“Excellent Sunday roast” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
London, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Sunday roast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I went to visit Ely with my boyfriend and after exploring the town, decided to have lunch in Prince Albert. We had the pork and the beef Sunday roasts. Excellent traditional British food food! Very tasty and freshly made on the day. It is a shame we were too full to try the sticky toffee pudding which looked very promising. Would definitely recommend!

• Visited October 2013

“Highly Reccomended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I met my elderly parents in Ely in late September (they'd travelled from Warwickshire, I from Norfolk) Knowing 'lunch' was going to be the main item on the day's agenda (we were celebrating my birthday) I did some research to find a venue. 'The Prince Albert' stood out from all the reviews I read so we sought it out. Silver Street took a bit of finding - we had to ask a local for directions. When we got there I was a little worried. 'The Albert' looks like a back-street local boozer. Still, the reviews were great, it was well past one o'clock, we were hungry and had done a deal of walking: so, in we went!
So glad we did! We got a warm and friendly welcome from the polite, helpful young barman. Folk in the bar gave us a cheery hello. I ran my eye across the six beer pumps - three from Greene King (the IPA and Abbot Ale displayed old-fashioned pump clips which I haven't seen in years - a nice touch). I went for a pint of well-kept 'Osset Blonde' from Yorkshire - lovely.
Then for food: the lunch menu was brief - four starters and four mains but contained meat, fish and veggie options. In a small place with a wee kitchen and, I would guess, one chef on duty a limited menu is a good indicator that they prepare their food from fresh and to order.
Dad went for pork sausages with mash and greens. This dish came with onion gravy. Dad doesn't do onions - no problem, an onion-free gravy was provided. Mum and I chose beautifully cooked, tasty calve's liver with bacon, nicely-crunchy bubble-and-squeak and Abbot Ale gravy. All very successful!
We didn't indulge in puddings but the couple on the table next to us tucked into blackberry and apple crumble with gusto. They told us that it was their third visit in a month - they had been recommended to 'The Albert' by friends. Says it all really.
Next time I'm in the lovely city of Ely I'll be making a bee-line to 'The Albert' even if its just for a quiet pint, or two, of their fine ale ( no juke-box, no piped music, no fruit machines). Especially now that I know the short-cut down from the cathedral to Silver Street and this cracking little back street boozer that offers so much more.

Visited September 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good alternative”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Popped in for lunch with no expectations and both wife and i were very pleasantly supprised.
I had salmon with sampha and new potatoes which was cooked to perfection wife had wild mushroom gnocci which was delicious. Beer was also fantastic.

Visited August 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Some of the Best Pub Food in Ely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We eat out a lot in Ely but this was our fist visit to the Albert (we've been promising ourselves to go for ages).
We weren't disappointed. It's a lovely atmosphere in the bar. Really typical of a friendly English pub.
The menu was superb and far better than you normally get from a pub. We shared a mackerel paté starter followed by the burger and calves liver. All of these were delicious. Good wine washed them down well, with the staff recommending what to have with the meal.
Great service too. Very attentive without at all being pushy.
I would recommend this to anyone visiting Ely. We will be returning to dine..... lots!

• Visited September 2013
Ely, United Kingdom
“Great home cooked food in a traditional pub environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

We took friends to the Prince Albert during August and ate Sunday dinner with them. The pub was taken over in spring 2013 by the same team that run the Anchor in nearby Sutton Gault and it shows - the atmosphere is exactly what a local pub should be about, 6 real ales are kept impeccably and the food and service was faultless. This is our new favourite place to go!

• Visited August 2013