beeston castle worth seeing. If you like walking perfect too - many different options to spend your time

Northwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Our 1 night stay at The Pheasant Inn was ideal. We checked in during a very busy lunchtime service on a Sunday afternoon, and the Car park was fully to bursting, which made this process a little stressful (we were on route to a wedding at the castle, so time was limited) However we were able to check our bags into our room early, and collect our key. We had a very comfortable nights stay, and a yummy breakfast the following morning. We would definitely recommend to friends and family.

Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Having heard so many 'fab reports' thought we'd go and see the refurb......
yep, beautiful.
Abrupt youngman behind the bar upon arrival, not very welcoming.
Lunchtime today / Sat 22nd Feb
Toilets look great but had tomplay a while to find out how to flush the.
Lift the seat, put it down, lift the seat, put it down and repeat until it is ready to flush again.....
I had the steak ciabatta, very tough bread, almost like it had been frozen and defrosted and a fatty little piece of steak inside.
Hubby had the pulled pork, which was a pork pattie almost burger like, not'pulled' as suggested.
Reasonably priced, but I would not have paid had it not been.
Amazing views and I would go back and try again, once the teething problems have been sorted, and the staff learn to relax.

Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Newly renovated which is lovely to see. Decided to stay for lunch and had the Beef sandwich. Very nice but the Ciabatta was too thick with only 2 thin slices of roast beef inside!!. Nice tasting but felt was paying for a large chunk of bread. Will go again but not to have a bread sandwich...Service average... Views amazing...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

I was on a business trip and stayed 3 nights, I was warmly welcomed by the staff, had what I thought was a very reasonable and comfortable room to be told that it was being revamped in the upcoming renovation program. Ate in the bar each evening, and whilst the steak being served on a sizzle platter was a tad 1980's (and results in it being over-done), the food each night was very good, well presented, and the staff just couldn't do enough to make it more enjoyable. It's so good that I'd make the trip to it just for a weekend.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Wrexham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

me & my partner came across this little beauty a couple of months ago. we googled nice walks around the area & higher burwardsley came up so we parked up at the candle factory and followed the footpaths to beeston castle & back. before we travelled home my partner went in to the pheasant to get a couple of ciders and I waited outside with our puppy, it was absolutely packed out. we sat outside & then a couple told us there was a table free and dogs were welcome inside, as soon as I stepped in I fell in love with the place, the views, the log fires, the menu, the wine list, the friendly, smiley staff everything ticked all the right boxes, we finished our ciders and had to leave as we had dinner arranged at my grandmas (unfortunately as we could have stayed there all afternoon & booked ourselves in to one of there rooms!)

Anyway.... this place has now became special to me & my partner because we found it together with our little puppy so last Saturday we couldn't think of a better place to celebrate valentines day so we arrived around 12.15 we had a table booked in front of the fire which was getting lit when we turned up, it was perfect. for starters we went for the simple choice of pork scratching's & garlic ciabatta (with cheese of course) & then for mains my partners had a lamb dish off the valentines menu & I had a delicious beetroot & goats cheese tart layered with some kind of sweet Chinese lettuce (as it was described to me by the lovely waiter) after our meals we had a little rest and enjoyed the atmosphere before ordering a sticky toffee pudding & a chocolate brownie, both desserts were melt in your mouth delicious!

I would recommend this place to anyone, it really is magical, our best ever find!
thank you to all the staff who were very welcoming & gave our puppy so much attention :)
we will defiantly be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Pheasant Inn? Share your experiences!