“Great location, lovely rooms and very helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars

The Commercial Bar & Hotel
Northgate Street | St Peters Courtyard, Chester CH1 2HG, England   |
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great location, lovely rooms and very helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely, informal hotel located in a unique position in the centre of Chester. The room was spotless and spacious. Hannah is a credit to the hotel; she made us extremely welcome and worked tremendously hard. We knew about the noise from the courtyard and bar as the hotel had the courtesy to phone in advance to explain and give us the chance to cancel. However, we joined in with the party atmosphere and still slept well! Would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and took time to write. I have passed your praise onto Hannah and the housekeeping staff.
I hope the next time you are in Chester The Commercial will be considered again.
Kindest regards Rebecca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed last night, hotel had charm as well as an event going on. it is in tge heart of Chester which is a beautiful City. I am biased as I used to go to the college back in 1988! The staff were excellent especially the lovely Rebecca. Nothing was too much trouble and I would go back there again. Corporate it is not but charming and location and staff wise excellent. Give it a try!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear David, thank you so much for taking time to write your review.
I trust your business trip was successful and we look forward to accommodating you again on your next visit. 2nd floor room next time though!
Best wishes Rebecca
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had booked a function room and buffet at the Commercial for a 40 years reunion for ex-students from Chester University on a Saturday evening. Initially we only thought that about 15 to 20 max would be attending, however 3 days before the reunion, this number had risen to about 30. I spoke to Rebecca (manager) and she reserved a second room just for our party - despite having 2 other parties in the hotel that evening. By the Saturday morning our number had risen to 35, so we arranged to supply additional food for the evening which Rebecca served (at no extra cost). On the evening itself everything worked perfectly and all the guests commented on how good the evening went. The staff were also very friendly and efficient and exhibited a real team spirit. We would certainly recommend this hotel and will use it for subsequent events eg next year. Thank you to Rebecca and team.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear David, thank you for your review which was totally unexpected.
Apart from being a hotel as the name suggests, we are so much more..... and catering for events such as yours is one of those things.
You certainly caught us on a busy night which, along with your party, the staff enjoyed too.
I'm really glad we were able to accommodate you and your guests and look forward to your next event.
Kindest regards Rebecca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my birthday in the Bryon suite. It was a lovely surprise as the suite was perfect with an amazing bathroom which had a rolltop bath and his and her sinks. The sitting room had a large ornate fireplace and was perfect for relaxing in after a long days shopping. The hotel is right in the centre of the city which is great in the evening, as no need for a taxi anyway, all restaurants and bars are in walking distance from the hotel. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, I can't recommend this hotel enough for a perfect stay in Chester.

• Stayed September 2013
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Paul, thank you for such a great review.
It's so nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and everything was satisfactory. The Byron Suite is a lovely room and we are very lucky to be so central for shopping and restaurants.
I will pass on your comments regarding the staff and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Kindest regards
Rebecca
Birmingham UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

The rooms in the hotel are one of the best I've stayed in, exceptional clean rooms, bathrooms are large and again spotlessly clean. They are furnished to a high standard. The staff are so friendly and helpful and make you feel welcome. Breakfast was great and of good quality we had the full English which I can highly reconmmend.

Yes there is noise, we took ear plugs which seemed to do the trick, but its in the centre of town, near to the race course & bars so you have to expect some noise, so it didn't bother us, the staff are a credit to the hotel a big thank you for a pleasant stay and we would stay with you again

