“Really excellent find for a pub lunch” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 92 Restaurants in Ely
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Really excellent find for a pub lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I'm told that people come up from London for this one, and I can see why. We two had:
Starters: Grilled dates wrapped in bacon in a mild grain mustard cream sauce
Main: Crispy ballotine of pheasant stuffed with onion, rosemary roasted potatoes, salsify and romanesco
... and pints of Guinness and a local real ale.

The food was absolutely delicious. We found he service to be very good too. For both of us, 40£.
We recommend reservations even for lunch.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Delicious lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I started with hake with brandade and several types of cauliflower. Fantastic dish as good as some I've had in Michelin starred places. My partner had mushroom risotto which he said was excellent. I followed with pistachio financier with squash, caramel and cardamom ice cream. Delicious but the financier was a slightly worrying bright green! Service was helpful and professional, but a bit slow because there seemed to be only two front of house staff coping with approaching 30 covers. Maybe they weren't expecting to busy on a Saturday lunchtime in October. The kitchen didn't seem to be affected, thankfully. All together good value at just over £50 for 2 mains, 1 pudding, 1 coffee, 2 glasses of wine and fizzy water. I'll go back.

Visited October 2013
Cambs
“A farewell meal spoilt”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The anchor has a strong reputation locally and features in the good Pub guide. On last night's showing it should be removed.
Our farewell meal was spoilt by very slow service and dishes which belied their pretentious description.
Most courses were disappointing but one particular starter of monkfish and smoked eel had to be seen to be believed. It amounted to little more than a garnish and could be eaten in one mouthful.
We did not want to spoil the occasion which was very important to all of us so we tended to laugh off the shortcomings of this meal.
But today after discussion and reflection we feel we need to complain about our experience.

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Best posh pub food ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant I don't want to recommend as it is my FAVORITE and I want to keep it a secret as it gets packed in there enough. I go everytime I visit my parents and I cannot fault it. Grilled dates wrapped in bacon is amazing. If you have never had these you definitely need to try them -they are the one thing that stays on the menu.
I went twice in one week and I was not disappointed. Such good value for money - especially the week day lunch set menu!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunch with friends”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Having dined here a few weeks ago thought we would bring our friends today for lunch, and wish we had not done so. Our table was pre booked however we waited 15 minutes before waitress attended to our table Were not given wine menu waited another 10 minutes before we had drinks order taken. Our food was well below standard beef very rare and complete plate covered in blood my pork was pink in middle and comprised mainly of fat, the vegetables were nice however none of us could cut our roast potatoes. By the time our dinner was represented to us vegetables were cold. On complaining were told our meats would be cooked a bit more but all their meats were cooked rare and the impression we got was tough if you did not like This attitude left us speechless and will not return. We had hoped for a more professional attitude and for the first time ever we did not leave a tip.

• Visited November 2012