“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 78 Chester B&B and Inns
Cork, Ireland
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Owners extremely friendly & helpful. Good location for walking to Chester.
Did not have breakfast but it smelled lovely.
Room was basic and small. No blackout curtains & very noisy when anyone was moving about the house. Light sleepers might need to bear this in mind.
Overall the room we stayed in could do with updating.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Rossendale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I had an excellent stay here for a weekend break in Chester, the owner Mike was very welcoming and couldn't do enough to help us with information on local attractions to visit and places to eat. The room itself was clean and quite spacious especially considering the price. The cooked breakfast was brilliant on both mornings also. Would definitely recommend staying here if you are visiting Chester.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I had struggled to find places where my whole family could spend the night for a reasonable price, so I was happy to find the Bowman Lodge. I'll admit I thought the rooms looked quite dated in the photos, but they were much better in person. The rooms were pleasant and clean, and our family room had loads of space with a double bed, two singles, and room for the baby's cot with plenty of space to move around. The owners were also pleasant, and they made a very nice full breakfast. Our room was quiet and the beds were comfortable. My parents stayed in another room facing the main road. Their room had a lovely view of an old church, and they were very happy with it, but they did say their bed was a bit too soft and there was some traffic noise--our room did not have this concern. All of us were happy to stay and would recommend it again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at the Bowman lodge whilst on a recent stag weekend. When I arrived Mike the owner greeted me and was very pleasant and helpful.
My room was a small single room on the top floor which although small was more than adequate for one bloke on his own. The room was very nicely decorated with a nice size flatscreen tv a dresser and a kettle. There was a shared bathroom on the top floor but as I was the only guest on the top floor I had exclusive use.
On Saturday morning I had a very nice cooked breakfast and and as much toast as I could handle which set me up well for a day at the races. On the Sunday morning I slept past my check out time but there was no hassle from the owners who politely knocked to wake me up.
Overall my stay was good and the hotel whilst not spectacular was perfect for me and will be the first place I try if I am ever back in Chester.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
mrc1234, Owner at Bowman Lodge, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Many thanks for your kind review we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We have updated our rooms in relation to decore and have new televisions throughout and im happy you noticed and took the time to mention . Just a small note the single room bathroom although not ensuite is a private bathroom for your use only, the door has a lock on it and only you have the key to it, enabling you to use it and leave your toiletries there safe in the knowledge no one else can gain access. Again many thanks for review and hope to see you again in the near future
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This lodge is an ok place to stay.we had a great welcoming of the owners theyre very nice.the rooms are big but there very dark because of old fashioned decore and the bathroom needs updating (they have a pink toilet and shower) the price is ok but could be lowered when its only room only and not having breakfast

• Stayed May 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Room spotless and clean, bed changed every day. Breakfast was lovely, Hotel very clean and tidy, Mike who runs the B&B is such a lovely and helpful man. Keep the good work up. Will go back again. Perfect location, short walk into chester town centre.

Thankyou for a lovely stay
Maria & Terry
Liverpool

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is an old house in need of refurbishment. Lady who welcomed me was in a hurry and did not engage. Room was big but needed redecoration. Sheets clean but valance around the divan base was dirty. Small ensuite was mouldy and smelled of poor ventilation. Breakfast lacked variety. No muesli or fruit. Gent who served breakfast was friendlier. would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Bowman Lodge? Share your experiences!