“What a fabulous spa” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Chester
New Brighton, United Kingdom
“What a fabulous spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed one night in the Doubletree as a birthday treat from my husband. Room was spacious and well equipped. Staff very welcoming and helpful. We didn't try the Marco Pierre White restaurant having decided to go into Chester for a meal (5 mins by taxi). Had a few drinks and a meal at the Ruan Orchid which was disappointing. (see separate review).
The bed was so comfy that I slept soundly all night!!! Breakfast in the Brassserie was excellent and served until 10 in the week and later at weekends.
Check-out was at twelve but we were told that we could use the spa facilities in the afternoon. Had I known how fabulous it was in there we would have spent the previous afternoon in there too!! We started off in the gym then moved into the spa area.
Sauna, various steam rooms including an Aroma room. The pool is quite narrow and designed for lane swimming but the jacuzzi is out of this world. It has a long rectangular part to it where you can lie down and have your whole body massaged by the warm jets, a more traditional circular part to it and, best of all, through a 'doorway' you can swim into an outside area still in the warm jacuzzi. We spent 4 hours there and eventually had to leave as we were turning into 'shrivelled prunes'!!!!!
Didn't try any of the treatments available but there was a wide range.
We have decided that we will visit at least once every couple of months and treat ourselves to a couple of afternoons in the spa with a night in the hotel. Brilliant value for money.

Room Tip: Not disturbed by any noise at all even though we were on Ground Floor. Had a nice garden view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Peter H, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Fantastic review, Thank you. I am pleased you were able to relax in teh spa and utilise teh facilties we have to offer, and what a shame you didnt take the opportunity to dine in our Marco Pierre White Steakhouse. Great opportunity next time. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Peter Hendry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Before I proceed I would just like to reiterate that the vast majority of our stay at The Doubletree was very good. Sadly for us there were just a few issues that meant we were not able to enjoy the experience as much as we had hoped.

Check In – The lady at check-in didn’t tell us anything about dinner until prompted, she failed to recognise that we had booked a Spa Break which was inclusive of dinner.
Spa/Pool Facilities first day – On checking in we were told we were welcome to use the pool and spa facilities prior to our next day treatments. On arrival at the Spa, we queued at reception and were eventually greeted by a young blonde-haired lady. We explained we would like to use the facilities to which she looked at us rather blankly and then thrust two towels across the reception desk. We were not directed, had no explanation of the facilities, changing rooms etc. As we proceeded to walk through the barriers, all the alarms went off! Nobody responded and we were both left standing there waiting for the horrendous screeching noise to stop – slightly awkward and embarrassing! I must say this did not leave us feeling positive about our pending spa day the following day. Once through the changing rooms we found our way using the signage to the basement pool area. We had arrived outside of the children’s swim-times only to find the pool area full of children. All of the spa beds had children’s towels or doubletree spa towels on them reserving the beds like something out of Benidorm! There were dressing gowns, slippers and towels strewn all over the place and it looked generally very messy. The hydro-pool would have been a lovely temperature had there not been such a harsh breeze from the outdoor thermal pool. There were also three children in the hydro-pool despite this being against the spa rules, the youngest being approx 3 years old. The concerning factor being that I do believe children below a certain age are not allowed in these types of pools for health and medical reasons – yet there were no staff members around to remove the children. The children were screaming and splashing (as children do) and it was completely the opposite of relaxing! Eventually approximately 45mins later somebody must have reported the children and a staff member came along to ask them to come out of the hydro – they remained in the pool area however despite it being outside of children’s swim times! I also noticed throughout the day that people were being brought in to the pool area to look around with no protective foot covers which I find quite unhygienic and am quite shocked for a Hilton Doubltree Hotel. All in all, a disappointing day.

Spa Day – In complete contrast to the day prior, we were greeted by a brunette lady whose name I sadly did not catch who was nothing short of wonderful! She fully explained everything we needed to know, took us through the barriers and issued our robes and slippers – it was a true great moment in the world of hospitality and real first class service. Our spa day ran like clock-work and with the exception of the pool and hydro facilities was THOROUGHLY enjoyed. The ladies upstairs at the spa are world-class professionals and the facilities are excellent.

