“Top drawer” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 45 hotels in Chester
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Top drawer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is an excellent hotel. The accommodation was outstanding and the staff made us feel very welcome and were most helpful and informative. We were immediately upgraded on our arrival to a beautiful suite. It was spotlessly clean and most comfortable. The breakfast menu had something for all tastes and was all freshly prepared and cooked. I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel. It is a real gem.

628 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

It is obvious by the many excellent reviews, that this hotel are receiving, is that they are achieving good results because they are sticking to good old traditional British custom that is so rarely seen anymore - A custom/service that works - Happy, helpful and excellent management, Silver service waiter/tress staff, large very clean rooms (we were also upgraded) with plenty of shampoo/bubblebath/robes etc, excellent food and choice, easy access to the centre by walking (1.5miles) or cab (£4 -£6), easy access to desired destinations (zoo etc), excellent lounge with plenty of comfy seating, with a witty waiter who serves you well.

We will return here, as we were so impressed with everything, including big Ted on the bed!

Room Tip: All rooms look good and inviting
K'ford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We've just come back from another stay at our favourite hotel. Every time we stay at the Green Bough I wonder if they will be able to keep up their incredibly high standards... the answer is 'yes'! In fact, it just gets better and better!! Nothing is too much trouble; even an unexpected request for an impromptu lunch resulted in a feast which included Belgian chocolate tart and clotted cream! Once again we were up-graded to a suite of sumptuous quality and on our arrival we were greeted in our room not just by Mr Bear but with chocolates, fruit and gifts. Who needs mega-chain hotels when you can get perfection at the Green Bough?!?

Room Tip: They're all good!
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a second time in less than a year. Each room has it's own unique style and it's own name. We chose a different room on the second visit and were glad to do so simply to add variety. The staff couldn't have been more helpful - the welcome is warm and the service outstanding. I would recommend dining at the hotel as, again, the staff are only too pleased to make your dining experience exceed expectations and the food is sublime.
We'll be back...

Room Tip: A look at the website may be useful for room choice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Walsall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at this Hotel in October for 1 night we had booked the room the day before , I had spent time looking at reviews of hotels in the Chester area and this appealed to me , I was not dissappointed.
The room was good with a very comfortable bed, we were upgraded and treated to a selection of chocolates and fruit in our room as we were celebrating our Ruby Wedding Anniversary.
We dined at the hotel, the meal and the service was excellent , and breakfast in the morning was superb with a choice of cooked to order hot breakfast and a selection of fresh fruit , cereal etc.The staff were all attentive and efficient , its so good to find a hotel that puts the customer first. I will return to this hotel and would recommend it to anyone looking for a Hotel with a character of its own providing good service and good quality food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have just returned from an overdue and well earned break for my wife's 40th birthday. I had spent an age reviewing various hotels in and around Chester but just kept coming back to this place. I am a great believer in 'you get what whay you pay for' but this exceeded that. We got a warm welcome, uncomplicated check in and an incredible room. We didnt dine at the hotel (other than breakfast) but during our stay the staff proved to be attentive without being intrusive (a fine line) and did everything to ensure we had a pleasant stay, Absolutely first class. Oh, and the aforementioned breakfast was sublime and the Smoked Haddock and Poached Hen's Egg is a must.........

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Despite my ascertain 6 weeks earlier that I had enjoyed the Grosvenor so much that I wanted to stay there every time I needed a place to lie in Chester, it was The Green Bough at which I found myself during a rare sunny afternoon in August. The Grosvenor was fully booked due to a Horse Racing Meeting taking place that day, so I had put my faith in Tripadvisor and checked in to their top ranked hotel.

As usual the Tripadvisor community had chosen well. I was greeted by a cheery member of staff and shown to a spacious room on the ground floor. The room had a feint musty smell and there was evidence of a recent flood from above in the bathroom light fittings, but other than that it was what would be expected of an establishment of this type. A reasonable sized TV, comfy bed and tasteful decor.

Having an hour to kill I was invited up to the ‘Rooftop Terrace Bar’, which brought to mind images of St Tropez or Miami Beach, but turned out to be an oversized landing on top of the fire escape. But someone had clearly gone to some effort up there, with decking and pot plants, in fact with the trees in bloom and the sun shining I struggled to think of anywhere I’d rather be.

After a drink I trapsed into town to watch an outdoor performance of 12th Night in Grosvenor Park (which was excellent). The Green Bough is situated on one of the main roads into Chester 15 – 20 minutes’ walk from the city centre. It’s not the most scenic of journeys, but if the rain holds off it’s pleasant enough.

Breakfast was excellent with all the usual fayre available to order along with a reasonable buffet section. There’s nothing more likely to put me in a grump in the morning than sub-standard orange juice, and I glad to report that I left there smiling (how hard can it be to squeeze a few oranges, or even just buy some Tropicana, and why do so many places insist on serving rubbish? Grrrrrrr).

Overall a very well run establishment, that didn’t exactly blow me away, but didn’t disappoint either. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Green Bough Hotel? Share your experiences!