“friendly and good value” 4 of 5 stars

Devonia Lodge Guest House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   33 - 35 Hoole Road, Chester CH2 3NH, England   |
Ranked #32 of 78 Chester B&B and Inns
Gwynedd
“friendly and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I spent three nights at the Devonia this week .I found Marie and Mark very friendly and welcoming and attentive. My room at the front was very clean and airy although the furniture was a little shabby. I was probably in the same room as the previous reviewer and was concerned about the noise from the road and from the small bar underneath me. I can honestly say it was fine, I took ear plugs as I m a light sleeper anyway , Friday night the noise from the bar was a little louder but ended at 12 am.
Marie and Mark served a lovely breakfast and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. I would recommend the Devonia especially if you are looking for good value, near the centre of the lovely city of Chester and a clean and comfortable environment, no frills but lots of personable warmth.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Stuteley1961, Owner at Devonia Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for the review, it's much appreciated as we are trying to build our profile. We totally agree about the furniture in Room 7 and we've actually been today to price up for new bedroom furniture for about 5 rooms as we know it's now in need of upgrading. When we first bought Devonia everything needed upgrading and the budget would only allow us so much per room as you can imagine you don't get a lot for your money these days!! We have also just finishing decorating a couple of rooms since your stay so hopefully next time you come you will see the improvements. Thank you for mentioning about the cleanliness and good service, it is so good to hear. We hope to see you again, in the mean time take care. M&M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The rooms really need refurbishing. I know it is in the process of being upgraded but i think the owners waited for too long, our bathroom was literally falling apart. Don't take room with the window towards the street as it is really noisy and we could hardly sleep. Maybe bed and breakfast accommodation is particularly expensive in Chester, I don't know, for this price in other parts of the country I experienced much better conditions. But to be fair we could not find many places cheaper than this in Chester.

I can see that a lot of people liked their breakfast. Again,can't comment on that, I am not a big fan of English fry up for breakfast. When I requested veggie option they were a bit lost what to do with me. In the end I got eggs and fruits etc and it was ok, but I felt like they have never heard of being vegetarian before, everyone looked so gobsmacked.

Room Tip: not from the side of the street as it is very busy with a lot of noise from the cars
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuteley1961, Owner at Devonia Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Well they say you can't please all of the people all of the time.......it certainly seems the case in this instance. Whilst we are in the process of upgrading bathrooms and decorating bedrooms, all of our bathrooms are clean and very serviceable and are not by any stretch of the imagination "literally falling apart". We really do take exception to comments like these as they can be very damaging.

Also our rooms are in the process of being re-decorated but again it's just to "freshen them up" as when a lot of people use the rooms on a regular basis scuff marks do appear on walls. We are made up of a very competent team who are keen on keeping Devonia in very good condition.

Devonia Lodge is situated on the main A56 Hoole road in to Chester so you would expect there to be some noise in this busy area however we have excellent double glazed windows that eliminate a lot of the traffic noise but obviously if it is a particularly warm night and you had the bedroom window open this I'm afraid can't be helped due to our location.

I'd like to assure you that after 49 years of trading at Devonia with the same family we are used to catering for vegetarians and obviously as you remove certain types of food from your diet your choices will reduce but to say we were "gobsmacked" and only offered you eggs is really stretching the truth. You actually requested eggs on toast and a banana from our waitress and you made no mention of the fact that you were vegetarian at breakfast, we assumed that this was just your preference.

We are pleased to see our guests participating in feedback which we actively encourage to enable us to give other customers a realistic balanced view, however we are disappointed that your views have been bought to our attention now and not during your stay as I'd be unhappy to even stay in an establishment like the one described by you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Very warm friendly welcome. Would recommend this place to anyone best latte around :) owners make u feel like ur part of their family. Very clean and tidy. Would feel comfortable walking in on my own as a female.

• Stayed September 2013
Thanks for the mention Symone, hope to see you soon for a "lovely latte". Kind regards, M&M
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just arrived home after a night in Chester staying at the Devonia. We had a triple room. Room slightly dated but in the process of being upgraded. Very clean and staff attentive. Allowed us to park in their car park before and after check in/out! Breakfast was lovely and you could not ask for a better location. Great base to explore Chester. Thanks very much :)

• Stayed September 2013
Many thanks for your comments, really glad you enjoyed your weekend in Chester. As mentioned in your review we are in the process of redecorating our rooms (AGAIN....seems never ending ha ha), however it's always good to choose new furniture and colour schemes over coffee and cake!! so always a plus side. Hopefully next time you come you will be even more impressed. Take care, kind regards, M&M
Leigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stopped here on the 31 August 2013 with 6 other girls on a Hen party (2 double rooms and a triple room). It's a brill place to stop, not far from the town centre and nobody had any complaints! The owners were really friendly and welcoming and served up a lovely breakfast in the morning! If I do return to Chester I would definitely return to Devonia Lodge Guest House and recommend to anyone looking for a cheap but comfortable stay :D

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review, so glad you all enjoyed your weekend with us at Devonia. You are all welcome back any time. Many thanks, M&M
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed here 2nights with 2friends in room 3. Really spacious room nothing to complain about! Lovely friendly staff, full breakfast was very yummy. Very clean place to stay highly recommended! Walking distance from Chester town centre. Also lots of space to park in their car park at the back which we were also able to use after we had checked out for that day!

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks for the great review ladies, so glad you all enjoyed your weekend. We hope to see you all again. M&M
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I live local in Chester, both my partner and I visited the bar twice and on both occasions enjoyed the company of the owners , its a great place to meet up with friends , the hotel itself downstairs and Bar bar area are immaculately clean and tidy , I would recommend this place to anyone, I also took my work colleagues over they all said how welcoming and friendlythe place was.

Will definately make it our local !!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Janie, Thanks so much for the kind mention, we really appreciate you coming in to see us with friends and colleagues and you'll be pleased to hear that we are starting to do food (hot bar snacks & light lunches) in October. Glad you've made us your local out of all the choices in Hoole. See you soon. M&M

Been to Devonia Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!