“What a find!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 454 Restaurants in Chester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Doing business, Large groups, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional British style pub set in a wonderful historic location offering great value local food and ales in warm and friendly surroundings
North Wales
“What a find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We've been going to Chester for years but have only just found this gem. In fairness it was only opened as a bar/restaurant in 2008, and it's up a flight of wide stone steps, but that's no excuse.
The place is worth a visit just to read it's history, going back to Jacobean times and the interior, accordingly, is fascinating.
A superb range of beers, most if not all brewed locally. I had a really nice light ale and my wife also speaks highly of the Rioja, served by the glass if you prefer.
Our meals were excellent - braised stake pie with fat chips. It was nice to be told that Skate was off the menu as they had been very busy that day - always a good sign.
Excellent friendly service by the staff. Highly recommended.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“fab food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Brillant food. good location. good service. lovely venue with lots of character. we had the pie and chips. it was worth dying for! thank you

• 5 of 5 stars Food
York, United Kingdom
“Best selection of well kept ale in Chester”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

If you can't find a beer you like in here, you might as well stay at home.

Fabulous ale selection, with something for every palate. This beer is clearly looked after by people who know what they are doing.

Staff are smiley, pleasant and 'easy on the eye'.

In the words of Arnie..... I'll be back.

Chester, United Kingdom
“Lovely pub - but food could be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I went for lunch with a friend and this was our second visit. The place itself is quite unique and if you like beer it has a good selection. However we stuck to wine which was good and quite well priced. The one dissapointment was the food we both had the steak pie one of which appeared to have a lot of meat in the other unfortunately had very little. The chips however were the worst I have ever tasted, in fact I would not call them chips - more like overdone large potato wedges (skin on!). This always worries me as I wonder how well scrubbed the potatoes are considering all the pesticides that are used nowadays.

My final comment is that the young staf who were behind the bar ans serving the food are delightful,

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Trotter less!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I was looking forward to my meal here having studied the menu on the last couple of visits without eating and seeing the plates of food being delivered to fellow customers but I was disappointed with what I ordered. I went for the boiled bacon and pigs trotter but had to ask where the pigs trotter was. It turned out it was the scraps of meat on the plate which were hardly noticeable when I was expecting an actual pigs trotter. I think the menu should be clearer on what the dish actually is to avoid disappointment.
I ordered a side dish of cauliflower cheese which was very watery. And also the boiled bacon was quite salty. All in all the meal didn't live up to my expectations. My husband had the meat pie which he said was nothing special just a stew with a pastry lid.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere