“Return visit - still very good” 4 of 5 stars

Poets House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St Marys Street, Ely CB7 4EY, England   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ely
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Return visit - still very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We first came here exactly a year ago and had such a lovely time, we knew we had to come back again.
We were not disappointed. We had a different room this time but still with magnificent views of the Cathedral, church and Cromwell's House.
The traffic lights were just below our 2 bedroom windows with the slightly irritating pedestrian beeping noise, but this died away by the evening. The traffic is noisy but the secondary glazing is quite effective so it didn't bother us too much although we did hear the dawn chorus of traffic at 6.00 a.m.
We were a bit surprised not to have the butlers tray with nibbles plus G&T, V&T etc. that we had last year and is also advertised on the website and on the room's iPad. I phoned down to reception to be told that they were amending this item and it was not available anymore. I would have expected a hotel of this quality to have made amends by sending something up, but nothing materialised.
However, the room did have a bottle of Norwegian still and sparkling water, and at £4.50 a pop at bar prices, this was welcome. The card welcoming us back was a nice touch too.
The staff as usual were very professional, well presented and helpful and a credit to the hotel.
I had a problem syncing my mobile to the Bose system which does not have a docking station. I rang down and the receptionist appeared within 2 minutes and had a go but was unsuccesful. She summonsed one of the bar lads who appeared almost instantly and of course pressed the same button as I had been pressing and it worked for him.
Smart TV too which allowed me to log into my NOW account and so we were able to watch a film.
The room was immaculate, we weren't brave enough to try the copper hip bath in the bedroom,but the rain drench shower was perfectly adequate and the underfloor heating my partner appreciated but I found a bit too warm.
We had an evening meal this time which was fabulous. We had a limited choice because we were on a deal but the waitress explained we could choose other items at extra cost if we wished.
Superb meal, we both had salmon, my liver parfait starter was delicious too. Desserts first class.
Breakfast was fine, real orange choice not machine stuff. Bit mean with the bacon with a thin rasher allocation ("rashion"?) but maybe that's me).
My partner opted for tomato and mushroom, is that all? queried the waiter. When it arrived it was a tomato cut in half with a dried out burnt-around-the-edges mushroom on top, not really what one would expect. We could have sent it back but we were in a hurry to meet friends. Toast was replenished efficiently.
When it came to checking out, we had an interesting discussion about some items on the bill. Another room no's bill was attached to ours but happily it didn't affect our bill. Apparently there is a difference in tea taken indoors and out. Our first "complimentary" tea we had outside in the sunshine whilst our car was parked for us. We were charged for this but not the tea in our room. There was also a mystery £4.00 added to our menu choice which may have been for tea but was supposed to be included in the meal deal, we paid it anyway as it was too trifling a sum to worry about.
So all in all, we had a lovely time and we will come back here again but I dropped a blob on the ratings because a) no Butler tray as advertised, b) burnt dessicated mushroom c) Bill discrepancy
I did send an email a week before we went, as on our previous visit, the GM indicated he would like to meet us following my glowing review but I didn't receive a response.
We'll come again because as I say. its a lovely place to stay, it ain't cheap but nor is quality.

Room Tip: For views front bedroom but traffic noise For quiet rear garden room but no views.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear edloon,
Thank you for your recent review of Poets House. May I apologise for the immediate lack of response , this matter will be addressed with the on property team.
Your review and its constructive comments are extremely helpful in dealing with such issues within the operation. We are in the process of a brand review and changing some of the elements that you mention , this decision has been taken from feedback of our guests and as part of our internal review system. With that said it is not our intention to take away from the experiential services that we offer but simply replace them with items that guest have requested.
I do hope you have not been deterred from your recent stay and I would very much welcome the opportunity to personally say hello on your next visit which seemed to have been the intention of our GM but sadly to no avail, my direct email contact is david@thehousecollection.com. I
Thank you again for taking the time to review us and for your support of Poets House,
David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Downham Market, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Went to poets house this evening and was super impressed with all the service staff especially our waiter Jeff and the restaurant manager. We didn't want or have to ask for anything all evening, good quality food and reasonably priced. Will certainly visit again

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Adam_Cox 001,
Thank you for recent review of Poets House and indeed choosing us as a venue for your celebration. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and have already shared your comments with all concerned.
Thank you again Adam for taking the time to review us and I hope you will be back to see us soon.
Essex UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Just back from a very enjoyable one night stay at Poets House. Had stayed at the sister hotel,Paddocks House, a couple of months ago and so was interested how they would compare.
Poets House is equally stylish and luxurious. Our room didn't have the copper bath in the bedroom, but the bathroom was much, much bigger than at Paddocks.
Food, drink and service were all excellent. Being a townhouse there is some noise from the road and the beeping of the pedestrian crossing was quite irritating.
Ely is an absolute delight and the river walk well worth doing. Overall we had a fabulous time and would definitely stay again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Angel57
Thank you for your recent review of Poets House. I am delighted to read that you have visited both our properties and can readily compare them.
Whilst the design concepts are the same the buildings as you will have seen are very different in their proposition but hopefully bought together by our brand concept.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us and indeed for coming across to both properties in this our inaugural year.
I hope we will be welcoming you back with us again soon,

Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I am still trying to work out the Hotel, when you arrive they take your car away which was good. You then go to your room which was across the courtyard, when you get to your room we were a bit put out to find a bath in the bedroom I can understand in some places but at our age getting in and out wold be a problem, again no tea or coffee in the room you have to phone down for it to the butler. We had a special price for the room and dinner but the choice of dinner was only one meat, one fish or one veg or you paid more to choice from the main menu, again breakfast was good it was just that we had to wait 20 minutes for our toast and then it was only three half slices of bread the personal were very helpful but I just cannot put my finger on what did not feel right about the hotel.

Room Tip: With regard to the bath in the bedroom I think it would depend on how old you are as an AOP could fi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 165000,
Thank you for your recent review of Poets House. I am sorry to read of your mixed feelings about the property and thank you for the constructive feedback you have offered which has been included in our property reviews.
I am sure other reviewers will find your tips and comments useful as we have done on property.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us.
Best regards,
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed in suite 4 for a special occasion in ely. The suite was amazing, including a huge wet room, a roll top bath in the bedroom, a large wall mounted tv and an ipad. The bathroom products were by Bvlgari and Hermes. It was very clean. Food was good. Drink prices were reasonable, and service was impeccable.

For breakfast in bed, ensure you fill in the request card on the back of the door and hand it in.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear pirret,
Thank you for your review of Poets House and great comments for our hotel and team. Appreciation and recognition goes a long way in our business and thank you for taking the time to do just that.
I hope you will look us up when next back in the area.

Leicestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed for a two night break early in June. The location of the Hotel is excellent opposite the cathedral. The rooms were nicely decorated and the bathrooms with the cooper tubs quite spectacular. All the staff were courteous, especially the bar staff who produce excellent cocktails!My only disappointment was with the breakfast both in terms of quality of food and service. There was no fresh fruit, the coffee served was awful and the cooked food took a full 30 minutes to arrive. I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear jm 2462,
Thank you for your recent review of Poets House. I am sorry that our breakfast service seemed to let us down on your visit, please be assured that this has been dealt with at the time of your stay with the on property team, but thank you for further making us aware.
I am pleased to read of your appreciation of the hotel team and our product and am delighted that you have not been deterred from a repeat visit.
Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we will look forward to seeing you back with us at Poets House again soon.
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We had a lovely 3 day stay at this hotel. The hotel was excellent, with splendid service and high standards of courtesy and attention. Our room was large (with a copper bath!) and really comfortable and well-finished. The breakfast menu was varied and from what we had in our three days, we can vouch for the high quality of the fare served. We didn't have evening meals there as we were out and about, but the complementary tea service available on request on our return was much appreciated. Downsides - the underfloor heating in the bathroom was too hot for us but couldn't be turned down by guests; and the bedroom air conditioning couldn't be set below 18C which was too warm for us at night; but being a light sleeper meant leaving windows open wasn't really practicable with road noise from the front of the hotel. Probably down to sleeping at home in a very quiet environment! And there was no fridge in the room, a bit inconvenient for keeping cold drinks cold!

All in all a very pleasant and enjoyable stay - the hotel is in an ideal location not just for Ely but for Cambridge too - recommend Milton Park and Ride, so easy. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Alan 649010,

Thank you for your recent review and feedback from your visit with us at Poets House. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and thank you for your constructive feedback of which we have been working on with the hotel team.

I am glad that you took advantage of the location and made the most of our neighbouring cities.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we too will look forward to your return.

David

Been to Poets House? Share your experiences!