We met a young gentleman in the restaurant who was unfortunately quite overpowering; the information he provided was ridiculously extensive and almost awkward to stand and listed to! I am sure however that the info provided was with the best of intentions. I was a little disappointed that lunch in the terrace was buffet style, nothing was to my taste and I therefore went without any lunch. Check out from the spa was efficient and fast and generally very good.

I am saddened that I am not fully able to provide completely positive feedback as there was elements of our stay that were fantastic. We spent just short of £500 between the two of us on accommodation, treatments and food so I think it is fair to say our experience could have been a little more positive.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, and i am disapointed to read that the experience didnt live up to your expectations, nor our expectations of the quality experience that we aim to provide. I have passed on your comments to our Club and Spa Manager, who i am sure will investigate and where required provide corrective training.
I thnak you for your comments as without which we will not be able to improve. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, and restore your faith in our products and service.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012 via mobile

We spent NYE 2011 with some friends and had a fantastic evening. From the moment we checked in until the moment we checked out the staff were friendly and attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The food in ballroom was lovely, it served quickly and the quality was amazing. Rooms are very spacious and the bed was incredibly comfortable. Thanks Jane, the manager and her team for making NYE 2011 a memorable one.....definitely going back!

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for your review from New Years Eve. We totally agree that it was a fantastic night, and we will be shortly releasing the details for 2012. I am glad Jane and the team stood out to ensure it was a fantastic stay and i will be sure to pass on your comments. Looking forward to welcoming you back for next NY, if not before.

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed here for a one night getaway between Christmas and New Year on a great pre-booking rate of £60 room only.
The hotel is a couple miles outside of Chester centre but there is a bus stop just outside the hotel to the centre which goes about every half an hour.
On arrival we found a parking space fine and found check-in to be very quick and friendly, we arrived a few hours before the stated check-in but they offered to find us an available room.
The bedroom was quite dark as only had a small window but was clean and fresh with a nice comfortable king size bed and full bathroom.
In the afternoon we used the leisure facilities which were excellent but very busy and got quite crowded. The pool is only small and once there are a few people in it its difficult to be able to swim lengths. The spa especially the outdoor bit and all the sauna and steam rooms were lovely and everywhere was very clean.
We had planned to go into Chester in the evening but because of the bad weather decided to try the Marco Pierre White Restaurant which we managed to get a reservation for. We were very glad we did as we found the whole experience excellent, it had a lovely bar area for a pre-dinner drink and the restaurant had a lovely atmosphere. The food and service were excellent throughout and I would highly recommend it, yes it’s not cheap but for treat or special occasion it is worth it.
We had a lovely relaxing stay at the Hilton Doubletree Chester and would definitely go back especially if we could secure a room at the same value.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Peter H, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Chester, responded to this review, February 11, 2012
I am so pleased you were able to join us, and make use of the promotional rates we had offered. Great news that you decided to dine in our Marco Pierre White Steakhouse, and that you had an enjoyable experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I booked this hotel for a night away to celebrate my boyfriends 21st birthday and I’m so glad that I did. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with a warm welcome and a warm cookie, which was delicious. I had upgraded our room to a suite a few days earlier and was excited to see the room. However when we went upstairs the reservation team on the phone hadn’t passed the message onto the hotel. I quickly phoned upstairs and explained that I had upgraded and within a matter of minutes the manager Mark arrived at the door.
Marks attitude and customer service skills were excellent and after explaining the situation he popped back downstairs and told us he would sort out the problem, he did much more than this. When he returned Mark said we didn’t have far to walk to our new suite, we turned left out the door and realised that he had not only upgraded us, but upgraded us to the presidential suite, we were both gob smacked. The suite was amazing with a huge lounge area with Xbox, DVD player, table and chairs and the bathroom was impeccable with double sinks and a double shower. I couldn’t believe that he had done this for us as we would have just been happy with the normal suite, after thanking him a million times Mark told us it was no problem and you ‘only turn 21 once’. I have stayed in many hotels and work in a hotel myself and the way he dealt with this problem was the best service I have ever received.
The hotel itself is beautiful and the spa facilities, which are included in your room charge, are absolutely stunning. Breakfast the next morning that Mark had given us complimentary was lovely and very tasty. All staff that we encountered were polite and helpful but it was really Mark that made our trip. Overall a superb stay with brilliant service, a brilliant hotel and a brilliant birthday.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and that Mark managed to make that stay memorable. I will be sure to pass on your comments to him.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Merseyside
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Arrived for a 2night stay starting Friday 9th December (2011). As you can see from my previous quite frankly appalling review myself and my partner was willing to give this hotel one last chance in the hope all problems had been resolved. This break was meant to be a hassle free few days of relaxation after a motorcycle accident in which my partner broke her arm.

