“Great standard you can expect from cafe rouge.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Rouge - Chester

Cafe Rouge - Chester
29 Bridge Street, Chester CH1 1NG, England (Formerly Brasserie Gerard - Chester)
+44 01244 315 626
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #90 of 454 Restaurants in Chester
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“Great standard you can expect from cafe rouge.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Been he a couple of times both for lunch, the service was a little slow but the great quality of food made up for it. The Aubergine gratin is one of my favourite dishes from this brand and I asked for the herb and seed salad to be changed for a standard mixed salad and it came with eggs and potatoes for no extra cost it was delicious! Will be visiting next time I'm in Chester.

Bangor, United Kingdom
“Cafe rouge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Consistently good food, attentive staff and warm atmosphere - great for a snack, a morning coffee or a bigger meal.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chester, United Kingdom
“Not too bad - just a fair experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I've been to Cafe Rouge for lunch on a number of occasions and mainly in Exeter, so having recently moved to Chester thought that we would see what it was like in the evening. The hostess greeted us and gave us a choice of tables - there was a nice cosy atmosphere (despite the couple behind us having an argument!)

We ordered drinks quite quickly and our waiter was attentive, if a little inexperienced and seemingly slightly awkward - not sure whether he was new to the role. We had garlic breadsticks to start, which were fine but I prefer Pizza Express' doughballs. For main, I had duck confit which was OK but average, the dauphinoise potatoes were a bit dry and lacking cream and seasoning. The cherry sauce was a bit overpowering. My partner had a fillet steak, which he asked for medium to well done - it was a little too well done. I had apple tarte tatin for dessert which was disgusting - the pastry base was fine and crispy but no sign of a thinly sliced glazed apple, it was a big jelly-like apple jam covering the top, so horrible and I didn't enjoy it at all.

We had a nice bottle of Sancerre but it was quite expensive for what it was really. We've had better meals for the same price.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Quite good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Living abroad, I was unaware that Cafe Rouge was a chain restaurant. Chains are not my favourites. So, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food we ordered. I had the duck which was good, but not stunning. The service was a little lackadaisical, but I can certainly recommend this restaurant as a decent second best when you can't get into a good local place.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“First In - Last Out!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Myself and my partner chose to dine in Cafe Rouge as it looked such a warm and inviting haven from the chill outside. The food was fresh and lovely and what started out as a casual basic meal around 5 pm, turned into us spending the entire evening in the lovely cosy atmosphere, ordering more starters after many more drinks and eventually being the last to leave the restaurant! I think it is safe to assume we thoroughly enjoyed our evening in this excellent and affordable restaurant:-)

Visited January 2013