“4 day business trip” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Premier Queen Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   City Road, Chester CH1 3AH, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Banbury
“4 day business trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I suppose because this hotel is so close to being very good I was more disappointed than if I had stayed in a less prestigious hotel.

I was on the 6th Floor of the modern extension. The room was well appointed and clean. A couple of points. The only power point I could plug my laptop in to was on the dressing table which was the furthest point from the bed. I am sure for a lot of people that's not a problem, but I like to sit in bed doing work on my laptop and the only option I had was to sit either at the dressing table or in one of the swivel chairs. Neither of which were that comfortable to sit in over a period of time.

Because I couldn't get an internet connection in my room for the whole of my stay I used the computer available by the Business Suite. Although I really appreciated there was no charge and it was a fast connection it was in a main thoroughfare so it was quite hard to deal with confidential emails. It was also in a drafty location. Almost like it had be stuck there as an afterthought. A screened area would be better.

It was the food that I was most disappointed with. It's a disappoint more from annoyance. They clearly use good ingredients. It's what is done with it. On the Monday morning I went down to the Jubilee Room for breakfast. There was a very good selection and I decided to have the full English. Bacon had been cooked either crispy or just cooked. I prefer just cooked. I was therefore surprised to nearly all of just cooked was actual black on the edges where it had been burnt. The Black Pudding had also been over cooked and was dry. Then in the evening I had room service and ordered the Beef Burger at £14.95 + £5.00 tray charge. The burger tasted okay but again was burnt. Also they sent up with it saches of HP and Tomato sauce. But I prefer mayo and vinegar. Neither of which were provided. Next morning I tried the full English again. This time everything was well cooked. Probably a different cook was on. That evening again I had the tagliatelli. I like onion in my food. But in this it was both too much and some was undercooked. Wednesday, again the full English was good. In the evening I decided to have a bar meal in the "Waiting Room". I ordered the Giant Yorkshire pudding with sausage, mash, and savoy cabbage. It came fairly quickly but was luke warm and there was very little gravy with it and no gravy boat to give me the option to add more if I wanted it. I also ordered the cheese board. A good quantity and variety of cheese. Trouble with it was that the cheese was so cold that even the brie was as hard as the cheddar. Then this morning my final breakfast. It was busy. As I was shown to my table I asked for Tea and went to get my breakfast. When I got back to my table there was a pot waiting for me. However when I poured it, it was coffee. It took quite a while to get the attention for someone to change it and even longer to get them back with some milk for the tea.

Would I stay eat here if it was not part of the package my company was paying for? I doubt it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed in a recently renovated room which was very tastefully done and a good bathroom. The hot water was only warm though as were the 'hot' sandwiches in the bar so disappointed with these details.
Overall a nice stay though and very handy for the station which is two steps out of the front door.

Room Tip: ask for a newly renovated room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed at the Queen hotel as part of a travel zoo deal which included breakfast and dinner. The food was really good enjoyed the evening meal and buffet breakfast, We also ate in the hotel bar which was also really good. Staff really friendly and helpful. We stayed in the old part of the hotel and it could do with a bit of a re-vamp, but the room was lovely and clean and had everything we needed, Perfect location right next to the station and a pleasant 10 minute walk to the town centre. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Recently attended an All Inclusive Party Night at The Queen Hotel. Booking in was very quick and our room was situated on the second floor in The Queen. There was lots of information in our room, even a history of the hotel. Apparently, a little girl on a tricycle haunted our floor, though we never met her!

Our room was comfortable, clean and very spacious. We explored the hotel and it is a lovely hotel with lots of character and spacious courtyard, full of beautiful and interesting statues and themes. I would think that in the Spring and Summer, it is a very relaxing place to sit. There are lots to look at in the hotel - a giant chair for photo opportunities, a large red telephone box and lots of other things to look at and read about. All the staff we met were friendly. Nothing was too much trouble, even though they were busily on their way to somewhere else, they would stop and direct us to where we wanted to go. The doorman was particularly helpful.

