“Totally fabulous.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Shrewsbury
“Totally fabulous.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

I have just had the most enjoyable stay at Rowton Hall. We arrived to a very warm welcome and shown to beautifully decorated large rooms. The bathrooms were modern and the rooms were spotless. That evening we enjoyed pre-dinner drinks and dinner in the restaurant - which was delicious. The menu was varied and I found it hard to make a choice. The following day we enjoyed a day of pampering making full use of the facilities and enjoying treatments in the spa. During the whole stay the staff couldn't do enough for us, they were helpful, attentive and always with a smile. I would not hesitate in recommending a stay at Rowton - first class in everyway... :)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

I have just returned from a two night stay at this gorgeous hotel and i am looking forward to booking my next getaway there already.
What a tranquil place. My partner and I stayed there for 2 nights last week and loved every second of it.
Greeted by a young enthusiastic male, it was the warm welcome that you always expect but never really experience (until now!).
As we were arriving fairly late in the night they had made sure that there was a table for us in the dining room. This personal touch was greatly appreciated as sometimes hotels neglect the fact that you may have not eaten. The dining room had an elegant, traditional but at the same time quirky interior and as I sat across the table from my boyfriend he said 'I'm so pleased we came.'
The next morning was a lazy start and we opted for breakfast in bed. With the pateo doors open and a fresh coffee in my hand looking out onto the peaceful gradens, I thought I could really get used to this. Whilst my partner devoured a hearty full breakfast (perhaps the most unromantic image of our time away) I looked through the trusty hotel file and browsed through the numerous spa treatments I wanted to explore.
I wanted to ensure I left feeling completely destressed so I had already booked for a facial and hot stones massage, but as any good brochure does I began to believe that I needed every other treatment avaliable.
The Spa was glorious, a relaxation room inbetween treatments, meant I could catch up on my celebrity gossip (magazines up to date, not half a century old) whilst sipping on green tea.
When meeting my partner for lunch I was completely rested, whilst he was what only can be describe as the colour of a beetroot after a gym session. We both obviously have completely different ideas on how to relive stress. I even managed to squeeze in a pedicure and manicure after lunch... how convenient!!
Intially our plan was to explore Chester, but after we had a walk around the gardens and a late afternoon gin and tonic, we found ourselves having an unusally productive day doing very little.
In the evening we sat down to a busy restaurant with a great atmosphere. The waitress was knowledgeable about the menu and recommended a superb wine to compliement it. As we enjoyed every bite of our starter, main and dinner, we came to realise that we were leaving that following morning and how disappointing that prospect was.
Waking the next morning we headed to breakfast and stocked up on all the little luxuries before the dreaded drive back to London.
As we drove away from the this real gem we both agreed it was just what we needed.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
North West England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Stayed here for one night in a junior suite - the (four poster) bedroom and bathroom were large and tastefully decorated. The ambience of the hotel was relaxed and welcoming - nice spa facilities too. A tasty breakfast finished the stay off and the whole experience was a very positive one. Some guests have mentioned the quality of the cheaper rooms - I'd say that if you were booking a romantic weekend then maybe spend a little extra on a junior suite.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

I booked this hotel for it's apparent prestige and convenience as the hotel my friends were getting married in. There are two classes of room, those dated 1990's and those from 2005 onwards. The dated rooms felt cozy but the beds were clearly separate as I could feel the ridge and they had an old 15" tube TV, no fridge or ironing board but loads of storage space, not that most people use 2 cupboards and 10 drawers. The more modern rooms from what I saw were airier and had 30" flat screen TV's mounted on the wall but appropriately less storage. The buffet was ok; filling, and the residents 24 hour bar is useful. The spa looked brand new and well designed.

The hotel was ok but lacked the edge, the breakfast service was slow at clearing, some receptionists couldn't help with anything including directions The wedding catering was standard roasts, not to the organisers adjusted specifications and it just seemed a little panicked and disorganised.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
stockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We stayed in one of the suites which was superb! The staff are very friendly and we had a good breakfast. As it was new years eve we ate in the entertaining room. Dont miss the fireworks at midnight!

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
cardiff
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Chose this hotel for a romantic weekend with hubby after reading reviews on TA . Ok - we booked just the day before but.....
I asked for a twin room with bath and was given a double room with shower. When I complained, the receptionist said she`d give us a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite. I swapped the keys and went to our new room where a maid was grumbling as she turned the double bed into two twins. This room was a better size and had a fabulous bathroom but no fridge.
Dinner was very disappointing. The hotel is supposed to have two rosettes and I know from experience that this can mean a small menu. But you can only get away with a small menu if the food is superb. There were only four choices for each course and everything we chose was ok, but for two rosettes, that`s just not good enough.
There were only four other diners in the restaurant and they left pretty early. The only atmosphere was provided by the noisy wedding disco down the corridor.
Slept terribly that night due to noisy guests next door (obviously not the hotel`s fault) but the walls were so thin I could hear every word. It was also uncomfortably hot in the room even tho` it wasn`t a particularly hot night. Air conditioning please.
We were so disappointed that we checked out the next morning and went to Lion Quays just outside Oswestry. (fantastic - see my review on that one!)
I`ve written lots of reviews on other hotels and am generally pretty positive. This place may be ok for large groups of people but not for a romantic twosome.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a family wedding and I couldn't have been more impressed with the staff's helpful and friendly attitudes. They couldn't have done more to help us and I think our group were very demanding and required a lot of looking after. As a Hotel Manager and Wedding Planner myself, I know how hard all the staff worked (particularly the Event Organiser) and I cannot commend them highly enough. Over the weekend it would appear that at least four weddings took place and each one seemed to go smoothly, professionally and if there were any disasters involved noone would ever have known. Superb for children and families and a wonderful location. I couldn't recommend it enough!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Rowton Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!