“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Yorkshire
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

Whilst located on the outskirts of Chester, the benefit is that it is situated in stunning well kept grounds. Works were ongoing with the addition of a Spa, although this was not intrusive in any way. The main original buiding was impressive, but the contrast was significant on entering reception which was cold and clinical in its layout. The rooms were well equipped, comfortable and finished to a high standard, although the bath was very badly pitted in several places only some of which seemed to have been subject to a token gesture to repair/cover. The spotlight over the bath also wasn't working, making bathing a somewhat seedy experience. Whilst acknowledging the limitations attaching to a buffet breakfast, the offering here was very much at the lower end of expectations. Finally on checking out, the problems with the bath were mentioned and responded to only by way of an acknowledgement without apology. More positively, the pricing was competitive.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

The reception area is huge and modern The check in was quick and the warm cookie was a nice touch. Our room was on the ground floor, with a view of the building site, nice! Massive comfy bed, although some of the pillows were a bit smelly, they brought new ones to us when we told them the next morning. The toiletries were a nice touch, facial wash and nice soap and got replaced the next day too. There is no where to put your clothes! A very small wardrobe and thats it, they had to stay in the suitcase.
Wet patch on carpet next to fridge, did mention it to reception but nothing was done.
Didn't have breakfast at it was £15 per person.
Would probably stay again as its proximity to Chester is very good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Tony004, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, July 22, 2009
Thank your for your positive feedback. In relation to breakfast price and also feedback given in earlier reviews, we are constructing a new buffet bar in-order to present our hot/cold food in more professional way which will help both in efficiency/presentation and food served at the appropriate temperatures HOT & CHILLED. We have also reduced our price to £12.95 until the new system is in-place. Thank You again for your comments.
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Stayed here 27th june 2009 with 3 friends as we were going to chester races.The outside of the hotel was fab huge gardens ,fountains and gazebos. Reception area was packed but we were dealt with quickly and efficiently, we were early by 2 hours for check in but as we had pre paid we just signed in so we didnt have 2 do it in the evening. All the public areas in the hotel were immacculate and you could tell it had recently been renovated to an excellent standard. Rooms were huge ,clean, bright and airy, with 2 single beds(which were soooooo comfy ),flat screen wall mounted tv, desk area, mirrored wardrobes(with tea and coffee making facilities in),chair and randomly a leather lounger 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!. The bathroom was lovely too with amazing power shower. Really couldnt fault this hotel for the money and itwas only £6 pounds to the racecourse too. We will definately be returning next year .

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Tony004, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
Thank you for your kind comments and hope to be service again soon! Hopefully when our New Spa/Club open's in November 09.
Haywards Heath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

A trip to the north to see relatives gave me the opportunity to stay in this new (ish) Doubletree property. The family is in Liverpool, so the hotels location, by the end of the M53, which takes you direct to the Mersey Tunnel, was good. The room rate was attractive so I decided to sample the property.

Hilton have done a good job with the renovation of this property. They've taken Hoole Hall and done a great job of adding plush rooms, a nice restaurant, and a yet to be completed health club. The hotel is inviting when you drive in with a nice small lake, complete with fountain, and a smart looking building.

Check in was quick and efficient, but my room was pretty much as far from reception as you could go. My car was parked right outside my room, but there is no access to the rooms other than by the front entrance, so it was a long long walk to go from room to car and vice versa. A side entrance would be useful!

The rooms, as with the rest of the hotel, are new. Colours are browns and beiges, and fittings, linen and furniture are all as you would expect in a new hotel. The room was cosy - there was not a lot of space to move. The bathroom was more spacious with soft, plush towels. Free internet in the room was a nice bonus. Lets see this more often at other Hilton properties.

The only major criticism I had was breakfast. For me, this was complimentary. But it was disappointing. Not horrible, but not exceptional either. The selection was poor, and buffet selection of hot dishes was anything but hot. The eggs were hot, but the fried bread, sausages and bacon were all cold. The toast, which was served by the waiting staff on demand, was also cold, and rather rubbery. Despite asking for white toast, I was served a mix of white and brown toast. Sauces were not readily available either, and the continental selection was pathetic.

