“Better than expected.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 43 Hotels in Chester
Warminster, United Kingdom
“Better than expected.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I was apprehensive about our booking at this hotel after reading previous reviews, and as my card had been charged before we arrived I was unable to cancel the booking, I should have used Booking.com...
However it proved to be fine, it is not 3 star, more like 1star, that being said the Lady who is running the hotel whilst the owner is away,was exceptionally helpful and kind . Our rooms were changed as she could see my husband was not fit enough to carry a case up two flights of stairs ( I had requested lower floor adjacent rooms on a telephone booking with the owner, but he had allocated upper floor rooms) . The rooms were both large, clean with good hanging space (we were there for a big wedding) . The bathrooms are not good, just small pods, ours was very clean , but my daughters not so good and even smaller. WiFi was excellent and free, breakfast very good, freshly cooked with a good choice of all things full English , plus yogurts cereals juice croissants and pastries, and green tea available. Housekeeping efficient , bedding somewhat worn and although clean didn't feel fresh. All in all value for money if you are not too fussy. Plus I left my iPad behind, and when I realised the next day, they had it still when we phoned. I am not sure other establishments would have been so honest.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I booked into this hotel after looking at the photos and price, also as it was close to the train station. Myself and daughter (who was attending a university audition) worried needlessly after reading other reviews. On arrival we were shown to a CLEAN room, with plenty of tea and coffee etc. There was also lots of little soaps and a couple of small bottles of body wash in the bathroom. As stated in other reviews the bathroom is small, but very functional and the shower was very powerful and hot! (Please be aware if you are planning a party in the bathroom or want to sleep in there, then this hotel isn't for you ;-))
My daughter and I had a great nights sleep in a COMFORTABLE bed, which incidentally had CLEAN bedding on it! The room was lovely and WARM. The view from our window wasn't great (but we had no plans to sit looking out of the window anyway)
Breakfast was freshly prepared and served by HELPFUL and FRIENDLY staff.
This hotel is a few minutes walk from bkth the train station and the city centre and was GREAT value for money. I WOULD BOOK AGAIN!
After reading other reviews I am convinced that some people just like to find fault!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed at Lloyd's for 2 nights at the start of February, when coming to Chester for a friend's birthday. I booked it purely on the price, as everywhere else I looked at seemed ridiculously expensive and was extremely worried when I read some of the reviews before we arrived. However, for what we needed it was perfect. The location is very close to the station which was handy when we arrived and it takes about 10 minutes to walk into the centre. It is also handy for a great pub with real ale and ciders, which is almost right across the road.
The owner was extremely friendly to us both on arrival and whenever we saw him throughout the stay. He gave us some useful information we required regarding directions and was really pleasant.
Breakfast was nice and included an interesting spicy/herby sausage and a hash brown; we had struggled to find many other places where it was actually included in the price so were very happy with it, especially as there was plenty of butter!
We had the room which other people have complained about, with a fire escape just outside but I didn't feel at all unsafe. The room itself was clean, tidy and warm. The bedcovers were a bit woolly, which some people may not like, but I found it cosy.
The bathroom, as noted in other reviews, is a kind of self-contained pod, but I couldn't see why this was not a problem, particularly as the shower was amazing - really hot and powerful.
Overall, we had a great stay in a warm, clean room in a good location for us; it is not the height of luxury but the price was very reasonable and the stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We stayed here on the 27th and 28th January. We were told on arrival that we had been upgraded to a family room free of charge! as the one we had booked would be too small for me, hubby and baby, room was very clean and tidy, maid service and fresh towels every day. Bathroom a bit small but as me and hubby are petite it didn't effect us. Yes u could here traffic outside but our room was facing a busy main road, the room was lovely and warm. Breakfast was very nice. Hot breakfast was freshly cooked to order and staff we're very friendly towards baby. For a three star hotel its what we expected. We would stay here again. Man on desk (foreign) very welcoming and nice.... thank you :-)

• Stayed January 2014
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We booked into the hotel to find our room was Freezing cold ! ( 01/2/14) . I was told the heating was on a timer ! There was no thermostat in the room ! The shower unit resembled an old portaloo , which was to small for my 6ft hsband to squeeze into and the toilet was as small as an plane loo .I found that the bedding was clean but shabby , and the pillows were stained. Im glad we only stayed for 1 night !

• Stayed February 2014
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife booked this "hotel" for a 1 night stay on the 28th of January. On arrival the room was not ready, the so called parking at the rear isn't safe to leave an empty milk bottle so I had to pay another £6.00 to park on the railway carpark down the road and to top it all off we where awoken in the middle of the night by something scurrying along inside the suspended ceiling. When we reported this to the man on the front desk he did not seem surprised at all and did not offer any sort of reimbursement or consolation for probably the worst hotel stay I have ever experienced. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, unfortunately the the bottom floor of the hotel looked very inviting but the rest of the stay was completely ruined.

• Stayed January 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I didn't actually get to stay here after a very rude telephone conversation with reception. I booked through booking.com who are great. Unfortunately due to an oversite on my part my booking payment didn't go through. I spoke to hotel reception and requested to pay over the phone. I was rudely told that my booking had been cancelled and there was now no availability. I was so upset about the way I was spoken to I put the phone down. After composing myself I thought I'd try again. I got the same reaction. I am totally shocked at the way I was spoken to. I was made to feel like the lowest of the low. I have stayed in many wonderful hotels in many different places. Never have I been treated in this way. I wouldn't stay here if they paid me. I have now rebooked else where.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Lloyds of Chester? Share your experiences!