“A Family Pub” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“A Family Pub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

The Milton Arms, a Hungry Horse affiliate bills itself as a family friendly place. Accepting Tesco Clubcard Vouchers as payment and offering a self-service style of attention.
On this occasion, being seated was easy, but the amount of families with very loud children it felt like trying to have dinner in a playground.
Being part of a family myself I thought it looked grand and well presented from the front, and having been there for drinks in the past it seemed good too.
But it seemed - on this occasion at least, that if you don't have young children, it's a bit too much like a playground.
The "order at the bar" nature seemed to be just a way to cover up a lack of staff.
Great potential, poor execution.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Harlow, United Kingdom
“Dont Bother”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Well it is a hungry horse, so everything is deep fried, but much of my meal was inedible. Some overcooked, some burned on the outside and raw on the inside. The chips and onion rings were nice though. We entered through an over 18s pub section - it was an old fashioned pub - just needed some smoke to make it authentic. We avoided the stares of the locals, who obviously did not want anyone on their territory. We then passed into the restaurant proper. Large parts looked like a bomb had hit it, with food and other detritus all over the floor. Kids out of their parents control were running round the tables and screaming the whole time. Normally we would not have stayed, but do not know the area and we were hungry. Staff seemed fed up and in no mood to be helpful or to clean the floor. We wont be back anytime soon. We have visited the Moorhen hungry horse a few times in Harlow, which is usually OK, but this is really not a nice place at all.

Visited March 2013
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Exceeded expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We just left the Milton Arms and both of us were delighted with our food. It was tasty hot and fresh. No long wait for the food and mine had hot and cold on it and for the first time i can remember when i have been out, it had not been sat under a heat lamp! (the lettuce was lovely cold and crisp) The flavours were lovely and there was plenty of it. Service was very good too.
The only thing that annoyed me a little was the fruit flys everywhere.
Would definitely go back again though.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Spalding, United Kingdom
“Also disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

First and last visit! After driving from London we fancied a break and a pleasant meal. The 2 for £8.50 seemed attractive enough and we opted for the chicken breast. However it was dry, very small portion and with mash potato and peas. Very similar to a supermarket ready meal! Perhaps it was? Menus also very greasy.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Brilliant family pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I've been here on a number of occasions and have never had a bad visit. I mainly go with my husband and 4 children but we have also gone with my parents and my husbands Dad and Partner. I think the food is great value for money and very good size portions. I like to try a variety of things but my husband always goes for the all day breakfast. We haven't had a bad meal yet and the good thing aswell is service is very quick :-) My kids also love it as you have the outside play area. I will def return and I always recommend it to others :-)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere