“Don't Have the Vegetarian option” 2 of 5 stars

01244 678 400
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ship Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #246 of 411 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: British
New Mills, United Kingdom
“Don't Have the Vegetarian option”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We were here with a large group and as vegetarians had only one choice on the set menu, - Risotto. It arrived in a huge bowl and the portion was sitting in the middle at the bottom. It was supposed to be wild mushroom? but it was made with dried mushrooms and didn't seem to have any fresh mushrooms in it. It tasted bland and was thick in a sort of cream sauce? Who knows! We asked if there was anything else with it? No that was it - just a small portion of Risotto. We had to ask for a side salad. We were given one between the two of us. Vegetarians always miss out in places like this!!!! Not value for money. I could have made this dish and this portion size for about 50p. Doesn't compare with the pork or the salmon others had and they got salad and veg and roasties.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

After a recent recommendation from a close friend I decided to visit The Ship Inn and we weren't disappointed, the foot was delicious. The starters and mains were very nice, especially the gourmet burgers we had for our mains.

I maybe being picky but we did find the service a little slow, though that was to be expected as there didn't seem to be a member of staff working upstairs permanently, it was a busy evening so it didn't spoil our experience and we will no doubt go back again very soon.

Visited August 2013
“Midweek meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Visited on a Wednesday with a friend. The place was quite quiet, so easy to get a table downstairs. The menu was pretty extensive, but we were swayed by 2 pizzas for £10. The wait was quite a long time, but they were lovely pizzas. Very big, too much for me and it stopped me having a pudding.

Wednesday night is also quiz night, which we thought would be the end of our quiet night, but it was a fairly laid back quiz and became quite busy.

Great value for money, 4 drinks, a garlic bread to share & 2 pizzas for £27.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“Better food at Burger King!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Came in for the burger offer. Have been before and it was Okay! Not so good this visit though. The place was empty other than a couple of regulars, so I thought the chef would be relaxed and cook up some simple food well. The burger was tasty, but the additional garlic was unpleasant. It tasted awful and when it hit you made me feel slightly nauseous. Probably because it wasn't fresh and most likely from a tube or plastic container. The bun was much better than last time but there was a pitiful amount of salad. The tomato relish was fine, no mention if it was home made. I hope it was. But the chips, awful!!! They were burnt and tasted of the oil which was just about passable. As a cook myself, I would never have served them, I would be too embarrassed. My little friend had the ham egg and chips. Two pieces of ham, and not the best quality, burnt chips and eggs slightly undercooked. A mean portion at a rip off price, beggers belief how they get away with it. I'm sorry, but this pub has a great interior and really nice staff, so why employ a chef who is sleeping???? If the Ship goes down, id blame the cook, cause his lack of cooking passion is burning holes in the decks. If you want a good pint go there for sure, but if you are expecting good or great food as advertised then you'd be better eating before you go, or if you don't cook, then I guess this performance will do. For me I can't put up with this anymore.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Great evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Went to The Ship with 3 friends for a much-needed catch up - attentive staff, lovely food and great value for money - 2 pizzas for £10 on a Wednesday and they were huge! Lemon souffle highly recommended for dessert. Very nice to sit in the conservatory on the second floor looking out over the river with the evening sunshine streaming in.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere