“Amazing boutique hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Ely
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing boutique hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed there for two nights and were really amazed by quality of the service. Our butler (can't remember his name but he was a lovely French man) took great care of us. The rooms are just pristine and the food is excellent. Beautiful boutique hotel!

Room Tip: Facing the cathedral, wonderful view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver T, General Manager at Poets House, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear Riverflow28,

Thank you for your review.

I believe Adrien is the butler to whom you refer and he is indeed a valued member of the team! I'm really pleased that your room and dining experience impressed. It is this overall experience we look to deliver to each of our visitors and I'm delighted we have succeeded in doing so for you.

We'll hope a return visit is pencilled in!

Many thanks,

Oliver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Great hotel lovely room , quiet with great view of Cromwell's House and Cathedral! Even better in room 10 as could look at from Roll top bath ! The reception staff were excellent and were pleased to help in any way that they could

• Stayed October 2013
Dear holslover,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

We do hold a lovely spot just across from the Cathedral and Oliver Cromwell's house. I do hope you enjoyed a glass of something whilst admiring the views!

Thanks also for your compliments for the reception team to whom I will pass on your comments.

We'll hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

South Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This is an exceptional hotel and ranks as one of the best I have ever stayed in. The service, the genuine care of each and every member of staff sets it well above the majority of hotels. The food is superb. This hotel truly cares about its guests and I was wowed from the minute I arrived. A true jewel and other hotels would do well to follow their example. Without hesitation if I find myself working in the area again I would rebook in a heartbeat. Thank you for bringing an oasis of calm and service to the hard working traveller.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear gabriella1,

Wow indeed! What a great review, thank you so much. I'm delighted you've left the hotel with this opinion of the team and hotel. We're incredibly proud of the team we are building here and I will be sure to pass on your comments.

We are always happy to offer an escape during a busy working week and do hope we will see you again. If the opportunity arises please do make yourself known as it would be lovely to say hello.

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Tried to book 8 rooms with evening meal. Not only did the person I first spoke to not know what rooms were available or ring back but the second person 4 days later didn't ring either. We had heard what a wonderful place this was and the web site certainly confirmed this, however, we do feel that your staff may be letting you down.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Oliver T, General Manager at Poets House, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Sue M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience when trying to book with us recently.

Clearly your comments were of great concern and I thank you for providing further details on request. Following these details I have spoken with our reception and reservation teams. Having received your enquiry on the 18th, we have several calls noted in response to your enquiry to your colleague, twice on the 20th (leaving a message the second time) and once on the 23rd. I'm not sure if there was an error with the number that was taken but please accept my apologies if this is the case.

We do take great care when taking larger reservations to be sure we can accommodate our guests and provide a standard of service at the same level as we offer to smaller tables and bookings. It seems on this occasion our process for dealing with these enquiries has left a certain amount to be desired and we will review these measures going forward.

Clearly it is not good business practice to lose potential reservations such as yours. I can assure you this issue sits at the management's door rather any specific team members who receive repeatedly positive feedback. I will ensure we utilise your feedback in improving our handling of these enquiries and I would be more than happy to personally ensure we do all we can to accommodate your company in future.

I'd be more than pleased to discuss the matter in greater detail with you and do feel free to contact me directly to do so.

Many thanks,

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

A delightful hotel in a delightful city - helped by a delightfully sunny late September weekend!
The staff were attentive and friendly from the outset and made sure we had a very relaxing and enjoyable weekend.
The room was great although I often enjoy indulging in the big bed often found in hotel rooms - but not in room 13 for some reason; not sure why, there's plenty of space for a larger bed. Generally it was excellent though - the bath in particular was fantastic, as were the smellies.
The food, particularly breakfast was spot on. Dinner was reasonably priced, well cooked and the restaurant not to busy.
All in all a fantastic weekend and I'd like to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Duke33,

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your feedback.

It seems you enjoyed almost all aspects of your stay although we cannot claim any credit for the weather! I will pass your thoughts on to the team and we'll very much look forward to welcoming you back to Ely in the not too distant future.

Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

This is a charming and modern little hotel influenced, as its name suggests, by the remarkable Sybil Marshall, Creative Educator and Folklorist. The staff were especially friendly and welcoming, and were eager to help my husband and me with all our queries which made the trip to Ely especially productive. The room was lovely and comfortable, the bathroom well furnished. Above all, it was the staff that made our stay at the Poets House memorable. I would especially like to point out the friendliness of Katie, Danielle, and Tito in the overall functioning of this lovely hotel; and that of Jasmine and Cassie in the restaurant. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a pleasant sojourn in Ely. Mariaines, Oxford

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mariaines Oxford,

Many thanks for your review and particular thanks for your kind words regarding our staff.

We are very proud of the team here at Poets House and they will be delighted to hear of your comments. It's lovely to hear you enjoyed your visit and we'll hope this means we will be seeing you again.

algarve
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

A quite extraordinary re- modelling has taken place to this building. The colour scheme of black and silver is unique. The up to date gadjects caused us some difficluties as we were supposed to get all the imformation about the hotel and locality from an I. Pad in our room. It took several days to obtain information on paper. The position of the safe made it impossible to use .
The walk in shower was large, however, it needed a safety mat. The cpper roll top bath,Had we used it we would still be in it now it is not suitable for an elderly couple. The bedroom was well furnished and comfortable with an excellent veiw of Cromwells house and the Cathederal.
On arrival the reception was exellent our car parked, our luggage taken and a hair appoinment arranged whilst we sat in the spacious louge bar with a coffee. Overall the staff were friendly helpfull and well trained the female staff were out standing.

Room Tip: Did not inspect other rooms. We an an excellent room in the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver T, General Manager at Poets House, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear dustyAlgarve,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback. Your comments regarding the technical equipment have been duly noted and we are in the process of installing paper copies of all information in all guest rooms permanently.

The views of the Cathedral and Cromwell’s house are very commanding and I am delighted that you got to experience those. Thank you also for your comments regarding our staff and service all of which have been passed on to those concerned.

Thank you again for your review and I hope we can welcome you back when you are next in Ely.

Oliver

Been to Poets House? Share your experiences!