The length of the paragraph on breakfast shows that we always dwell on negatives, and it is a shame that breakfast was disappointing as the rest of the hotel was superb. I would not hesitate to recommend, but would encourage Hilton/Doubletree to sort out breakfast!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Tony004, Genereal Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
Thank you for your feedback both positive and negative. We note your comments relating to breakfast and also from other guest comments in reletion to this. It has been my personal priority and my senior team to improve both the quality and service and hope your experiance next time will be of the high level you and my team expect.
Northumberland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

Had stayed here before when it was a Corus Hotel so knew what it was like .Alas , it has changed , and not for the better . We always stay in Hilton hotels if possible as you get upgrades and favours ( like wine and chocs and things ) ( if you have a gold/diamond card ) Well you get none of this at this Hilton ," don't do anything like that " said a rather snooty receptionist . Have a chocolate chip cookie instead !! ( I hate choc chip cookies !) The start to our hols went down hill from then . It took 3 times of asking to get foam pillows as I am allegic to feathers. There were very few staying there and for some reason , breakfast is cooked to order .Although there were only about 6 others having b'fast they forgot to make my husbands pancakes and brought my poached eggs out before I'd barely started my fruit .they then took them away and brought the sameones back 10 mins later coldish and hard and stuck to a very hot plate !!! Dinner was just ok but very expensive .All attempts to speak to anyone in authority were thwarted ( except the housekeeper ,who was very nice ) in fact I am still waiting to hear from the manager ,or duty manager or anyone . I have left messages and phone numbers etc.and have had not a tweet back in nearly 2 weeks . The moral of this is don't bother with this hotel ,try one of the other Hiltons, they are all so much better run and much more reasonable etc. p.s.there are no drawers in the bedrooms and only a very small wardrobe , so we were unable to unpack ! and they added a 10% service charge in the dining room to a dinner that had been paid for 2months before and to the wine !! so a £16 bottle of wine ended up costing us nearly £23

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

I am very, very disappointed with this hotel.

My extended family took 20 odd rooms here for two nights as part of the weekend of my wedding in Chester and the experience that we had at this hotel was the only slight on a superb weekend.

At check in, even thought my wife to be and I were booked in the Presidential Suite, I found the receptionist who checked me in to be surly and unco-operative. i was left with the impression that I ought to be grateful to be allowed to stay in this place which, admittedly, is a highly impressive building.

Upon getting to our room, I was amazed to discover that the hotel had not even gone to the trouble to leave even a card wishing us luck. We had spoken to the hotel extensively in the run up to the weekend and they were fuly aware we had people from all over the globe coming to stay. It is interesting that all 5 of the hotels we subsequently stayed in in Italy all made mention of our honeymoon - just a shame that a Hotel at home can't show this level of thoughtfulness.

I was also surprised to see that the Mini-Bar was not stocked - maybe a tee-total president had been the last inhabitant of the Suite.

Service problems persisted throughout our stay. The Hotel, although they knew one of our party was a wheelchair user, assigned us a room upstairs to have breakfast in resulting in half of us sat upstairs whilst the other half of the wedding party were downstairs.

We also found a cheaper rate at the hotel the week before we stayed even though we had been informed that we were being sold a special rate given that we were part of a group that would be pumping thousands of pounds into the hotel over the weekend. When we took this up with them, we were just told - "Oh well, we'll give all of your guests an upgrade." Which didn't happen incidentally.

I have personally spoken to three members of the Hotel Staff to try and resolve the above issues. The latest offer on their part was to grant me an additional 2000 points on my HiltonHonours card which is derisory to say the least.

I am in fact still waiting for the Hotel manager to call me back after i was promised that he would a few days ago......

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

We very much enjoyed our stay at the hotel over the bank holiday weekend.
The rooms were clean, well designed and comfortable.
The service we received was excellent (we especially enjoyed the warm cookie on arrival!)
We had breakfast included in our room rate which we enjoyed on both mornings of our stay. They had a good selection of hot and cold food, all well presented.
The hotel bar/lounge area was also good. We enjoyed a drink there on one evening.
We weren't affected by the building works.
We definitely hope to stay again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Chester? Share your experiences!