We were part of a group that attended one of the All Inclusive Christmas Carvery Party Nights. This was very well organised. The tables were very festive and each group's tables were clearly marked as you walked in. Bucks Fizz with canapés was served to guests entering the party room. Starters were served at the table. Then, each table was called up to the carvery, so there was no "free-for-all". Our food was served to us by waiters at each point of the carvery, so no fingers in the food! You could go back for more, if you wanted. Dessert was served in the same way as the carvery with a different waiter serving each dessert. Lots of choices for dessert. A bit of everything, if you had the room! The food was excellent and the serving staff were cheery and unflustered. During the dinner service, waiters served red, white and rose wine and bottled beer.

After dinner, there was a disco and free drinks until midnight. The staff all worked extremely hard and were friendly, happy and joined in the party spirit. No queues at the bar and it was very efficiently run. The whole atmosphere was about fun and there were a couple of quizzes and party games which were very entertaining. The disco was good and all enjoyed themselves.

The next morning we made our way to breakfast and were offered Bucks Fizz as we entered the dining room. We were then seated and made to feel very welcome by a gentleman with impeccable manners. He asked our requirements for coffee and tea and beckoned a waiter to bring our drinks. The dining room was busy, but we never had to wait for anything we asked for. The breakfast was a buffet breakfast, with all the usual breakfast items and a few more. There were boiled, scrambled, poached, fried eggs. These all looked freshly cooked and all the food was good quality. You could also order omelettes, steak and eggs, haddock, kippers etc. These items were cooked to order and brought to the table. We had a very relaxing breakfast. Tables were cleared quickly and reset before any guests were shown to them. We all felt the service and quality of the food was excellent.

Check out was quick and efficient and we wished we had booked another night at the hotel, even though we lived locally.

There were one or two things which did disappoint but the service and attitude of the staff more made up for any negatives. The water to the shower in our room was only just warm but the bath water was lovely and hot!. I suppose in the older part of the hotel, things are not as modern and efficient as the new King part of the hotel. To be honest, we didn't complain at the time, but I think any problem would have been resolved, had we brought it to the hotel's attention. We did point it out on check out and a note was made to attend to it.

We also found the prices of the drinks in the lounge bar were very expensive. The car park also comes in at £15 per night on a weekend, which is a bit steep, when you are staying as a guest. On a positive note, though, you can park up as soon as you arrive in the morning and you don't have to move your car on check out which means you can walk into town or get a bus up to town and pick your car up later. The walk into town takes about 10 minutes.

We loved this hotel and all the staff seemed to go the extra mile to ensure guests were happy. Staff were obviously well-trained in customer care and seemed genuinely keen to ensure a pleasant stay for their guests.

Would definitely return and would stay in another Best Western, if that is the benchmark of their standard of service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Room small but lovely, warm, comfortable and clean, bathroom compact but holds everything needed. First night lovely concierge as per previous reviews offered loads of help without being over top.
Breakfast was faultless, even to point of offering Buck's Fizz for waiting guests. However after coming back from days shopping to use fitness suite found equipment faulty badly maintained and no way of contacting reception, mentioned all this to reception to be Informed that they were aware and we should of been told what to expect . All showered we ventured to kings grill and cocktail bar to sit enjoy cocktails then be ignored by maitre'd when my wife asked where toilet was! quickly realised that unless you were a table of more than 4 you would quickly be ignored and literally have to shout to get the bill. Bad service and bad facilities have let hotel down and that comes from a couple that NEVER complain !!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We went for a mid week break with our son & his girlfriend. As soon as we arrived we were upgraded to superior rooms. The rooms were clean & spacious with all mod cons. We ate in the restaurant both nights and we thoroughly enjoyed it. This hotel is in walking distance of chester.chester is a lovely city.

Room Tip: Traditional rooms are in the main hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Premier Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!