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review.
Its great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you came prepared for the noise with your earplugs! I will pass on your comments to the staff, they are a credit and we all look forward to your next visit.
Kind regards, Rebecca
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Not going to go in to too much detail as I would go on for a long time. To be fair we were warned that it was going to be a noisy night but OMG nothing could have prepared us for it! Perhaps if you were young and part of the partying it would be ok but if not avoid at all costs. The greeting when we arrived was none descript. The reception was someone behind the bar. We got shown to our room which was again-ok. It was boiling hot and the only means of cooling the room down was a blowy thing that really had little inpact. The bathroom was nice enough but really thats all i can say about the accommodation.
Breakfast again was a bit odd. After we had made our way past the kids cleaning and hoovering we were sat in the room were all the dancing had been the previous night. Breakfast was again- ok. Very little choice. We had to ask for extra milk as they had run out of larger jugs (there were only 3 people having breakfast!!!) All in all a very disappointing visit and one not to recommend especially at £129 per night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Paul and Barbara thank you for taking time to write a review.
I find it very difficult sometimes to reply to reviews like yours as it will appear that I am making excuses for each of your comments, I am in fact explaining the whys and wherefores to each point.
Before your arrival my PA Angela spoke to your daughter following her laterooms reservation and with yourself on the Friday regarding parking and the live music event in our courtyard and the DJ's who entertain our customers every weekend. We make this call to all our weekend guests to give them the option to book alternative accommodation if they are not aware or happy with the entertainment we provide. I believe you did not see this as a problem at the time and confirmed your reservation. We arranged a room on the top floor of the hotel to lessen the impact of noise from our bars.
We are a small 5 bedroom hotel with no area for a reservation desk hence using our bar for check in and departures. The blowy thing in your room is in fact a fully functioning air conditioning machine that works works perfectly well and we have not had any complaints on warmer days this summer. If you felt that it was not working to your satisfaction one of the members of staff would have been more than happy to help you if you had asked for assistance.
We do not use kids to clean our hotel, one of my housekeepers had been let down by a babysitter and asked me if it would be ok for her daughter to help her that day. Rather than have no housekeeper to clean the bars and prepare the rooms I agreed to her request. These things happen and rather than seeing it as a problem I like to think we found a solution.
I'm not sure what you mean by the breakfast being odd. It was not on the dance floor but in our main bar which has always been used for breakfast and afternoon tea throughout the day.
The choice is cereals and a full English breakfast, tea/coffee and juices. When we first opened we offered a wider choice including yoghurt and fresh fruits and pastries but not everyone requested these items and I found myself throwing a lot of food away. During the week we have a lot of business travellers who leave early and do not take advantage of breakfast at all. I would rather all our food be prepared fresh and not frozen to avoid wastage.
I do not know if you are happy with my answers to your comments but when you have been made aware of the kind of hotel The Commercial is before arrival and then feel the need to write a derogatory review based on this information I really don't think anything I say would be satisfactory.
Best regards Rebecca
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed in this hotel last year and the year before (only now got to write a review..sorry) as a single night on both occasions.We like it because its right in the heart of chester, its a bit quirky (as it has bespoke rooms) and has a nice charm. With the location comes the sounds of the night and at this hotel dancing to the early hours & drinking cocktails is the norm. Luckily your rooms are way above the bar, and although you can still hear any revellers,(especially summer when your windows are open) by midnight its all wrapped up (plus if you've gone there to live it up then thats what you get). So spot on for location, great to have a boogy at the hotel and a mooch around chester.
Downside, we thought the bathroom we had needed a little more care over the cleaning. As fab as they are, if you dont clean that yuk off the tiles your going to go down hill. The breakfast was a bit oily and not the best quality. Also the tables at breakfast could have don ewith a wipe over. Other than that......GREAT!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rebecca_DaviesGM, General Manager at The Commercial Bar & Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Richard, thank you for your review, better later than never.
I always feel that we are doing a good job when guests like yourselves return to stay with us. I'm glad you pointed out the negative points of your stay too as this gives me chance to correct any oversights. I must admit we've always had a problem with the shower grout discolouring, I have the same problem in my flat on the top floor too and over the years it's been easier for us re-grout and re-seal with new.
Thank you once again and I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.
Kind regards
Rebecca

Been to The Commercial Bar & Hotel? Share your experiences!