“Exceptional Service!” 5 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Premier Queen Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   City Road, Chester CH1 3AH, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Exceptional Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We have just returned from a stay at this hotel to celebrate my Nephew's 21st Birthday and I was compelled to share the wonderful service and stay we enjoyed. From arriving at the hotel we received a wonderful welcome, a room upgrade, the restaurant menu was varied and each dish was absolutely delicious. The hotel is beautiful and spotlessly clean and the service is better than many 5 star resorts I have stayed in. I rarely complete reviews however, after such a fantastic stay at this hotel, I wanted to share my experience. I cannot recommend the Queens Hotel enough, I will definitely stay here on my next visit to Chester.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
QueenH0tel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Premier Queen Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Citall2013,

Many thanks for your fabulous review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. Your exceptionally kind comments have been shared with all the team members, who I know will be greatly motivated by such generous feedback.

I am particularly pleased you enjoyed your dinner experience. Our Kings' Quarters Grill and Cocktail Lounge has recently been awarded 2 Rosettes by the AA and I am delighted that you found everything to your liking.

A belated, happy 21st birthday to your nephew, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Queen on your next visit to Chester.

Simon Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Can't be bettered for a business trip, walking distance to a range of great restaurants, 50 yds from the entrance of the station and some attractive and quirky rooms. Stayed there one night and thought that the service and facilities are all you could ask for.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, smile nicely at reception as the rooms do vary.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Paul H,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review following your recent stay here at the Queen.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and do hope you had a successful business trip.

I did have a little giggle regarding your tip about 'smiling sweetly at reception'! It is true that our rooms vary, and that is one of the wonderful quirks of this building. The Victorians were very much caught up in social hierarchy and therefore, the higher class you were, you larger the room you were given. Thankfully, those days are gone, and I do hope the little artistic touches we have added to all our rooms make size and aspect less important.

Thank you again - your extremely generous comments are very much appreciated.

Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed over on a 1 night deal with friends. Very impressed with staff and interior and location. Food was excellent as was the room .The only negative is the warmth of room but possibly should have requested fan .The only other fault is having to pay £15 for parking one night whereas I am sure they could reduce it to £5 as it cots £ 15 for weekend stay .I would recommend this place to others for an experience of relaxing and indulgence

Dear mark d,

It was great of you to write such a lovely review - thank you on behalf of all the team.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your recommendation to others regarding relaxation and indulgence!

The weather has been a particular 'scorcher' recently. I know we really shouldn't moan, but as a nation we are particularly good at that! The Grade II listing of this building makes the fitting of air conditioning in the old parts of the building very difficult. We do, however, offer 87 rooms with full air conditioning and digital climate control, which are available at a small upgrade charge. When booking, look out for bedrooms listed as King Executive - these are the ones.

Regarding parking, I do understand that this can be annoyance. It is, however, now a normal and necessary 'evil' in all city centres where parking spaces are at a premium. We are lucky to be the only hotel in the city centre with a large car park attached to hotel, and are attached to the main line railway station, which is a relaxing alternative to driving, and in most cases saves a few pounds.

Thank you once again for your review and I do hope you manage to take advantage of what little sun this English summer has left to offer!

Simon Williams

P.S. Good luck to Rovers this coming season!
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I stayed here for two nights on business. It was my third visit to the hotel and just as good as my previous stays. The hotel is really convenient for the station and very well maintained. All the staff are very helpful and efficient and the rooms in the Kings Wing are large, well furnished and very clean and smart. The added bonus of these is air conditioning in this hot weather! The food is excellent and I had dinner and breakfast on both days. The hotel has the air of a well loved and beautifully cared for business run by people who care about their customers. No hesitation in recommending this as a super place to stay in Chester.

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the Kings Wing. You won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Vicky H,

A sincere thanks for your great review!

I am so pleased you chose to stay with us again and had such a good experience.

Thank you for your very kind words regarding dinner and breakfast. We put a lot of thought into all meal services, and with breakfast, fully concur about it being the 'most important meal of the day'. At the last count, we offer 103 different items, and ensure that all our products are locally sourced and of the highest quality. Next time you stay, may I particularly recommend 'The King at the Queen' - this was what Elvis had for breakfast every day - toasted bloomer, thickly spread with crunchy peanut butter and topped with banana, crispy bacon and maple syrup - highly calorific, but absolutely delicious!

