“Lovely hotel, nice rooms and food, great service” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Grosvenor Road, Chester CH1 2DJ, England   |
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Chester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, nice rooms and food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed here on business, it's a lovely hotel, rooms are very comfortable, lovely bathrooms, very comfy beds, nice decor in rooms and public areas. I ate in the restaurant, the food was lovely, and staff were very attentive, puddings are huge! If you feel the cold take a cardigan with you to the restaurants as they tend to have air con on, it's a bit cool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had three rooms booked here for a family trip this weekend - however, plans changed, and because our room was non-refunable, we decided to make use of it anyways. I'm glad we did. The hotel is really pleasant - comfortable, modern, parking was simple (although we were told they had loads of spaces - there was 1 when we arrived pre-check-in time!).
We were given an enormous room facing into the complex (a circular building) which was really pleasant - however - my wife has bat ears - and as we were next to the lift, she could hear the mechanics. We rang down to reception, and as they didn't have any rooms left at our grade - we opted to pay the extra £10 to move to a slightly better room away from the lift. I'm glad we did - we had a really peaceful nights sleep! The rooms are great - clean, modern, fluffy towels, great water (bad water in bathrooms drives me nuts - having to wait for hot water).

We went up to the champagne bar on the 5th floor for cocktails before choosing to eat in the grill downstairs. The cocktails were beautiful - as was the food.

We were able to borrow a phone charger from reception, and also a dvd to watch in our room.

I really liked this hotel - and I would stay there again definitely. Staff had really relaxed attitudes - and even though the 5th floor bar and restaurant were very classy (and filled with very well groomed people) there was no problem with people enjoying the facilities without a dress code.

Highly reccommended. Will be back!

State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Overall, excellent, as we had a B&B arrangement and got to use our free night toward the cost. The bed was extremely comfortable. Breakfast was excellent although the cooked part was not as generous as some (my husband thought it was skimpy). I also especially appreciated the availability of a down/feather pillow and loved the fragrant soap. One caveat: for those who must use a CPAP machine--there was no power outlet near either side of the bed; only one across the room on the opposite wall. We asked for an extension cord, however the hotel did not have one (or else the person on duty that night couldn't find it). Consequently, my husband got almost no sleep. So I would urge the hotel to do something positive about this--at least buy a couple of long extension chords. We did receive a good recommendation for dinner elsewhere (as we couldn't have dinner at their restaurant due to time constraints) from the reception guy--Upstairs at the Grill (in the Guildhall). Also, I appreciated the reception girl's help with clear tape to fix my broken sandal until I could get to a shoe store. They called taxis for us and took good care of our luggage during the day we checked out. During the day time, in general they were very helpful, but at night, it took several requests to obtain the pillow and a couple of other things. Location is not bad, especially if you just walk across the street and up a block to Lower Bridge Street, where the shops begin.

Room Tip: Per other reviews, don't choose a room on the 4th floor as that floor is immediately under the k...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

we stayed here for our sons 21st birthday and we loved it, the location is ideal, looking over the racecourse, only a five minute walk into the centre so quiet in the evening, the rooms were lovely and quiet, immaculately clean and the staff lovely, cant wait to come back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We spent 5 days at the Abode in Chester, England and had a fabulous time! The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to the restaurants, shops, the Chester Cathedral, the Roman Walls and Gardens, museums and other interesting places to see in Chester. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful as well as responsive to our needs. Our room was very clean and comfortable. When it rained and we chose to sleep in, it was absolutely quiet. There is a local supermarket within walking distance to purchase food items, bottled water and snacks. The hotel has a wonderful restaurant on the top floor serving gourmet dishes. Although it was a bit pricy, it was worth it! The food was absolutely delicious! I highly recommend to try it at least once. The waiters and restaurant staff definitely treated us like royalty and my 13 yr old daughter enjoyed every minute of it. Make sure to step out to the restaurant balcony to check out the magnificent view of Chester. If and when I do go back to Chester again, I will definitely stay at the Abode.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor and we were happy with it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Phoned the hotel direct to book a room for 1 night away from the kids for me and my partner to celebrate my birthday. I was asked on the phone if there was a special occasion and I duly told them the reason for our visit. The staff were very friendly and welcoming when we arrived and on getting to our room I the receptionist arrived with a birthday card and we were told that they had upgraded us to an enviable room. The room was clean, modern and fantastic luxury with a wonderful roomy bed. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, all the staff were so friendly and helpful, the champagne bar was stunning as was the cooked breakfast in the restaurant. The races were on but in complete contrast to the hustle and bustle outside the hotel was an oasis of calmness and relaxation. Great parking facilities also. We can't wait for our next visit.

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Recently I was fortunate enough to attend a champagne evening at the Abode Chester.

First of all this was my first time at such an event and also the same for my partner, I can honestly say from the moment we entered the hotel we were looked after, on entering the champagne bar and dining area we were greeted with a glass of champagne and canapés which were delightful, we then proceeded into the dining area which was not only set out beautifully but had a fantastic views over Chester Racecourse and Chester its self which was made even better when watching the sun set.

We were then ready to start the five course meal with matched champagnes ( perrier jouet ), before each course the food was announced by the chef and representative from the champagne house also gave a description of the wine we were about to drink and some interesting facts about the company but in no way boring or scripted.

Overall the evening was fantastic and this was down to the hotel, views, service and the atmosphere that had been created by the staff and hotel, I would certainly recommend this experience and other events to anyone even if you have not done such an evening before.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Abode Chester? Share your experiences!