“Great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ely
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I visited the Poet's House for the second time wanting to try it again; and was not disappointed. The service from arrival is excellent, with the parking issue being overcome by efficient valet service.

The whole experience from checking in to a superb meal with excellent service is refreshing - I stay in The area a lot for business and this level of attention is exceptional.

I

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Oliver T, General Manager at Poets House, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear kwhayward,

Thank you so much for revisiting us and for your feedback. It's very pleasing to hear we have offered an enjoyable stay to you on both occasions. This consistency is the absolute bedrock on which we must base our development and growth now we are moving out of our opening period.

We'll hope to continue to welcome you to the hotel when visiting the area on business and to providing the quality of service you allude to above.

Many thanks again.

Oliver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Briston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I attended a buffet reception at Poets House today following the funeral of a friend. The food, the service, the atmosphere were all wonderful and we felt very well looked after. My parents spent Wednesday night and Thursday night there, they were full of praise and said they couldn't have been looked after any better. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear ClaireR787,

Thank you for your kind words above.

It is obviously vital to achieve the correct atmosphere and style of service on an occasion such as this and I will ensure I thank the team for their work on this front.

I'm very pleased to hear your parents enjoyed their stay and we'll hope you can join us again in the not too distant future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed here last weekend for our wedding night. We were greeted by the butler with champagne and then shown to our room. It was a lovely upgraded room that overlooked the catherdral. The bathroom was lovely with a luxurious bath! (Which I'm sad that I never had a chance to use!) Such a lovely atmosphere here! Such a lovely modern hotel, we hope to be staying again!

The breakfast was lovely too and the service is amazing! We arrived late Saturday/early Sunday and had to leave early in the morning so we were not able to enjoy the hotel for long . . . . So we came back for dinner last night and were amazed yet again!

I think we will be coming back . . .and we will be trying paddocks house too!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Heidi H,

Thank you so much for the above feedback.

It seems we have really managed to impress and I'm delighted to hear of an immediate return visit to the dining room and that you are planning your next visit already!

I will ensure I pass your comments on to the team who will be really pleased to hear of your experience.

We'll look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My partner and I enjoy finding and staying at hotels which are a little different. I had booked a night in Cambridge for the Sunday and wanted to hotel to stay on route. I locate this hotel and overall the reviews are very positive.
The hotel is in Ely where we have never visited before and would return.
The hotel was lovely, expensive for one night but overall we said we would love to return for special occasions.
We had a room on the 2nd floor facing the road and next to the lift. We enjoyed the copper bath and rang for a tray to make tea in the room which was brought up quickly and extra water again which was brought to the room in a large bottle.
Our evening commenced with champagne cocktails provided by the hotel which was a lovely touch.
We decided to eat in the bar and had a lovely meal of mini burgers which were delicious and my partner had the steak sandwich. We were advised to select the chunky chips and had the most amazing garlic chips.
The bar was busy with customers eating in the hotel with lots of staff who were helpful and friendly.
We had no complaints the only feedback we would have provided had I had a pen for the card which is left in the room is as follows;
heating - it was not possible to turn the radiator down in the bathroom which was really warm.
chocolates - with the tea tray a few biscuits or chocolates would be a lovely treat
windows - it would have been nice to open the windows when the room got too warm

However overall it was marks 10/10 for a lovely hotel, friendly staff , excelelnt food and very tasteful decoration. The dining room for breakfast is one, if not the nicest I have had eaten breakfast.

We had a wander into Ely and ate lunch at Pizza Express and a drink in the local pub.

I hope the hotel continues to serve its customers well and makes the changes to improve an exisiting very good/excellent hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Karen 2407,

Many thanks for your review.

I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your suggestions and constructive comments. We have several of these in hand actually with an improved stationery offering and in room tea and coffee facilities on their way (together with biscuits and other nibbles). Being our first Winter we are just perfecting our heating settings and will certainly utilise your comments to ensure there is a pleasant ambient temperature!

I was particularly pleased to hear of your dining experience in our Study Bar. We aim for this to offer a relaxed environment within which you can enjoy some really approachable and tasty dishes, being open to both public and residents we do get busy but I'm pleased to hear the team were on top of things and delivering the service we look to provide at all times!

We'll hope to have the opportunity to look after you again in the future and thank you again for taking the time to offer your feedback.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Stayed on a business trip 2 weeks ago and the hotel was very accommodating. The room was well furnished with a copper bath in the room (shower room also included). The breakfast was excellent, didn't eat at the restaurant. The only criticism was the amount of staff "hanging around", the bar at 19:00 had 5 staff (only 1 barman) and me.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Oliver T, General Manager at Poets House, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Derren B,

Thank you very much for your review.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we'll hope you pay us another visit should you visit Ely again on business or for a leisurely trip one weekend... Might I suggest our 'Butlers, Bubbles and Truffles' stay...

I must confess I'm a little concerned by the numbers of staff loitering in the bar area and will ensure I speak with the managerial team on duty to avoid any repeat.

Thanks again and we'll hope to see you again.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I think the other one, almost opposite, The Old Fire Engine House, has a lot more character, good art, and food. We went for an anniversary meal & weren't impressed, it was 'ok', both food & service. We won't rush back, I don't think. Probably a nicer place for a drink, business meeting or a wedding party. It did have a certain charm, a modern feeling.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PuppyBelle,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback above.

It is obviously rather disappointing to read a 'headline' comment such as yours. We would hope not to fall under either of these headings! I take some solace from the fact you visited us in the early stages of our launch period back in May. I would feel quietly confident we have developed considerably in the 5 months since and I do hope you take the opportunity to revisit us for another try.

Thanks again and please do make contact should you join us again, I would value your thoughts and view of our up to date offerings.

cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

As others have said there is nowhere else in the area anywhere near as special as this hotel. As you drive in you are greeted by a butler who takes you through check in to your room then parks your car for you. We had a Master room, £199 on a saturday night bed and breakfast with great views of the church and cathedral. The room was beautiful, comfy bed, free standing copper bath and great shower room. I only have 2 minor niggles, 1 is that I do like to be able to open a window but I can see the reason they are sealed is to keep the road noise out which they do very well, had a very good, quiet night's sleep. The second is that there are no tea and coffee making facilities, your butler will of course bring you tea but I really wanted it in bed in my pjs!
After settling into our room we went down to the bar for complimentary drinks, I chose a cocktail which was very good. Sadly we didn't eat here as we booked last minute and the earliest table was 21.15, a little late for us but the room service menu was good and the breakfast was excellent.
Often hotels seem understaffed and rushed but this is not the case here, nothing is too much trouble and all the staff we met were friendly and helpful. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I believe there are only 2 types of room, the Master Rooms are a little bigger