“good place for meet up” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #240 of 392 Restaurants in Chester
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“good place for meet up”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

this could be a good location to meet up on your day out shopping. quick drink before you hit the shops! atmos could be improved greatly in my opinion though.

Visited October 2013

Caernarfon, United Kingdom
“Where's the ham in that?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

OK, so the 2 meals for £9 was a "value diner", but the ham, egg & chips was a couple of wafer thin slices of ham, not resembling anything like gammon. Maybe I set the bar too high, but we were rather disappointed this time, as we'd been well pleased with a similar meal last summer.

Visited April 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great Pub Grub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We visited Chester for a day out of shopping and wanted to watch the rugby this afternoon too.

Because we weren't local we asked a couple of people in the city centre where the game would be shown. So with that we set off to Off The Wall near the river.

The pub was bigger than expected and the bar offered a great selection of drinks.

As we wanted food we got a table and both ordered fish & chips from a very traditional pub menu.

Our food arrived very quickly and have to say it was great value for money.

The pub had a good atmosphere and many TVs to watch the game. The staff were friendly and the service we received was of a good standard. So all in all we had a great afternoon.....plus it was less time spent in the busy shops...

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
England
“vile”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

dirty, horrible place, not to the standard it was when it first opened. Such a shame. It is unwelcoming, dirty and unpleasant. Our plates and cutlery were sent back. This is not a place i would recommend at all

Visited April 2013
Rugby, UK
“Mega Plate not!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Stumbled across this place by accident, weary travellers in need of food, so wish I had carried on stumbling.

Partner ordered Italian Chicken, frozen processed chicken, smear of tomato sauce and that famous cheese of Italy Cheddar on top? Garnished with a plate of chips. Well to be fair the food was cooked and edible.

My first order was from the Megaplate section of the menu. Went for Cow Pie. The menu showed a large plate, bursting with chips and a large pie dish topped with a thick golden crust, cut to show a filling bursting out with a blend of succulent chunks of steak and fresh veg in a rich gravy, which certainly made my mind up.

Unfortunately, that's not what turned up. Normal sized plate with significantly less chips than a non Megaplate meal. A brown ramekin sat on my plate with a half cooked pastry topper, literally folded in. Firstly this is not a pie, I hate those fake toppers even when cooked. My guess is that they deliberately undercook them so they can be folded into the dish, if it was cooked and puffed up it would overhang the tiny pie dish a couple inches each side. At this point I decided to carry on towards the promised filling, pushing the raw pastry to one side I was greeted by frozen carrots reheated in gravy with a mighty 3 pieces of beef.

Heading back to the bar I pointed out the meals deficiencies and was offered a replacement, I could not face another attempt at pie, so asked for a bacon cheese burger you can't go wrong with a burger can you?

Apparently you can! It appeared to be cooked this time however the burgers were cheap and tasted foul leaving a nasty after taste in my mouth, I mean come on seriously Weatherspoons can do a reasonably nice burger 10 times the quality for half the price and you get a free drink with it, you should hang your heads in shame. I couldn't even make a chip butty with the bun as cheap meat juice had soaked into it.

I was in fear of what would come out next if I complained again, so we fled and took solace in a bag of crisps and some choc eclairs in the car.

Avoid!!!