“Terrible service - Average food - Poor atmosphere for the occasion” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Marco Pierre White Steakhouse Bar & Grill

Improve this listing
Ranked #182 of 411 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: In the stylish surroundings of the luxurious Doubletree by Hilton Hotel in Chester, Marco Pierre White's Steakhouse Bar and Grill is the perfect venue for any occasion, with a lively atmosphere, exquisite food and delicious cocktails for you to enjoy. As the first British Chef to be awarded 3 Michelin Stars and the youngest Chef in the world to receive them, Marco Pierre White is a name synonymous with a great dining experience. With the ability to cater for private parties of up to 100 people, Marco Pierre White's Steakhouse Bar and Grill in Chester serves everything you would expect to see on a typical steakhouse menu, prepared with the superior quality that Marco Pierre White is renowned for. Each dish is prepared by a dedicated and highly skilled kitchen team, working with the finest and carefully selected ingredients to create simple yet succulent cuisine. Alongside the finest quality locally sourced steaks, the menu features Grilled and Roast Meats, Fish Mainboards and classic English puddings. Furthermore, the wine and champagne lists have been specially sourced to harmonise with the menu. Choose from a selection of good house wines and champagnes, or an enviable collection of reserves for those wanting to splash out.
“Terrible service - Average food - Poor atmosphere for the occasion”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We went here for our 2 year anniversary as what we thought would be a special occasion however we found it anything but this. The service was extremely poor. The blonde waitress that served us was pushing every extra cost that she could (bottled water - more expensive wines - more side dishes etc-) and wouldn’t back down. She gave the impression I was cheap for not taking this. To us this ruined the night to begin with. We took the set meal. The starters were average at best and a little old fashioned - the crayfish cocktail and the ham hock terrine. The steak main we both had was okay but the sauce was a bit gravyish and didn't contain peppercorns as advertised! We felt very formal and there was lack of atmosphere. We felt this was overpriced for what we got and know you can experience a more special night for a lot less cost in Chester. If I was Marco Pierre White I'd be embarrassed to put my name to this restaurant. I know this is only our experience but we were just disappointed with every aspect we encountered!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Good, but not exceptional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We went to the restaurant as a group of ten females, having spent the day in the hotel spa. We ate from the menu giving three courses for £21.50. Great value considering the prices of the normal menu. We were all very happy with the food. We were put in the "private dining room" which in reality was little more than a draughty corridor with drapes. I assume this was so we didn't disturb the more discerning diner if we were a little noisy (which we weren't!).
Alcohol very expensive as you would expect - over £8 for a large glass of wine.
Service good without being exceptional.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Visited with a friend as a special treat. Staff were pleasant but service was very slow. I was seated in an area which had a cold draught so had to ask to move. Food was ok but not worth the price (the wine @ £20 a bottle was horrible). A few other people were complaining which made us feel even more uncomfortable. Would not recommend.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Food nice - Service let it down”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I found the service to be slow with no staff visible at times. I suppose we got seated after 9.30pm (after a long business day) and they're supposed to close at 10pm so that may have been a contributing factor. There was ample opportunity to have taken our food order in the bar area fist to sped things up a bit, then show us to our table when the food was ready. Instead the waiter brought us drinks in the bar area and showed us to our table. Cunningly, the waiter recommended a white wine to my colleague but failed to tell him it was £16.95 per 175ml glass - oh dear, there was nearly tears! There's one rather imposing photo of MPW which sticks in my mind, displayed on the wall in the main restaurant area - he's got his eyes closed (?) All a bit pompous and pretentious for my liking and pretty obviously vain vain of the guy. His own brand cider was quite sharp and quenching at £5 per bottle. It was too late for steak, though I would try it if I stayed in the hotel again. The fish pie I had was tasty and filling with plenty of fish and prawns. Others enjoyed their dishes too. We weren't asked if we wanted cheese or desserts (we didn't, but it's nice to be asked). I'd probably give them another change - there's one in my home town, so I may treat the other half : )

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“A beautiful restaurant, great service, amazing atmosphere & wonderful food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

My partner is a chef so I arranged to go to the MPW restaurant as a birthday surprise. We had high expectations and the restaurant did not dissapoint. Service was very friendly and professional. Gorgeous restaurant with a lovely relaxing ambience. Food was delicious and considering you are paying for the name very good value for money. Perfectly sized starters that left us wanting more then we both had the T-bone steak which was cooked to perfection. Also sides are only priced at £3 which is cheaper than most restaurants, portions aren't huge but just right. We were too full for dessert despite lots of delicious options. Cocktails were pricey at £10 so we did not indulgence in lots of cocktails as it would have seriously added to the bill. Great restaurant to go for a special celebratory night out will defintley be going again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere