“welcome break slightly spoilt” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Chester
cheltenham
“welcome break slightly spoilt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

we looked forwards to this break to enable us to meet with our two dear friends who we had not seen since oyr last meeting in cyprus 2 years ago so the two wives had plenty to catch up on.The welcome at reception was warm and friendly our room although of average size was clean and well equipped with all you could want in a hotel so far so good.
Because we had booked a meal in mpw for the saturday evening we decided to eat in the brassierere the service was good however bones in the haddock and bland flavour of the taggliterre put a damper on that meal,The evening meal in mpw startd well until it came to firstly ordering no sea bass last one just gone ect ect the chosen meals duly arrived haddock rissotto once again more bones sorry but in an establishment of this supposed standard pin boneing should be the norm lesser chip shops do this as standard and to encounter this problem on two successive evenings is not acepptable so on the whole nice hotel good rooms very good breakfast poor evening meals

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Lauren-Douglas, Guest Relations at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I apologise the evening meals were not up to standard and you left us feeling understandably disappointed. Your comments have been discussed with our Food and Beverage Manager who will investigate this further.

We are pleased your room was comfortable and our reception team were welcoming.

Lauren Douglas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We treat ourselves to a stay at this hotel every few months when Hilton are having a sale. Since the last time we visited they have given some of the rooms and corridors a lick of paint and fitted nice cladding around the outdoor spa pool. On the last couple of visits we have also used the restaurant and have been impressed with the quality of the food and the service. There seems to be a new bar/restaurant manager who is very efficient. The only slight downside when we last visited were quite a few children in the spa pool - IMO they should limit them to certain times, particularly as it is marketed as a place for relaxation. We also had a problem with the air conditioning in our room which meant it was quite hot (although I should add it didn't bother us enough to report it). Bit of a tip if you are room only and don't want to pay for a full breakfast - they serve lighter bites in the bar (bacon sandwich/scrambled eggs) and the price is reasonable. Overall it is a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Great comments from a regular visitor to our Hotel.

The refurbishments have had an all round positive impact so we are glad you noticed this too.

There are specific swim times for children during the week and over the weekend, I apologise you were not made aware of these.

We hope you continue to enjoy your stays at Doubletree, Chester.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a very nice good sized room with a huge bed which was spotlessly clean and well presented. Unfortunately though there were little niggles such as black finger marks on both cream curtains, an alarm clock that no one could find out how to fix correct the time, batteries in safe had expired, power sockets not working which took the edge off.
These coupled with very poor service in the brasserie (Cold soup, burnt creme brulee, non existent staff to mention just some problems) which we noted on our second night and which affected the tables either side of us as well as us let the hotel badly down.
We did not exist on the breakfast list on the second day for some reason.
Reception was bright & cheerful but again did not appear to understand what they were doing.
On the plus side the food was very good (once the soup had been reheated) and I would particularly recommend the fried haddock on the brasserie daily menu.
I do not understand how such a hotel can serve the same flavoured soup of the day each day?????????

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Apologies for the issues you mention regarding the standard of your room, and the service you received in our Brasserie. At present, we are currently undergoing thorough room checks to ensure all of our guest rooms remain at our usually high standard.

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Admittedly I stay at this hotel frequently and rarely put a review together. However, last night I attended a dinner dance and listen to colleagues and guests who had so many positive comments I just felt compelled to put something together. The event room was fantastically well decorated, staff just great, management so helpful and food quality excellent dealing with over 150+ guests.
The overall quality was top rate. So well done to the management, staff and front desk for making last night a memorable one.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your comments showing such warmth for the team here at Doubletree.

The dinner dance was a fantastic event; it was a pleasure to have you all and we are delighted to have been a part of your evening.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

The hotel has extensive grounds and the look of a country estate so great first impression. The check in and out worked well and the room was large by UK standards and had was well funished. I have friends in Chesire and they rave about its top eatery. The whole establishment has a nice modern feel about it. The only downside is that sound from other rooms is very noticable so it would be rather unpleasant if you strike noisy neighbours. What might also be a negative for some is that nearest shops are a fair walk but a short drive. I stayed on a weekend and the rate was very attractive.

Room Tip: There is no issue with street noise but I wouldnt want to be too close to the functions area because...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Delighted your friends recommended us, and you too had a great stay.

The local shops are within a mile so not too far for those travelling by car, or those who fancy a stroll into town.

We hope to see you again,

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I booked a midweek getaway overnight spa day directly through the hotel thinking that £210 pound for a nights stay bed breakfast 1 half hour treatment and marco pierre white meal with full spa use was resonable. When trying to book it took 6 phone call throughout the day to contact the hotel which I thought was strange but I carried on. When I gt through and booked the stay I wanted to book additional treatments which would of taken my bill up to about £400 I was passed to the spa whose line was busy and then cut off! I rang again and I was told they would ring back which they didn't! I rang the next day and the same happend again ! When I eventually did get through I was told I couldent have the treatment I wanted because the slots that were left were only for 1 hour sessions and the treatment I wanted was 1hr 30 mins so I was for to choose another 1 on the spot I the. Asked what my complimentary half hour treatment was. I was told it was a facial which neither I or my partner wanted as certain things do not agree with out skin! I asked to change this for a half hour massage which was refused I asked if there was anything I could change it for and was told I could use its value against a massage if I paid an additional £20 for the two of us. I agreed to this and was told I would recurve conformation through a email this also never materialised !!! After looking on the Internet I found much better deals and when ringing another hotel to enquire I received much better customer service so I decided to book with them instead. When ringing the Hilton again I could not get through eventually after a day of trying I gt through to a call centre who told me I had to cancel directly with the hotel and they had no reception staff answering the phone on weekends which is beyond belief !! When I finally cancelled on the Monday know one asked why or even seemed to care do if u ask me they don't deserve my money or any1 else's for that matter and I would not bother going there when there are plenty of better soa hotels around!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Very sorry to hear of your difficulty trying to arrange and book a spa package with us.
The Club & Spa is incredibly popular, however your booking experience is unacceptable and has been fed back to the General Manager.

I hope you allow us the opportunity to rectify this and choose to book in with us at Doubletree again.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Its the second time staying at the property and this time I was disappointed! - Firstly let me say the rooms are really nice, its well appointed, and the bed is comfortable (could do with plug bed side).

Check in was good and efficient as you'd expect. The overall feel of the hotel is impressive. The room is as described above. I decided to eat in the Bistro beside the bar, the dining room was cold - not freezing but cold enough to wonder should i return to my room to get a jumper! Anyway ordered food (starter and main) - both arrived at the same time! not ideal Caesar Salad was tasty ,burger was cold!

after the meal i returned to my room to settle down - read, watch some TV! The walls are paper thin , not sure if it was the room above, below or beside me but i could here everything, they watched the Abba Movie, made phone calls channel and hopped all night!

perhaps they should limit the TV volume!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Chester? Share your experiences!