“Where we always eat in Chester” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #106 of 376 restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Coach House is a Chester restaurant serving home cooked, traditional British food with a modern twist. We pride ourselves on always giving the highest quality we can, from our service to our food and even in our beer.We feature Daniel Thwaites beers and regular guest ales, often from local breweries. Our wine list is supplied by James Pickup wines and we also sell our wine of the month.Our full menu is available all day from 12 noon, and our lighter bites menu is served between 12 and 6pm
Shropshire
“Where we always eat in Chester”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have been going back to the Coach House for about 5 years, whenever we are in Chester it's "where we always eat", we have never had a bad meal, always plenty of variety and the staff are very friendly.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

73% Recommend
berolboy
“Visited twice - both superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Tasty food. Had horseradish and beetroot soup and was sublime! Very helpful, friendly staff. Dogs allowed which was brilliant for us.
Toilets very clean and smell clean - certainly not the usual pub toilet!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Disappointed this time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My partner and I called in for a midweek light lunch on a very quiet day. It is supposed to be table service but after 10 minutes I had to find a waitress and ask if I could place an order! We ordered soup of the day (potato and parsley) which is served with crusty bread and butter. The plus points are that the bowl of soup was large and hot - however there were too many negatives which spoilt our lunch. The butter was so hard that neither of us could spread it and we had to ask the waitress to try to warm it. The soup was quite salty - not one I would order again! The "no-no" for both of us was that the meal was served on a wooden board that had seen better days. It looked grubby (for want of a better word) and the bread was placed straight on the top of it. I would have preferred a plate.

This visit hasn't put us off eating at The Coach House. We have eaten there many times previously and had a very enjoyable experience. However soup and bread must be the easiest thing on the menu - if a restaurant can't get that right, standards are slipping.......

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great better-than-pub food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I've liked the coach house since it was refurbished a few years ago. I ate here at Christmas time a couple of years ago and it was lovely - always a telling time of year.

I've been here twice with friends in the last couple of months and the staff have been friendly, the good relatively quick, the wine good and, most importantly, the food is great. The portion sizes are just right and my local sausages were great.

My only downside (and to be fair it's a common one) is where are the vegetables? What is the harm in some nice julienne carrots alongside my toad in the hole? Why do i have to pay more if i want some? Bizarre. Although apparently the veggie curry was good.

Other than my constant grumble against the anti-vegetable crisis, it's a great pub with good food.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Leicester, United Kingdom
“great food at reasonable prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We visited the Coach House while spending a weekend in Chester. the food was amazing, I had the soup which was homemade cabbage soup, the bowl could have fed two people ! My husband had mussels cooked in apple and cider, again the portion was large.
For our main we had the shepherd pie and the beef and ale pie. Both were marvelous, the flavours were excellent and everything is home made. The service was excellent, the waitress was really attentive and friendly without being overbearing and interrupting our meal.
The beer was fab and reasonably priced, we had a pint of bitter and a vodka and lemonade for just over £6. The meal for both of us was £32 for 2 starters and 2 mains, excellent price for really good home made food. We would have gone back if we were not leaving the next day.
The pub is a nice friendly pub where the music is not too loud so you can hold a conversation The only negative thing I could say was that we were a little cold, although we were sat by a large window.

• Visited February 2013