We arrived just after the allocated check in time and were swiftly checked in, no problems here but not much praise to be given either. The dialogue from the gentlemen receptionist was very “stiff” and scripted.

The rooms here on first glance represent outstanding value for money but as per our previous stay here it’s only a few hours after settling in all the roughness appears. Work surfaces not dusted on the corners / edges where you can physically wipe your finger down the sides and collect dust. It is obvious the emphasis is on time where housekeeping quickly glances over everything with a duster. A layer of dust was also clearly visible on the top of the wall mounted 32” LCD TV. By no means was the room dirty but housekeeping in a 4 star establishment really needs to be of a better quality. Once again the plumbing was farcical with hot water been very inconsistent. Shower was just about warm and the bath was unusable throughout the stay, the water just didn’t get hot enough. The duty manager was called and Peter agreed to move us to another room where the same problems remained. Peter was friendly but seems to lack any good listening skills always seeming to reply before I had actually finished speaking. After 2 separate occasions we called him to the first room and the room he had relocated us to, he accepted the problems where unacceptable and offered to reduce our room rate. This hotel needs a few little touches to get it up to a true 4 star standard in my eyes the white washed walls are due a repaint with black marks appearing in various places and not just a few everyday wear marks either and alot more emphasis needs to be put on to the housekeeping team, the room we got relocated to actually had a sticky patch on the work surface which we once again informed the manager of. I also suggest a new boiler is fitted as on 2 occasions plumbing in some form as been a problem.

Room service food on both the days was of good quality and the room service staff are an asset to the hotel. Very polite and customer focused. We did not eat breakfast throughout our stay so would be unfair to comment further on this.

Unfortunately due to 2 visits now with various problems myself and my partner will not be visiting Doubletree Chester again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments.
It is upsetting to note how disappointed you were during your recent stay with us.
We very much pride ourselves on providing our guests with an enjoyable experience, which as you can see has generated much positive feedback. We are sorry for failing to deliver this to you.
We would like to think that all of our team here at Doubletree are customer focused, so it is a shame that on this occasion you felt this was not the case.
Should you decide to visit us again, we will be fully prepared to exceed your expectations.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

Have stayed at the Doubletree a number of times, and always enjoyed a comfortable stay. The hotel has clearly had a lot of investment in recent years, and the result is a clean and modern, and nicely furnuished hotel.

The rooms are large, with big comfy beds, and power showers with TV speakers in the bathrooms. My colleagues companied that walls between the rooms are too thin, but I didn't notice this, and enjoyed a comfortable night's sleep.

The Marco Pierre resturant is OK, but certainly not the standard of his flagship restaurants. There are almost no vegetarian options, and the service lets the restaurant down.

The real highlight of this hotel though is the excellent gym and spa, which is free to use for guests. Be sure to make use of this great facility if you do stay here.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review, and i am pleased to see that you had a great time using our spa facilities. Please accept my apologies for your experience in the Steakhouse Restaurant. We have a range of vegetarian dishes on our vegetarian menu available at all times should any guests highlight to us that they require alternative dishes.
I hope this wont deter you from staying or dining with us in the future.

Peter Hendry

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Chester? Share your experiences!