“Don't go past this one!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   City Road, Chester CH1 3AF, England   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in Chester
Sydney, Australia
“Don't go past this one!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just outside the railway station and a short, pleasant walk to everything in Chester. Friendly and v.helpful staff, good rooms (but check before you sign because we know of at least one very tiny room that's definitely NOT so good, at least not for more than one small person for one night only!). Great breakfast - all you can eat! We didn't find any noise problems despite being at the front overlooking the main road, but if you retire early it could be an issue. Plenty of good pubs and restaurants just a short walk into the town centre - but avoid the underpass because it attracts "undesirables" on occasions. Overall, probably a lot more peaceful than hotels close to the always busy town centre - and they've got a "sister" hotel across the road to help out if they're full.

Room Tip: If they're nearly full you need to be careful you don't end up in the tiny room we got for o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

At £71 for pre booked B&B this was great VFM. The staff were very helpful and the room was great. we even had drinks vouchers in the deal :-)
Very close to nice resaraunts and only a short walk to the canal, walls and town centre

Room Tip: Park at the rear at £2.90 per day is the cheapeast and closest
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
staffordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a lovely tudor front hotel. It is very close to the station, so handy if you travel by train. I would say about a ten minute walk max. It is across the road to its sister hotel and this is where you park your car. To walk to chester centre takes about 10 to 15 minutes. There is a subway to go in and i would not like to walk on my own at night. I would recommend a taxi in that case. On the night we stayed they seemed short staffed as the woman on reception was manning the bar aswell and we waited around a bit for her. Also they seemed to be having a time delay for food in the bar room but the staff were very pleasant although the gentleman on reception when we arrived did not seem like he liked to smile much. He seemed to be more friendly the next morning. The rooms were nice and clean and the bar room was spacious for our family. There is a nice pub a bit down the road towards the station with a beer garden. The hotel is lovely and we had no complaints. One of the rooms was a bit small and did not have a view but this did not bother who was staying there. My room was larger and at the front. It was a bit noisy at night with the drunks rolling past. Perhaps if I had been drunk i would not of noticed :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have just returned home after spending Christmas at this hotel , I was thinking of going elsewhere but my friend came to this hotel last year and said it was fantastic, she said the room last year was cramped and did not have a wardrobe so I paid an extra £80 for an '' executive twin '' the first night sleep was intolerable because the room was so hot , I would have needed a wrench to have turned off the heat, when I went to reception the next morning I was told that so many people had said their room was freezing that the heating had been left '' full on '' but they did turn off the radiator in my room, I had ordered pink champagne for Christmas morning [ it is my treat for me, The bottle that they actually bought to me was pink vino spumanti rose' I went to reception and was told that because the pink champagne is £45 a bottle they thought I would much prefer to pay £19 ....... how dare they!!!!!!!! I knew the champagne I ordered would be over £40 that was my choice, the food during the christmas period was good except the last night where there was no choice ..... beef or beef, I dont eat meat , so I just had vegetables I certainly would not go to this hotel for another Christmas, apparently since last Christmas it has changed management, when I paid my bill I found it was made out in my friend's name.....unbelievable

Room Tip: Our room number was 117 on first floor, a great room very comfortable..........
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The hotel was clean and very comfortable, we enjoyed a room that had obviously been refurbished recently.

It's a little out of the main buzz of Chester but only a 20 minute stroll to get to all the main sights, restaurants and bars. Saying that, it's very close to the train station.

We didn't have a meal or breakfast there so can't comment on that!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Port William, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Good Food, Brilliant staff, Comfortable Rooms nothing was too much trouble, despite there being 4 coach loads in over Xmas. Many on our coach were here for the second or more times,The evening entertainment was very good and everybody made sure that our Christmas was the best we could have
(Room 209)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bolton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had travelled to Chester to do Christmas shopping on 8th Dec and the location was good

However, on arrival we were told that the restaurant and bars were not available as they had Christmas parties on. The room was very small and too hot. The radiator control was broken so we had to open a window - in Dec! When we came to get in bed after a long day shopping at 10 o'clock at night the mattress was wet and soaked upwards.No one came to have a look. WHo knows what it was!!!!We were offered another room in the sister hotel but no assistance given to get our luggage and shopping there. The staff appeared to be preoccupied with the large parties that were there and not interested in a quiet couple. Overall VERY disappointing and we wouldn't stay there again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!