“Wonderful wonderful venue” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful wonderful venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Oddfellows is without a doubt the best hotel, bar and restaurant in Chester. It manages to be stylish, quirky yet elegant all at the same time.
The food and cocktails are delicious but is is the surroundings that make this venue truly magnificent. I can come here again me again and still be wowed by the place.
A little tip is to visit on a Sunday sometimes they have lunch offers on and usually there is a great swing/jazz singer on.

Only downside would be that since the refurbishment they have raised their prices quite dramatically and no longer seem to do drinks offers but I suppose they are aiming for high calibre clients these days.

Also I am so sad that the smoking stags head (not as weird as it sounds) is no longer in the bar!!

Would I recommend Oddfellowes? Without a doubt!

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Very enjoyable stay, rooms so clean and modern, bar area a delight, it's a must if going to chester, very close to the town centre only a 5 minute walk. Outdoor area would be lovely when weather a little warmer

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We arrived late on a Friday 11 January and after a seamless check in by super friendly and efficient staff, we were shown to our room in the new build at the back of the hotel. We asked for a room that could take a 4 month baby. The room was great, we stayed in room 18, had a wet room and a free standing bath. The bed was big and really comfortable. Tip here, if you want breakfast in the morning , leave a note using one of the forms in the room and hang on the door handle. We opted not to do this and wander around Chester in the morning to have breakfast. Over our stay I can't praise the staff there enough. Nothing was ever too much trouble and they helped out whenever they could. After reading some of the earlier reviews about the staff I was slightly hesitant on booking, but after my stay, if I was ever to visit Chester again I would book this place to stay in an instant. Great, hotel, great staff, great location, lovely room. What more could you want when you go away for a weekend break?

Room Tip: We chose room18, which was not in the main building, and very quiet
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on the 29th December 2012. I booked it after looking through lots of hotels on the Internet and I was glad I did! Check in was fast and efficient and the staff all seemed very friendly. Walking up to the room it felt as if you had just stepped into the set of Alice in wonderland. After the walk up to the room we were expecting it to be something special and we weren't disappointed. The room was gorgeous! It had a double height ceiling and was decorated beautifully! I am extremely fussy when it comes to hotel rooms and the first thing on my agenda is to check the room, however, I could not find a single fault. By far the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

Staying at this hotel will definitely not leave you feeling disappointed!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I booked a night in an attic room as a post-Christmas treat for me and my partner... and we absolutely loved Oddfellows...! From checking in at a desk made out of an old aeroplane wing... to the double showers and enormous round bed, the whole hotel is fun, and really stylish...! The hotel bar and restaurant looked to be top class and very popular, although we headed out and ate elsewhere...! If we were to be slightly critical... there were three bulbs out of action in our room and the 'breakfast to go' wasn't up to much - we paid £170 for a room in early January... and I personally think that a decent breakfast should feature...! All in all a great stay and we would definitely book again!

Room Tip: The duplex attic room was a real treat... definitely worth that bit extra!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

What a fabulously quirky hotel, situated in the heart of Chester, England.

Immediately you are bowled over by the incredibly artistic decor which has a magical Alice in Wonderland feel going right through the hotel. From cute little 'Eat Me' 'Drink Me' labels on the mini bar to the raining tree placed in the hotel's very well seated (with outside fireplaces & heaters) garden area - we'd of loved this in the summer. It was refreshing that the standards inside matched the design ambitions, lush cushions adorn every seated area, and ornate chandeliers feature real candles, whilst the bar serves a vast array of inventive and classic cocktails.

Our room was very high spec, white shutters, walk in shower room, Roberts DAB radio and beautifully designed, it really felt very 5* and the artistic edge continued, with the front door painted like one you'd find on a wooden house in the forest.

We ate in the Restaurant as we took advantage of the £80 spend on dinner = free overnight stay deal, great value as the rooms can retail for £99 upwards. I didn't love the meal but am a notoriously fussy vegetarian who isn't a lover of 'fussy' meals and has a pet hate for places who offer just one vege alternative, although the ambience of the dining room was incredible with tiny jam jars full of candles illuminating the tables. The company I was enjoyed theirs although we all agreed a little pretentious, sorry chef.

Staff are incredible, well mannered and well presented. The few times we needed something, restaurant time change/an iron, they could not be more helpful. We had a false fire alarm whilst we visited around 10.30pm and were evacuated briefly. The staff handled it great, they stayed calm and I couldn't count the amount of times they apologised.

The down side to the whole experience (and it really is a grown up adventure) was the choice you have to make between air con (exceptionally noisy) or the voices of the other guests who may be in the garden rooms. We couldn't open the window as the noise echoed into our room (we would not of been ok with a private party on the roof terrace opposite - there would be no way we could of stayed in our room) In the end we woke at 4.00am burning up (the rooms are soooo warm).

On the whole, would recommend for the experience, however some attention needs to be given the to the comfort of sleeping guests, yes we are in the city but we are also in wonderland, a little less noise would of been a sweeter dream.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed here for one night on the 30/12/12 and booked a Newbrook room,clearly had not long been refurbished and all of the fixtures and fittings are of a high standard It's a lovely hotel with lots of quirky touches and I would stay here again.The only negatives for me were I felt that the bar was overpriced - nine pounds for a large G&T was a bit steep and if you want to have a hot breakfast this isn't included in the price

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Oddfellows? Share your experiences!