“Expectations unfulfilled” 3 of 5 stars

01244 404000
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Hickory's Smokehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 390 Restaurants in Chester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Nearest bus stop 300 yards
Description: Hickory’s Smokehouse is Chester’s authentic American BBQ. Here you can enjoy a traditional style of cooking that has its roots in the US, but that we think deserves to be just as popular over here. Our menu offers two styles of BBQ. The southern-style ‘Smoker’ BBQ uses slow, wood-fired cooking in our specially imported American smoker oven. The northern-style ‘Yankee’ BBQ is cooked over sizzling hot coals. Both styles create unbelievably tender, delicious meat and fish.
Cheshire, England
“Expectations unfulfilled”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My sons have visited this place and spoke highly of the food, so we went expecting a good experience too. The welcome was warm and we were seated outside under a shady tree with a good view of the river Dee. We ordered the Big Pig sandwich and the St Louis sandwich which duly arrived and I was underwhelmed. My pulled pork was a gloopy mass of shredded pork swimming in a gravy and not how I imagined it would be. It tasted ok but I did not like the brioche type roll that it was served on. The fries were tasteless. The St Louis sandwich comprised of a slice of slow cooked beef also enveloped in a gravy served on the same type of roll while the fries were hotter than my serving. The food was served on a plastic tray covered with a paper liner and this too was a bad idea. The coleslaw and gravy was absorbed by the paper lining so you had to eat carefully otherwise you might have eaten some paper. I was really disappointed as I was hoping that this establishment might have become a favourite.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Very good, book in advance if possible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This lace was heaving on the Saturday lunchtime we visited and we were told that there might be up to a half hour wait for a table. We were seated within ten minutes and had a lovely meal. Very nice, but don't expect to still have room for pudding!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wirral, England
“Pretentious”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Visited Hickorys this afternoon, a blazing hot day. Met at the entrance to be told there was a 30 minute wait for a table for 2, despite there being at least 5 tables empty. We were told to wait at the bar, so we did, in the incredible heat. After 10 mins and a quick scan of the menu we decided not to eat there after all - limited choice, nothing for lighter appetites but I imagine more suited to evening dining. We then noticed a door leading to the riverside terrace but there was a sign stating that area was for "members only" - however, we still asked if we could go onto the terrace but we were told, rather snootily by the barman that it was strictly for members. Since getting home I've looked on their website where it boasts about the riverside terrace yet nowhere does it state that you cannot use it unless you are a "member", and more to the point, there is no mention on the website about any exclusive membership club either. I noticed the food was served in red plastic baskets and some drinks were being served in jam jars - presumably the crockery is also for members only?!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bangor NI
“Good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Nice location friendly staff and the food is plentiful , hot and tasty. Ribs were excellent . Would like to see more variety on the menu

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lichfield
“Really different, loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Had a lovely lunch here whilst on a short break in Chester. I had looked at all the restaurant reviews and liked the sound of this place. I found it by accident whilst walking round the walls and down to the river.

This would be a fab place to go on a hot evening and sit outside. The weather was good whilst we were there and we sat and ate outside. My only issue with this though is that if you do choose to eat outside, they don't give you plates. They give you a plastic basket lined with some paper. I'm not sure what the purpose of this is other than to not break any plates but it was a bit of a nuisance to be honest.

That aside, the food was fantastic. Had burnt ends as a side to share and I had a cajun chicken burger. My other half had a Memphis burger. Fries and coleslaw were included but I chose to have salad instead of the slaw.

For drinks we had some of their milkshakes and I can highly recommend these. They were fab.

It was easy to get a table and get served for lunch but I believe this place gets busy in the evening and I can see why. I really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere coupled with the really really tasty food. I felt the food was good value for money and the restaurant is in a nice location overlooking the River Dee. When I am next in Chester I will definitely book to visit this place one evening as I really loved it here.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere