“Surprisingly poor” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Cambridge
“Surprisingly poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We love trying out new places and after having Clowns recommended, we had to try it.

Oh how disappointing! The place is quite dark and dingy inside, but it smelled nice so we didn't back out slowly hoping nobody had noticed us. In hindsight I wish we did.

Everything is precooked and displayed in Deli counters. They take a slice, put it on a plate and microwave it on the counter. The cakes are all shop bought processed rubbish. The chocolate cake managed to be dry and soaking wet at the same time.

The only redeeming feature was the coffee, which was really quite good - but you need to drink it sitting at sticky tables and hope you don't need the toilet because they haven't been cleaned for a week.

I told my friend about our experience and he said, "Yeah, but did you see all the clowns?" I did, but it hardly warranted a visit.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

cambridge
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I believe in supporting independent cafes, I really do, and hate to write negatively about one that has become a bit of a local treasure in Cambridge. I visited at around 11.45 on a Saturday morning, the place was pretty empty. Inside is scruffy and sticky and the loos are unpleasant, although the effect was exacerbated by a toddler sitting there with the door open! On the loo theme, the cheesecake was even worse; nasty, oily and bought in cheaply from somewhere, it tasted of lemon cleaning fluid and left an oily tang in the mouth. The coffee was decent, but small.
I will visit one more time and eat lunch before I decide to avoid entirely.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I started going to Clowns years ago, it was great then. For a few years I missed out on the delicious food and great service. Then recently went back. It's still GREAT! Service with a smile, great food, great atmosphere and above all the tastiest freshly made lasagne I have ever eaten! This is one of Cambridge's best cafés, if not the best!

“Great Food and Drink”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Nice busy Italian Cafe - resonable prices and quick service - the Beef Lasange was very meaty and tasty the cafe latte was generous - not rushed - if your looking for somewhere quiet then go elsewhere this is Italy at its best

Crewkerne, United Kingdom
“Atmospheric, tasty food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

A noisy Italian bar-style cafe. Good range of food, good value. Have to queue and wait at busy times but it's worth it. The platter of parma ham, mozarella and tomato was the tastiest I have ever had and extremely generous - converted me to a mozarella fan.

Visited February 2013