“Perfect for our Hen Weekend!” 5 of 5 stars

The Commercial Bar & Hotel
Northgate Street | St Peters Courtyard, Chester CH1 2HG, England   |
Ranked #14 of 44 hotels in Chester
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Perfect for our Hen Weekend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

What a lovely little hotel. Due to a previous negative experience I had in a small hotel like this, I was a bit nervous upon booking. However, I have nothing but good words to say about them. From booking until we departed, everyone was wonderful. I was part of a one-night hen do and it was really special for all of us. The rooms were really well decorated and the Byron Suite where I stayed was amazing. I only wish we were able to stay more than one night! The only complaint I heard from the ladies was that the rooms were a bit dark/not well lit.

We were made aware in advance of the loud disco so that was not a surprise. What was a surprise was that it was the most happening place in Chester! We went to Revolution which was pretty dead that night and thought we'd head back to our hotel to see how the scene there was. It was really hopping- every bar filled and great music/vibe. I didn't personally make it to breakfast the next morning but the ladies who did said the food was great.

I would also recommend the cocktail making class if you are looking for something fun to do with a group. We had a blast and the bartender was great! Perfect venue/hotel for a small hen party like ours. The access doors to upstairs rooms were locked so we felt safe and we were well looked after. I'm already looking at booking to return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Wow, thank you for such a great review and I'm so glad you managed to squeeze in so many activities during your stay in Chester.
The cocktail barman said he had a really good master class with you all so it's nice to hear it was a great start to your night out. As you know, our cocktail bar takes on a real house party feel in the evenings with our DJ's so thank you for coming back and enjoying the night with us - especially when you can just go upstairs to bed and not have to tackle this wintry weather and taxi queue!
Please do not hesitate to contact us again for your next weekend away.
Kindest regards Rebecca

192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
berks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for the night at commercial. The staff were exceptionally helpfull. The owner Rebecca should be proud of all her staff and what she has achieved. A stunning olde worlde beautiful hotel with 5 star rooms that are beautifully decorated. The bed we had was A1 for comfort. We stayed in wordsworth and I can highly recommend to anybody looking for a comfortable and welcoming break . Breakfast was yummy.

• Stayed November 2013
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guests, thank you for your lovely review.
I am very proud of all my staff and it's great for me to hear that their service was recognised, I will pass on your comments on to the bar staff and breakfast chef.
The rooms I feel are well presented and all beds carry a Tempur mattress for comfort.
Thank you for choosing The Commercial for your stay and we look forward to accommodating you another time.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We've just come back from a few days' stay at the commercial. We stayed in the Byron suite with our three children. It was fantastic as the children could stay in the lounge, which was a separate room, so we had our own bedroom.

The location was perfect, right in the town centre, and the staff were so welcoming it felt like home. The room and bathroom were very clean, the bath and shower were huge. It's a perfect base for a family.

We stayed from Sunday to Tuesday night - there is a bar under the room which is open on fri and Saturday nights so it would not be good for a family to stay then. But on other days I would recommend the hotel as a great base for a stay in chester.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Naomi, Thank you for taking time out to write your review.
It was lovely to have you and your family stay with us and have the time to experience Chester and the many wonderful attractions we have to offer.
The Byron suite is ideal for families and I trust you andyours will stay again on your next visit to the area.
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed for one night on the 12th October with my husband as a 'treat' from work. It had been my birthday earlier in the week so the 'night away' was planned to coincide with this. On arrival the staff could not be more helpful and the very lovely Charlotte took us up to our room. We stayed in the Byron Suite which I can only describe as 'wow'. The bathroom is amazing and the whole suite is stunning. We were meeting family for drinks during the day and into the early evening and then out for a meal later on. On arrival back at the hotel and following a couple of drinks we made our way back to our room and although the noise from the courtyard and early morning party people could be heard it by no way spoilt my sleep (which probably had something to do with the very comfy bed and not the copius amounts of alcohol I had consumed). The following morning we made our way down for breakfast (lovely) and again Charlotte was there to look after us (She is a star although all the staff seemed extremely helpful). The hotel is in a great location and definately worth a return visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review.
I'm so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay for your birthday celebrations and the staff were attentive. I will certainly pass your comments onto Charlotte.
The Byron Suite is a lovely room and I'm happy to know that the facilities were "wow" as you describe.
I trust we will see you again and look forward to your next visit.
Kindest regards Rebecca
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I've been staying at the Commercial for 3 years now - we descend on Chester every October in a group of about 20 blokes selling tools and everybody wants to be on the short list that can stay here. Sadly there's only five rooms so there's many disapointed faces.

The nightlife at the Commercial is fantastic, from Drum and Bass nights to Comedy - this week there was even an acoustic rendition of Blackstreet's "No Diggity". You probably won't want to leave the hotel, but if you do then you're in luck as it's right in the centre of the action. Town House (Lounge Bar) and Tropiero (Brazillian Restaurant) are only a short walk away.

Down-sides:-
No immediate parking but well worth a short walk.
Up-sides:-
Don't expect to get to sleep before 1pm!

Keep up the good work and see you all next year.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for Byron - Although the Wi-Fi doesn't reach there the creature comforts are brill...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Joe, thank you for taking time to write your review - it's only taken 3 years ha ha!
It was a pleasure as always to accommodate you and your colleagues once again and we look forward to your next visit.
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

After a very professional and friendly booking meeting with the manageress earlier in the month, we were delighted with the outcome of our Hen Party evening on the 28th September 2013. Being aware that it was a races weekend and things would be very busy the staff at The Commercial pulled out all the stops to make sure our evening was what we ordered and more...........a great end to our day at The Races!!! Thank you so much to everybody who was involved, especially our very patient 'minion' (her choice of title). She worked so hard to make the evening a success.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Sue, thank you for your review.
It's lovely to hear that you and the girls enjoyed your day and that you all had a great day in Chester. Although it was a very busy day for us, I'm glad to know that The Commercial were part of a very special occasion for you, your friends and family.
I will pass on your well wishes to Hannah - The Minion! and I hope that will see you all again soon.
Chester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

One of the better bars in Chester, but when it's nearest competition is The Victoria, Amber Lounge and Rosies this isn't saying too much! Chester is overpriced, everyone knows that, and things are no different here. Beer selection is good, however it's not uncommon for ales to be kept beyond their best which is reflected in the taste. I suppose the average customer here isn't that bothered with real ale, but if it's offered it should really be in good nick. This being said, a good night is usually guaranteed here. The music selection is good, aside from some questionable mixing from the DJs but at 1 in the morning no one's that bothered. Door staff can be objectionable at times but are usually reasonable. All in all I would recommend it to those after a good night out, but in my opinion is a few steps behind the quality of places like Telford's Warehouse, Alexanders, Church or The Cellar.

What does annoy me is the manageress' compulsive need to reply to certain negative comments by saying 'we're one of the busiest bars in Chester' and 'there's no pleasing everyone'. What's the point? She's obviously very proud of the bar, but comments like these are a little childish.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear reviewer. Although your review if full of back handed comments I will take this as a positive. Thank you for making The Commercial your very first review. Best wishes Rebecca

Been to The Commercial Bar & Hotel? Share your experiences!