“poor quality housekeeping.” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“poor quality housekeeping.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

although we have been to this hotel before and were very happy, this time we discovered the curtains on the floor and nobody had bothered to do anything about it. had the room been checked it would have been picked up. although we were assured by phone that the hotel had the mattress toppers which are commonplace at other doubletree, we did not get them, the beds were very hard and complaints fell on deaf ears.My bed although single in size had a king size duvet which I used double and slept on top but the bed was still uncomfortable. No toiletries, we asked the cleaner but didn't get any we rehung the curtains ourselves at midnight after several calls to reception. The careline number given out to guests is never answered. On departure I suggested that they check the beds and curtains as our concerns had been ignored only to be told that there should have been mattress toppers and she couldn't understand why the curtains fell onto the floor. the bed was pushed against the window and the curtain rail had no end stops. I was then told the problem was that we had asked for a twin room so the king size bed had been separated into two singles. The room we booked and paid for was a superior twin plus not a broom cupboard.

Room Tip: if you book a particular room insist on it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Check-in was efficient and friendly with a welcome warm cookie per guest on cold night.

The cleanliness of the room was ok but there were hairs on the bathroom floor, which I loathe! it doesn't take much to run the vacuum round the whole place while you're "cleaning the room".

It's always an added bonus to stay somewhere where you get a good nights sleep when you're on business and have a busy day ahead. I had a lovely comfortable night in my double room with large bad and very comfy pillows!! I make a big thing about it because I don't sleep too well in hotels in general - I always hear every little or loud noise there is and get really agitated. I felt refreshed for my event at Chester zoo the next day.

Chester seems like a lovely place and this hotel is a little out of the centre, but I would definitely like to return. I think I'd try the spa next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Lauren-Douglas, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Sorry for the cleanliness issue you mention, this has been discussed with our Head Housekeeper to ensure the service and check of rooms is paramount.

Glad you had a undisturbed night’s stay and you had a great day at the zoo as well!

Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had two rooms a double and a twin, the rooms were not ready upon arrival but we didnt have to wait too long. The rooms were small but clean and comfortable, the spa is excellent and well worth a visit as it is free to guests.
The down side is the limited snack menu and lack of a decent coffee and cake during the day, the alternative being a trip in to Chester which is a very long walk or a short drive.
We had evening dinner in the restaurant which was OK but nothing special, however breakfast was excellent with fantastic choice to suit even the fussiest eaters (my daughter).
Overall a very nice place to chill out for a couple of days.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Our lunch menu proves to be very popular, however I apologise you felt this was limited and have fed your comments back to our Restaurant Manager for review.

On the other hand, I am delighted you all enjoyed breakfast and had an overall comfortable stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We were staying here for my brothers wedding. The food was amazing, staff were amazing, spa was amazing and the rooms for amazing. Would definately stay here again. I was also impressed with the onsite 'chapel' this is where the cermoney was conducted. Very clean and tidy.

• Stayed May 2012
Another amazing review!
We hope your brother had a great time celebrating such a special occasion too.

We hope to see you again in the future.

manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have previoulsy visited many Doubletree's, and this was not our first trip to Chester's Doubletree. It will however be our last!

Check in was smoothish, we got rooms together as requested, although not close to the lift as asked. Being at the end of the corridor and only a short walk away, we were happy. One of our 3 rooms wasn't ready but we only waited for 30 minutes and had a coffee in the hotel's bar. Food we had in the hotel was fine, £3 for a coffee.

Our visit to the spa was good, and the night was going well until we went to bed. Room 101 is right above the reception and was next to Tom's 21st Birthday bash which we could hear in our room with the TV on.

I phoned down from the room, letting them know I could hear the music and was told it would go off in 45mins (11.30pm). 30 minutes later, we could hear the words to the songs now over the TV and that had been turned up. Even my phone could pick up the songs so it's "name that song" app. I went down and asked again about the noise and if they had ear plugs. I was told, "we're a hotel, we have parties every saturday night" I was offered a different room but told, it's a noisy room. So why would we move? The hotel had no ear plugs, which I was told they would bring up to my room but when I went down to enquire where they were, they then told me they had non.

AT 11.45am I went down again, asking about the music, to be told it was acutally 1am. I was not happy and didn't sleep until close to 2am in the end. If we'd not had a drink we would have got in the car and driven home.

The following day I spoke to the manager, Who could only appologise. I was not offered any compensation and will be writing to put a formal complaint in. Doubletree had more than one chance to fix this problem, but seem to think that "sorry" would fix our lack of sleep.

We left the hotel wishing we'd not gone, and were not glad to be there.....like the hotel promotes.

Room Tip: Don't stay in rooms 101-110 or 201-210 unless you want to stay awake until 1am.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Your comments have been investigated and a full response has been sent to you from our Front Office Manager.

bendigot
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We had a 2 night stay during October, it was a nice hotel but not up to the standard of a Hilton that we are used to. To many people in the pool/gym as locals can use the facilties as well . Paintwork in room looked like it was done by handyman.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not up to standard. If there are any issues it is important we rectify them at the time so it is disappointing we were not given the opportunity to resolve this for you.

I understand you may be reluctant to return to our hotel, but I do hope you decide otherwise and we will do our upmost to ensure you have a comfortable stay.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

The hotelis a refurbishment of a much older 'Hall', maintaining some of its features and looks, with a coating of 21st century designer hotel. So, it's smart and comfortable, well laid out and slick. The restaurant package and service is certainly good, and the relaxed 'open' breakfast format is excellent, with we'll cooked fresh produce in real diversity and quantity. But, frankly, this review COULD be about any one of a hundred hotels across the country offering a similar styled and quality of product, but - I WILL strongly commend one aspect of this hotel that stands out and genuinely makes it a worthwhile choice and very probable return ........ It's people. The company clearly recruits (and I hope pays) very well, the character and personality of very good staff throughout the hotel is apparent from minute one to farewell. This DOES make the difference. And one very good example of this is a chap called 'Gary' who had the often hectic and pressured job of managing and delivering room service meals and drinks during the stay. Gary exemplifies the type of excellent staff attitude and genuine integrity and concern for detail and quality that makes this hotel memorable amongst the crowd. Well done!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Your comments are much appreciated, thank you.

We have a fantastic team who are always willing to give of their best. Gary in particular will be flattered by your comments, and you will be pleased to know the management team are delighted too.

Thanks once again, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Lauren Douglas

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Chester? Share your experiences!