Thank you again, and please make yourself known to me personally next time you stay.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Three night stay with my wife to celebrate my 60th birthday. Hotel has an historic elegant feel about it with quirky, interesting decor. Location is great for the station and a ten minute walk to the main attractions, though the road is quite busy in places and there is an underpass to negotiate which was a very slight negative for us. Room was clean and spacious, though without air con was quite warm, so we made use of the desk fan provided. Booked a fantastic deal through Travelzoo for a midweek deal with breakfast and dinner included. Restaurant was stylish and the set menu very good (including the surprise birthday cake). A special mention for the very friendly wine waiter (sorry I didn't catch his name) and enchanting waitress Kasia from Poland who's charm and smile positively lights up the restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden will be quieter.
Dear Stepelin,

Thank you for taking the time out to write such a positive review

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and am pleased to see you took advantage of one of our dinner inclusive offers. Keep a look out on our website for further great deals - some of them are unbelievably good value!

We are so blessed regarding location, being so close to the walled city, but also attached to the main line railway station. A quick tip for your next visit - you don't need to use the subways at the top of City Road - instead, walk along the canal, which brings you out at the Cathedral - much more pleasant and quicker - it only takes 10 minutes.

Many thanks, once again.

Redwood City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We chose this hotel based on Rick Steves' England book, which showed that it was close to the railroad station, and because we like Best Western hotels. We were impressed with the size and quality of the room, as well as the general ambiance and historical nature of the entire hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear TWDV,

Thank you for your review - i hope you got home safe and sound to California!

I am very pleased you enjoy your experiences with Best Western Hotels. We take our tag line 'Hotels with Personality' very much to heart, and the Queen really does epitomize this in terms of character and quirkiness - so far removed from the usual, boring, city centre corporate hotels now most common in every city.

Given your loyalty to the Best Western brand, if you haven't already got a Best Western Rewards Card, may I recommend you get one. They are free and provide loyal guests with many benefits.

We do hope to see you in Chester again in the future.

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We spent two nights at the Premier Queen, booked at fairly short notice and were lucky to get in as The Open was starting at Hoylake. First impression of the hotel was a good one thanks to Richard the doorman, who always had a friendly smile and seemed to be able to answer whatever questions we threw at him!! All the staff were very friendly i.e. in Reception, Restaurant etc. Our room was a very good size and comfortable, only criticism was the fact that you could not open the windows very far and a heat wave had just started so the lack of air con was a problem, also the towel rail in the bathroom was on permanently so it was like a sauna in there and we had to keep the door shut to stop the heat coming into the room. Another time I would try to book earlier and ask for the Kings Wing which has air con. Breakfast was very good with a varied choice of cooked food, fruit, yoghurts and pastries. The Hotel is situated directly in front of the railway so a trip into Liverpool was easy and cheap!!! Doorman Richard had told us we could get a day return to Liverpool for £4.80 per person. It was only a 10/15 minute walk into the City centre where there are plenty of restaurants, shops etc. The hotel has a car park which cost us £10 per night midweek. A very good short break, I would recommend this hotel for anyone
visiting Chester/Liverpool.

Room Tip: I would pay extra and book the Kings Wing, apparently rooms are more modern and have air con which r...
Dear Southernpence,

Thank you for staying at the Queen during the Open at Hoylake.

I have passed your very kind comments on to Richard, one of our concierge, who I know will be greatly motivated by the feedback you have given. We are all here to help and I am glad that Richard was able to provide you with all the information you needed.

The train travel to Liverpool is exceptionally good value and a great reason to have a two night, two city break. The splendours of Liverpool mixed with the historic charm of Chester is a super mix with the contrasts they offer.

Warm weather, although most welcome, does bring us British and our buildings certain challenges! Although the original bedrooms in the hotel don't have air conditioning, our new King Rooms do, and are available for a small upgrade charge. I can't tell from your username which room you stayed in. If could could kindly send me a quick note with the room number, I can check the towel rail in question. Many apologies that it was so unnecessarily hot.

Thank you once again for all your feedback and we hope to see you back at the Queen on your next visit to the area.

Simon Williams

Been to BEST WESTERN Premier Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!