“VERY disappointing.......for a Best Western Hotel.......” 3 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Westminster Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   City Road, Chester CH1 3AF, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“VERY disappointing.......for a Best Western Hotel.......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have just returned home after spending Christmas at this hotel , I was thinking of going elsewhere but my friend came to this hotel last year and said it was fantastic, she said the room last year was cramped and did not have a wardrobe so I paid an extra £80 for an '' executive twin '' the first night sleep was intolerable because the room was so hot , I would have needed a wrench to have turned off the heat, when I went to reception the next morning I was told that so many people had said their room was freezing that the heating had been left '' full on '' but they did turn off the radiator in my room, I had ordered pink champagne for Christmas morning [ it is my treat for me, The bottle that they actually bought to me was pink vino spumanti rose' I went to reception and was told that because the pink champagne is £45 a bottle they thought I would much prefer to pay £19 ....... how dare they!!!!!!!! I knew the champagne I ordered would be over £40 that was my choice, the food during the christmas period was good except the last night where there was no choice ..... beef or beef, I dont eat meat , so I just had vegetables I certainly would not go to this hotel for another Christmas, apparently since last Christmas it has changed management, when I paid my bill I found it was made out in my friend's name.....unbelievable

Room Tip: Our room number was 117 on first floor, a great room very comfortable..........
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The hotel was clean and very comfortable, we enjoyed a room that had obviously been refurbished recently.

It's a little out of the main buzz of Chester but only a 20 minute stroll to get to all the main sights, restaurants and bars. Saying that, it's very close to the train station.

We didn't have a meal or breakfast there so can't comment on that!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Port William, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Good Food, Brilliant staff, Comfortable Rooms nothing was too much trouble, despite there being 4 coach loads in over Xmas. Many on our coach were here for the second or more times,The evening entertainment was very good and everybody made sure that our Christmas was the best we could have
(Room 209)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bolton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had travelled to Chester to do Christmas shopping on 8th Dec and the location was good

However, on arrival we were told that the restaurant and bars were not available as they had Christmas parties on. The room was very small and too hot. The radiator control was broken so we had to open a window - in Dec! When we came to get in bed after a long day shopping at 10 o'clock at night the mattress was wet and soaked upwards.No one came to have a look. WHo knows what it was!!!!We were offered another room in the sister hotel but no assistance given to get our luggage and shopping there. The staff appeared to be preoccupied with the large parties that were there and not interested in a quiet couple. Overall VERY disappointing and we wouldn't stay there again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The staff were so friendly and anxious to help, and we were on a discounted Best Western package that worked out at a little over £40 each per night for dinner, bed and breakfast, so that I feel churlish this hotel. However I must report that we stayed in November in cold weather and the radiator in our room did not get sufficiently hot to enable one to relax and read other than in bed. We allegedly had an upgrade, as holders of a BW card, but while there were two armchairs chairs (in many hotels we find only one chair for two people) using one blocked entry to the bathroom door and against the other at the desk prevented access round the end of the bed – there was no room to put them anywhere else. We wondered what the other rooms were like. The beds were very comfortable, the bathroom spacious and the water very hot.
The restaurant used for dinner appeared not to be heated and was extremely cold – I suffer from Reynaud’s (my fingers go numb at low temperatures) and found the experience most unpleasant, and on one night I was so cold that my fingers shrank so much that my wedding ring, with which I usually have no problem, fell off and was nearly lost (the staff were most concerned and tried to help me find it in places I might have been after dinner). On the first night just as dinner started the only heater was removed to be lent to a guest who had complained of a cold bedroom. It did not reappear the two following nights. The menu was basically the same each night with no specials. It read as though the food had been bought in from a pub supply wholesaler and heated up, but it was alleged on the menu that it was cooked from scratch. It was very difficult to get a low fat meal from the main and dessert course. The pie which was supposed to vary was chicken the first two nights, the pastry was hard and impossible to cut with a knife and the filling was bland and tasteless gloop. The soup was the same two nights running. My husband asked for a medium steak which was served overcooked and too hard to enjoy.To be fair, on my last night in desperation I asked if the cod, which on the menu was fried in beer batter and served with chips and mushy peas, could be poached or steamed , and the chef kindly provided me with a steamed fillet of cod, new potatoes and salad – so perhaps one should ask. The sticky toffee pudding I chose in desperation one evening was very good and did seem home made. Breakfast is taken in a different room where it was warmer. The buffet supplies like sunflower marg. and juice and marmalade sachets were not regularly topped up and the fried eggs were all hard centred on all three mornings. The big bowl of scrambled egg looked so unlike what it was supposed to be that it seemed to remain untouched by guests. Bar prices were high so we patronised a nearby much cheaper place for pre-dinner drink and just had tap water at the meal.
The hotel is an excellent position near the station and the shuttle bus to the centre (which is only 10 mins. walk anyway) starts nearby. Chester was new to us and is a splendid cathedral city with lots to see (and shopping for those who want it).

Room Tip: Try asking for a larger room and inquire about the heating in cold weather.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Conwy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed in the Westminster for 1 night 24/11/2012. It is a lovely hotel and all the staff were nice and friendly. The room was clean and modern very comfortable beds, flat screen tv (no remote though). Nice and warm. Very good breakfast included. The only downside was the domestic that went on from 1am to 3am the floor above us and next to our friends room. Vile people who should have been on the Jeremy Kyle show! The noise and foul language spoiled our stay. The night porter did go and complain to them. But they were obviously too selfish to care or too intoxicated to control their behaviour.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Excellent hotel with lovely rooms. Ours was huge and spotless. The only disappointment for us was the evening meal. Last time we stayed here they had a different menu for evening meals and it was varied but this time it was *pub grub*. Burgers, hunters chicken, battered cod etc. It does say that if theres something thats not on the menu, to ask and they will try to do it for you. As we dont like batter we asked if they had salmon and were told no. So we asked for the cod to be just grilled and no batter. When it arrived it was not much bigger than a fish finger and very dry. Also we couldnt eat in the main resturaunt because they said there was a conference in there the next day (all the tables were set up ready) so we were put in a very small (cold ) room with just a couple of tables in there. Had we known this we would have eaten out. When we arrived and checked in the reception asked would we like an evening meal and we said yes thinking it would be as nice as last time and in the main resturaunt. The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and we will stay again but we would have our evening meals out because theres not much choice here. A good tip when you check in is to ask to see the menu. I was sorry we didnt do this.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are bigger and lovely.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Westminster Hotel? Share your experiences!